don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    As much as I'd love for Sonic 2022 to be on the level of BotW or even the new Ratchet & Clank game, it does seem like an unfair comparison. Those games are made to be flagship titles for new hardware and so they would naturally have a large budget behind them. They need to give people a very good reason to want to buy a Nintendo Switch or a PS5

Maybe if SEGA were still in the console business I could see things potentially being very different in terms of how they handle Sonic as one of ther core franchises, but we aren't living in that timeline lol

Hell, sometimes I'm impressed Sonic still exists. SEGA could've just dropped out of gaming altogether in 2001 and Sonic could've died alongside the Dreamcast ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  2. MH MD

MH MD

This comparison actually make zelda looks worse, not better, cause it went silent for TWO WHOLE YEARS,without a single piece of information in that time, i don't know why it's acceptable for Nin to go silent for 2 years but not for sonic team to go silent for mere months.
    in that timeframe of 2 years, not only we will learn more about sonic rangers, but it will be released too before it will complete 2 years.
    meanwhile, even now....WE DON'T EVEN KNOW THE ACTUAL NAME OF BOTW2! , they still refer to it as "The Sequel to BOTW"

3. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Let's also not forget Bayonetta 3, we still don't know a single thing about that lmao

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    We've had two E3s now where we got a new 2D Metroid from Mercurysteam and a confirmation that Prime 4 exists with no further information.

5. MH MD

MH MD

I just like to make fun of it now.
    Like i can excuse going silent for 1 year, 2 years, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe 3 years, but that's the limit, any more than that and it's just unacceptable.
    The game definitely gone through development hell, i remember some sources i trust that pretty much said the same thing, that was early 2020, at that time Bayonetta 2 director left Platinum games, which just confirmed that the game is not in a good shape, at least Metroid Prime 4 were honest about it and changed development teams so i can give it a slack for not showing this year.

It's especially funny to me as DMC fan, cause at 2017 when B3 was announced, some fans of it were like "Bayonetta lives while DMC is dead"
    After it, DMC5 was announced and released in the span of 9 months, then after like year and a half, DMC5 Special Edition was also announced for next gen, released, and Vergil DLC was released to og DMC5.
    and we STILL don't know anything more about Bayonetta 3 than we did in 2017. it's kinda ridiculous.

But i like to think of it as a karma for those fans and like to remind them of this every opportunity i can, while secretly hoping the game -if it still exists- end up being good and worth the wait.

6. That's true, Sonic's days as a killer app are long gone. I'm just saying, perhaps it is unfair, but you can't erase history unfortunately.

People are always going to hold Sonic to a higher standard because that's just how much his legacy means to people and fans refuse to accept any less. Unfortunately, Sega doesn't seem to share that sentiment :V

It says a lot when Yakuza gets better treatment than Sonic nowadays, really shows how much Sega cares about Sonic. And it's understandable from a business perspective, why put effort into a franchise that's consistently underperformed like Sonic versus the success Yakuza has received.

But man, it really fucking stings when you're aware of how big Sonic used to be and how Sega used to treat him.

7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't like the long silence when Nintendo or any company does it. I much prefer it when the game is only a few months out and you get a nice and short marketing campaign.

8. Nintendo honestly aren't much better than Sega at marketing. But their track record is better, so people are more willing to put up with it.

As opposed to Sonic...

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    How did we get from one Sega IP (Sonic) to another Sega IP (Bayonetta)?

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    In Nintendo's case, I believe that people give them benefit of the doubt, because games they produce are often top quality.

Even when the games have some controversy around them (I'm looking at You Pokémon Sword/Shield) these are still playable and are selling high amounts.

It's funny You know, I remember Yakuza struggling to sell in the west. I remember the weird Mark Hamil Majima. And now? Yakuza is getting bigger and bigger. That's great actually, I played Kiwami, Zero and Like a Dragon - great titles. It's actually funny to think, that Toshihiro Nagoshi stated once that he would like to try and direct a Sonic Game. It could be a surreal experience, and I mean it in a good way.

Do we even know anything about people behind Sonic 2022? I mean, like a confirmed information, not speculation?

11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    According to Iizuka in the recent interview:
    “Ever since the release of Sonic Forces, Sonic Team in Japan was trying many different approaches to deliver a next-gen Sonic experience. While celebrating 30 years of Sonic titles and thinking about what the modern gameplay experience should be for a Sonic title, we also needed to think about what path forward we should plan to take for the next decade.”

Seems like it’s Sonic Team in Japan, which is likely the usual suspects but could also include other R&D2 members like the Sakura Taisen staff.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Come on guys, try and stay on topic. Please don't make us have to lock the thread for a few months like we did the Colours one.

13. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Arnold Schwarzenegger used to be the biggest movie star in the world. Now he's not. Acting like the past is the present is going to frustrate you, yes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Honestly, given that we're in the same boat as when you locked the Colors thread (knowing basically nothing beyond "it exists"), you may as well lock it.

15. Nova

Nova

I remain skeptical

16. Well if there's one thing Sonic fans are good at, it's clinging to past glory :V

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, news could come sooner, but I wouldn't expect them to come before SC Ultimate is released. Let them promote a game at a time.

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I've said this before, but it's a bit of a miracle that Sega's still doing 3D Sonic games of any kind. Especially given how 3D Sonic games are regarded outside of the fandom. Donkey Kong, Rayman, Mega Man, Castlevania... *so* many series that once made the leap to 3D jumped right back as soon as sidescrollers were cool again.

Considering interviews that came out around Forces and Mania, it might be the fact that Sega wants to market Sonic games to kids, specifically, and is worried THEY won't want to play anything that looks older. Remember Iizuka's surprise that kids were super into Mania, too? Whereas the revivals of those other series skewed more toward satisfying existing fans than making new ones, especially given the difficulty of the DKC Returns games, modern Mega Mans, etc.

19. Might have more to do with the fact that Sonic has more mainstream appeal (read: Merchandising) than those other franchises. Like, I don't see many people outside of the gaming community really acknowledge Mega Man or Donkey Kong at all, to say nothing of Rayman. Mega Man's only had one game in the past couple of years and has mostly faded into obscurity otherwise, and Donkey Kong has had far more appearances in Mario spin offs than in his own games. And the less said about Rayman, the better...

Despite the quality of the games, Sonic has had a consistent presence in the public consciousness, probably because there's more ways to engage with the series beyond just the video games. Even if you've never touched a Sonic game in your life, nine times out of ten, you probably know of Sonic. And that's not even getting into the fact that he just had a movie released worldwide last year.

Can't exactly blame Sega for wanting to capitalize on that; they're more or less ensuring Sonic's legacy......it'd be nice if they at least acknowledged the fact that people besides kids play these games however, but alas.

20. Wraith

Wraith

I want to add that Sonic fans should just count themselves lucky that AA Sonic games still come out regularly. A lot of Sonic's old peers are hardly around at all anymore despite carrying themselves way better than he did in terms of quality. Yeah, sure, maybe the scale of it all is disappointing compared to one of the biggest franchises on earth, but things could still be a lot worse.