don't click here

Your thoughts

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Guess Who, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Yes, I'll admit associating with you is bad for one's reputation. Speaking of which, I'd buy shadow but I need new skates and that sexy new pair of tripps at HT. So I have no moneys to buy it with ;)

2. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    IGN's review wasn't far off with Sonic Rush...this could easily be the best Sonic game ever in the eyes of many fans - old and new alike. It's in my top three for sure.

The music is annoying outside of the game, but it somehow fits the gameplay perfectly. Because it's so fast, you feel like your playing to the music, almost like a Sonic-fied DDR on crack. Everything controls well, the bosses are innovative, and everything stays fresh. It's different from the Advance games in a good way, but the rail-grinding system is still there. But for once, I actually like it. The ability to do tricks to increase the rush meter fits the Sonic formula very well. You don't go out of your way to do tricks - you just press extra buttons ® while you do what you've always done.

Switching from screen to screen was one of my big concerns when I heard about this game. Won't it be confusing? Somehow, it's not. Sonic Team did a wonderous job in making the transition so seamless that it feels like Sonic was meant to be played on two screens. Graphically, each screen has managed to impress me. It's the closest we're gonna get to a 3D sidescroller.

My only big complaint is the voice acting. Tails and Cream play the part of cheerleaders for you when one screen is not in use (IE, boss fights). They comment on EVERY LITTLE THING. When changing levels on the World Map, Tails screeches "OK SONIC!", "ALRIGHT!", "YES!", "LET'S GO SONIC!", "YOU CAN DO IT SONIC!", etc....and there's no way to turn them off. It's nice that they're using the features the DS has to offer, but then again, sometimes it's more of a feature when things are left out. It's not nearly as distracting as in Sonic Heroes, but it's noticable.

I'll have a full review up after I completely finish the game. I'm almost done with Sonic (6 emeralds) and I haven't started with Blaze yet.

3. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    Shadow the hedgehog? Can't give a fair review. Played for about an hour and just aid "fuck this". I'll continue playing later.

Sonic Rush? By FAR the best Sonic game sience SEGA strayed from their own consoles. Unlike SonicADV2, the speed is maintained without making the levels into a right-fest (mainly by maintaining your rush meter).

4. Jayenkai

Jayenkai

Went to door, picked up parcel... Odd shape.. This is no DS game.. Zelda-Wind Waker, earned using Nintendo Stars? I ordered that weeks ago.. Where's my pre-ordered Sonic Rush, god damnit..?

5. Juki

Juki

Oldbie
    Manchester, England
    definitely not Terra Galactica
    Ahahahahha, ditto - exactly that. I.. really don't like Shadow at all. I'll try and give it another go tomorrow or something, but for now. No. Not good at all. -.-

As for Sonic Rush - damn, this is one of the best GAMES (not sonic games) I've played in a long time. The graphics are outstanding, frankly, and the gameplay kicks sonic advance 1/2/3 in the nuts. The 'rush' ability is a really good idea, it works very well. Also, the special stages are god-damned awesome. I've got 5/7 emeralds so far. It's a pretty easy game but the later levels can be quite challenging, which is good. Also had a go of link-up - single cart, every level. 0wn.

Basically, got a DS? Get this game. Not got a DS? Get this game anyway. Get the DS later. It's that good. =P

Edit: 6 emeralds now. If you can get the seventh, you're superhuman. o_O
    Edit 2: and I just did it ^_^

6. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Hmm, I may invest in Rush before Christmas.

7. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Have you played Final Fantasy Tactics? Very similar game. Being an FF fanboy I prefer FFT (it's actually my favourite game), but they're both so similar. I haven't played through too much of Hoshigami though.

8. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Yea, I'm having a hard time getting the 7th emerald too =P I cant even get passed the first half.

9. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    They got a late shipping out here, so I still don't have the game(s). I'm going to check again tomorrow.

10. Maxtream

Maxtream

Got Rush. And.......
    It's good. It comes close to the "2D Sonic Game we've wanted since Genessis days" status quo. It really reminds me on Sonic 3, and the boss battles are, in a word, beautfiful. The sound is too original to compare to any other sonic game, and Blaze is a very cool character. The cut scenes and 3d scenes are of near Game Cube quality.
    I give it a 9.

11. Ultima

Ultima

London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Guess I'll save for a DS then.

12. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    All you madmen claiming Rush is good are clearly either braindamaged or brainwashed or both.

13. Ultima

Ultima

London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Guess you're the only one not braindamaged then (in your mind)... maybe that says something ;P

14. Juki

Juki

Oldbie
    Manchester, England
    definitely not Terra Galactica
    What are you smoking and where can I get some?

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Darn...I REALLY wish they didn't make this for a handheld.

The last handheld I bought was the GBA, and I only own a few games for it.

16. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    Quickman does not have real ultimate power.

Well I just finished the entire game off. And well, the last boss is dissapointingly easy. Reminds me of Sonic 3's boss somewhat.

And I'll tell you this right now, I have a feeling that Blaze will be back in future games, because she doesn't have to stay in her dimensions (well, at least that's what I can tell from the textless scenes at the end)

17. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I can't believe I just payed for a game. It's been ages. Maybe the fact that I spent real money on this game is what makes it so fun that it almost makes up for Sonic Advance 3.

"it almost makes up for Sonic Advance 3"
    powerfull imagery, no?

18. Not very powerful if you don't think it needed making up for in the first place...

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    would one of you be so kind as to upload a sample of Blaze's voice?

20. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Traded in Sonic Advance 3, got 9 bucks. Best deal ever, I can't believe it was worth that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.