don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Can't get over what a boneheaded move it was to redo the soundtrack. Who asked for that?

Anyways, I enjoyed Colors at the time but I doubt it would resonate with me that much anymore. The game felt like a breath of fresh air during a time where 3D Sonic games were contentious at best, but it's ultimately a largely-2D platformer with some pretty stilted movement. Would much rather just opt for Mania or the other classic games if I need a 2D Sonic fix.

2. How much you guys wanna bet that people will back-port stages from forces into colors and they'll actually play better lmao?

3. I'm curious if people also will port Generations' Planet Wisp to Ultimate because... lol?

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Oh please no

5. _Sidle

_Sidle

via the official Sonic JP Twitter:
    [​IMG]
    My blind idiot translation:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And we get a fugly Keychain.

Wtf

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

A keychain that has nothing to do with the game, and it just a recycled piece of merchandise from the movie campaign in Japan.

Happy 30th Birthday, Sonic!

8. There's some irony to be had that the country where Sonic supposedly is less popular, is doing more for his anniversary than the regions where he is more popular.

9. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    This, I suppose. Maybe it's just me, but I find nothing good enough or bad enough in Ultimate to give me a different impression from the original game (and I've played it this week). Not saying I'm not noticing changes at all, just that I'm not "nitpicky" enough (in lack of a better word, I don't find any of you nitpicky either) about those details.

That aside, the gameplay video where I noticed the music was a remix felt also like the track was plastered over the footage and not in-game sound, so maybe they cheated us somehow in that case. I wouldn't find weird if they added new remixes so every act had its own track instead of reusing the old ones like the original did.

Not sure if it's worth the trade, but the original game keeps your current playtime when returning you to a checkpoint and, if you spend long enough on the level, it will tell you "time limit exceeded" and won't let you score points. If the way Tails works here helps dealing with that penalty or any other tied to checkpoints (such as losing whichever red rings you've gotten after it), it would be indeed some kind of assistance. Some red rings would be a lot easier to obtain with Tails' help because of this, too.

10. Reposting my post from a few weeks ago containing information where you can order this (ships internationally): https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/985702/

11. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Noticed something interesting in the gameplay videos, another new object, a "100" ring. It's in the Tropical Resort 3 video just before the curve that runs up the side of the wall, and it's in the Asteroid Coaster 1 video before the trick jump. What's odd is that in the Asteroid Coaster gameplay, the player collects it, gets 100 rings, and Sonic starts sparkling for a few seconds. I wonder, is this just a celebratory visual effect, or is it some kind of new mechanic? I thought it was invincibility until I saw the 100 number on the ring.

There's also some new areas added to Tropical Resort 3 that seem to be accessed by the Ghost Wisp.

12. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    SEGA America producer said (or at least implied) that 100 rings makes you Invincible in the interview. I don't know if that's exclusive to the 100 Ring item or is also if they're manually obtained, but....

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Something I picked up on watching footage the other night, tails not only pulls you out of holes but he now narrates what's going on because obviously people were getting lost and not understanding that killing badniks will make the next area accessible, so tails needs to tell you that now.

IDK why I preordered this over monkey ball but I am hating this ultimate version more and more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Given that in the original game, you're asked at the start whether or not you want Tails hints, I think it's likely this speech can be turned off as well. Forces let you do it too.

15. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I think it was in the shitty Rerez video of Forces, he was complaining about how "buggy" the game was, and didn't piece together that you had to kill some enemies to activate a pully in an Avatar stage. I think this is arguably something that needed to happen/return. It might happen a lot in Heroes and 06 but there was good reason for it.

16. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

This comes off as hyperbolic to me.
    You don't need to be made to restart the entire game over again for the lives system to matter. The punishment of having to start the level over as opposed to starting from the last checkpoint is a reasonable punishment that acts as an adequate deterent from failure, while encouraging the player to perform well in order to do things like aquire lives in order to give themselves more attempts at a specific section.
    The game would have to already be insultingly easy for the lives system itself to feel like it doesn't matter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Not to mention that if he's that upset...well, canceling preorders is a thing.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I actually think the 100-ring invincibility thing is interesting. I'd like to hear more about these kinds of changes.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly it sounds very superficial to me. A bunch of stages will be over before you can collect that many rings, and boosting makes Sonic invincible for the most part anyway. It's entirely inoffensive, but does feel rather...gratuitous.

The Perfect Homing Attack however...I like that a lot. Rewards not just mashing the button and its use is going to be persistent and relevant from the start of the game right through to the end of Asteroid Coaster, if I'm coming to be facetious about it. I can see it being incorporated a lot into speedrun strats.

I suppose beyond that, I'd like to see moves like the stomp and slide be cancellable - have Sonic boost as soon as he hits the ground or slides under an obstacle, and you go straight into boosting at top speed, maybe not even losing any of the gauge at first, like when you're in max tension mode in Sonic Rush.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Oh yes, how did I forget that. The perfect homing attack is way sway. Boost games are at their best when they reward rhythm and timing.