don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. You rely have to be impressed by how a game as innocuous as Colors has sparked this much controversy over what pretty much amount to a few questionable cosmetic changes.

Like, I haven't even commented on it mainly because I don't think its a big deal that impacts the core game much, but if I said that anywhere I would be eaten alive by the "YOU HAVE NO STANDARDS REEEE" crowd. Legitimately got told that "im part of the problem" for daring to not constantly critique this game lol.

Anyway, music is....meh. its not bad but I don't get why they did it. Graphics are definitely worse tho, no argument there.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

When comparing the tunnels in Sweet Mountain between the original and Ultimate, I think some of the visual differences are inexcusable. It's clear that Ultimate doesn't look at all the way that it's supposed to. And then you have Sonic's non-animated eyes that make his level intro and victory animations look awkward. Again, it's clear that something isn't right there. The same can also be said of the extra sound effects on boosters and hoops.

The changes are all aesthetic. I'd say they're downgrades over the original and clearly miss the mark, but they aren't so egregious that they ruin the game. It's just not as good as the original and it's inaccurate to the original. If the original didn't exist for comparison, Ultimate would still not look particularly good because of its naff lighting. But even with all of that in mind... It's still Colours. It's still the same game. You might prefer one version over the other, but for what it's worth they're still basically the same game. The gameplay, the core content, it's all the same. If you liked the Wii game, this is the same but looks and sounds a bit different. That's it.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I can’t link it now because I’m on mobile, but a video of Tails Save leaked and it’s pretty much just the same exact thing as lives. The only change seems to be the added flair of Tails dropping you off.

4. _Sidle

_Sidle

Source(?), Mirror
    (I haven't the foggiest how Imgur video embeds work)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. MH MD

MH MD

I mean, this is exactly how i imagined it would work, no it's not the exact same, cause tails put you right before you fell, not in a checkpoint or the beginning of stage

6. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Even if tails is just the more flashy life counter I like seeing him help sonic like that.

Now, if he grabbed sonic from a pit and placed him AFTER the danger zone I would hate it.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh ya, or I could maybe imagine if you kept dying maybe there'd be an option for Tails to fly you past the danger? Kind of like Lost World's system with that wing item that brought you to the next checkpoint if you kept dying.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

And the fact you're dropped near the place you died, as opposed to the last checkpoint.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Im assuming if you run out of Tails assists you'd go back to the last checkpoint right?

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    So it's Prince of Persia 2008?

Works for me.

11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I wish Tails would fly down into where you fell kinda like Lakitu in Mario Kart.

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

So does Tails save you from all kinds of deaths, or just bottomless pits?

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    You know what this actually reminds me of, thinking about it? Jumping into spikes in the Sonic Boom 3ds games. It was certainly a lot faster of a respawn, though, and your character basically just turned into pure energy and teleported back to wherever you last touched solid ground.

14. Frostav

Frostav

Damn, they fucked up the two parts of Colors that weren't already shit (graphics and music)? I'm glad they're making those more consistent with the rest of the game, frankly :eng99:

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

Makes me wonder what the point of the Tails Assist is, honestly. If you're already removing game overs by no longer having normal lives, why not just keep it like Forces and go back to the last checkpoint? The Tails Assist is basically invisible checkpoint resets anyway but taking longer for some reason.

16. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Flavor. They're using it to show how Sonic and Tails are besties.

17. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    It's hard for me to tell since I've not really played Colors, but how far along in the stage is that Tails Assist clip and is the timer that shows up at the end an accurate time to have at that point in the Wii version? I'm asking because I want to know if the timer is still going off-screen when Tails drops you onto the stage again. If that turns out to be the case, then I think the huge chunk of time lost is an insane penalty for falling down a bottomless pit and is in my opinion so much worse than losing a life.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It's been too long since I played to remember, but if whoever played for that clip wasn't good at the game, then I'd say the timer is meaningless. Theoretically the Tails Assist could be quick but the player took 5 minutes to play through a 2 minute long level (just making up numbers).

19. _Sidle

_Sidle

Comparing to this longplay (in Planet Wisp Act 4), the timer appears to briefly stop while dead/being flown back. + - Forums do not support advanced playback with timestamp links :argh:  

20. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    So respawning just takes forever for no real reason. Good to know, I guess the game wants to waste time for the hell of it.