don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    I'll do ya one even better (k, maybe not). During the S3&K ending medley, the lead instrument in Flying Battery Act 2 repeats the first "verse" twice. The last note for both verses should be A4 and E5 respectively. Instead both verses end in A4. In 20 years, I think I've seen only one other person mention it (and even that was in response to me mentioning it, if I recall correctly). To be fair though, it's pretty easy to miss if you're not paying much attention; hell, I didn't even notice it until I was bored-ly listening to the wave files from the S&KC screensaver folder some time in the early 00's or so. I'd beaten the Gen/MD version several times up to that point and never noticed it (and this mistake doesn't exist in the S&KC version of the medley for either the GM or FM Synth versions).

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, I wasn't aware of this stuff, and hearing about it here and now is just making me realise how on brand this thread is for Retro. These are things the people working on the collection probably don't even know about, and yet here you guys are, hoping for it to be fixed. Not that I think it's unfair to hope for such things, mind, just that they're extremely niche that only fans as dedicated as those in Retro could ask for.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    We finally got the full interview with Iizuka over at Sonic Stadium and it was a very good read.. Regarding Origins, the interviewer blatantly asked if the games will be using Taxman’s engine or will they be M2 ports.. Iizuka of course didn't go into detail (we discussed his answer a couple of days ago) but the fact he steered away from that makes me think they will be the Taxman remasters.

I might just be pulling at straws here so we will have to wait a bit longer to find out

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    That doesn't add up to me in the best way. Like, why prolong that? The M2 versions have their fans too.

So right now, I think we could be getting *both*. Can't really go wrong by taking that route.

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

I recorded some gameplay of "Sonic Forever", AKA Heavily Moded Taxman Sonic 1 today just to show to people how far we've come in modifying this game since the 90s, and to show a concept of what's possible for this collection. You can now play (as sonic) with Tails+flight+assist, Spindash, Peel Out, instashield, drop dash, Super forms+cancel, elemental shields, save games, widescreen, extra routes, and an extra special stage all in the 'same' run. With some of these developments having only become possible with mods since the decompilation was released 4 months ago.

Goes to show what 30 years and dedicated fans can do to such an old game if determined enough...
    (Although if Sonic Team just adds drop dash to the Taxman port, we'd pretty much have this version)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Idk if it means anything; but felt it worth mentioning that the footage used for the Anniversary Symphony matches the Origins trailer exactly

Stealth/Taxman Sonic 1/2, Emulated 3&K (with Presentation and credits naming the games as a single game)

As an aside; love that Falk managed to get the version of Believe in Myself he did for Before the Sequel in there lol

7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Yeah that was to be expected.. 3&K’s widescreen port is not ready to be shown yet so not much meaning to that

Very odd to not have any Sonic CD songs in the symphony though

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Sonic CD rep was Crush 40 Sonic Boom complete with Sonic Boom Live Event logo.

9. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Yep you’re right.. must have missed that part during my first watch.. color me blind

10. I told my brother last night that my predictions for what we'd hear would be 99%:

>Sonic 1
    >Sonic 2
    >Adventure 1
    >Adventure 2
    >Unleashed
    >Colors
    >Lost World
    >Forces

I was lowkey surprised to hear almost no adventure music in there at all.

Edit: Wait fuck. This is the origins thread :/

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I doubt that meant anything. I think the only thing that we really know about Origins just yet is that it's super early in development and that they don't have any tangible footage of Origins specifically to show. The remaster footage of S1/2 made sense before widescreen looked better on the big screen than 4:3.

12. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    Sam Sloulin from Sam's Procrastinates recorded and edited a lot of the gameplay footage in the Sonic 30th Anniversary Symphony. He mentioned this in his Sonic Symphony reaction video during the Intermission.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Can someone explain to me how if TaxStealth was involved with origins why would SEGA be hiding their involvement?

Doesn't really make sense to me, enough that I think they aren't.

14. I can think of two reasons for them hiding the developer for the time being, although I do believe it's an odd tactic regardless of what their actaul rationale is. The first is that the game may have only very recently been greenlit, and with no footage available to show they just don't want to risk jumping the gun by announcing the current developer for fear of it not working out with them. It doesn't make a ton of sense, but in the event that say EveningStar was currently contracted for it yet the actual release was completed by M2, then that would end up being a marketing nightmare. The second reason that popped into my head is that with the game clearly being early in development and with nothing to show off, contract negotiations could still be underway.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    The third reason is that Sega often makes questionable decisions.

16. As others have pointed out, as suspicious as it is for Iizuka/Sonic Team to have not announced the developer alongside the title and concept, the omission can't really be used to rule any team out.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    It's possible that they simply think it'll generate more buzz announcing the full details when the first actual trailer drops. Remember the cheers when the dev logos appeared in Sonic Mania's first trailer?

18. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Hopefully this has more merit than all the people on here who swore Mania 2 was a sure thing and anyone who thought otherwise doesn't understand the gaming industry but I'd love to be wrong here.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I lost my mind too when Christian’s name popped up in the Mania reveal.. that’s when I knew that the game would be in good hands.. here’s hoping Origins get some sort of reveal like that too.

“From the developers that brought you Sonic Mania comes the true, definitive classic Sonic compilation.. Sonic Origins!! Featuring full 16:9 widescreen support and 60 FPS gameplay of all the classic Sonic games (and a special remastered soundtrack for each game by Tee Lopes). Get ready to experience the origins of Sonic like you’ve never have before with additional content and exclusive features! Coming in Spring 2022”

Yeah that’s my dream scenario there :V

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    I agree that the idea of Sega hiding any involvement from Christian & Simon makes no real sense, and yet I feel like that's exactly why so many are assuming that's what the company is doing. Looking at their decisions through time, one could almost get the impression that not making sense was just part of their M.O. (even when the going was good), especially within the past 2̶0̶ 15 years. I'm saying this (as) affectionately (as possible).