don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I knew they weren't gonna change much but I wish they at least fixed the weird jankyness when turning left and right at top speed, I always though it was a glitch or some technical limitation but I guess it's intentional?

Also, I have to say the game looks stunning in HD. I really started appreciating Colours' aesthetics after Ultimate's reveal trailer because the original version was so...muddy and low res.
    I always though Colours looked bad and never gave it a second thought, but these screenshots and gameplay videos really made me see it in a new light.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I like the additions to the homing attack. It doesn't solve all of the issues I have with the move, but it's a nice addition at least. Thing is, the homing attack in Colours (and Forces) is jank as hell, and relates more to the camera than Sonic's position. The corridor-based level design and excess of 2D means that you don't normally notice is, but the range of the HA is absurdly long and trying to aim is a bit of a crapshoot. Sonic will prefer to target an enemy that's at the other end of the room than one that's right next to him if the enemy is off camera. It might sound odd saying that I want the HA to target someone off-screen, but when that enemy was on screen half a second ago and you were already planning on making it the next in your chain, it's incredibly off-putting.

Anyway, this footage looks okay. Better than the trailer, but like little more than an upscaled Wii game. The lighting is still pretty flat. Sonic's model still has a flat line drawn on for his mouth. He doesn't switch between animations smoothly; you'll notice it on his run cycle as he swerves left and right. Colours still looks great as a Wii game, but Ultimate doesn't look particularly good. It just looks okay. The pop-in present in Planet Wisp (look at the foliage in the grinding section) is pretty shameful though. Yikes.

3. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I went back to previous levels to try and get the red rings so I could be Super Sonic in Terminal Velocity. Btw, update: I've played Sonic Colours today (which meant going from a 10h of total playtime to a 12h one), and I've found I don't hate the whole game, I just hate that f**ing level: I've been getting some of those red rings after the huge hermit crab killed me a dozen of times. I could write a whole essay about my new point of view too; not only is it (slightly) better now, but I didn't see it that different from adventure games this time.

4. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    My vote goes towards them being for an in-game store or random item capsules (like Team Sonic Racing) for the extra Sonic items.

5. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Well it's nice to know I'm not crazy because that was always the impression I got as well. There would be sections where it feels like the homing attacks range just changes wildly, like it's based on the enemy instead of where Sonic is. Makes it feel unnatural.

6. I quite like the idea of Tails Save replacing lives, but it is interesting to note in this video that 100 rings does not equal 1 Tails Save, though!

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It's super weird and I don't understand why it's like that. But yeah, nice that someone agrees with me. People often say the HA is bad in Forces and point to a part at the beginning of Egg Gate to show why (see 0:25 in this video).

I think it might go back to Unleashed Wii, which I think Colours was built on? Just guessing cause I don't actually know. Either way, that game was the first time we saw the HA feel like it was relative to the camera (right down to the difficulty in choosing a target and the fluctuating range), and like Colours and Forces there was no camera control in Unleashed Wii.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Colors is built on the Secret Rings/Black Knight codebase if I’m recalling correctly. I’m pretty sure Unleashed used a different engine.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, Colours was split off from Generations' in-dev engine. That's why there's a fair few shared enemies, amongst other things.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  10. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Not a fan. Colors was already a very easy game if you ask me.
    That was the case in the original Colors already. You only got extra lives by picking em up or from Rank screens.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Ah I suppose that makes sense! I missed Colors the first time around so I'm looking forward to playing it for the first time in September.

I like the idea of Tails Save because it seems like it'd be more fun to keep going past a bottomless pit rather than restarting from a checkpoint. I also liked the elimination of "lives" from Forces and instead just counting the amount of "retries" it took per level. That was one aspect of Forces that I thought was a good innovation.

12. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

SEGA doing everything within its power to make sure Tails is never playable in a 3D Sonic game.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Someone mentioned on the Discord not too long ago that PolygonJim did some looking into Colors’ code and said on IRC that it was a descendant of the Secret Rings codebase. There is some stuff shared between Colors and Generations though, so it’s probably a combination of the two.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It's kinda a crazy amalgamation of everything Sonic Team did by that point. It's Hedgehog Engine but it uses Nintendo formats (like NiGHTs: Journey of Dreams) and I guess has vestigial connections to Secret Rings / Black Knight / Unleashed Wii. Although those are certainly the smaller connections it has if they're even there.

15. simtek34

simtek34

MN
    More gameplay from Future Games Show, and MAN, that is a nice remix.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  16. RikohZX

RikohZX

The Homing Attack talk reminded me of the Zavok boss in Forces and its final boss equivalent. The only 3D fights in the game and it shows, because Sonic/the Avatar can only attack in the initial direction they were facing when they jumped like some weird cone, despite the game having some air control. The result was almost this weird tank control-esque homing attack setup where you had to dedicate to facing whatever you needed to attack with the initial jump or you were crap out of luck.

EDIT: Also, watching that second footage, you can outright notice that the Laser Wisp trail is totally faded like everything else is, I don't think it did that in the original.

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    All these changes to lighting, along with the extra stuff, REALLY makes that Ultimate caption more like DX :V. I can't wait to see how people make the PC version closer to the original.

18. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Didn't like that. Made collecting rings and holding on to them feel kinda pointless in Forces. I find Tails Saves along with this puts the point of checkpoints into question, etc. What's the point of bottomless pits if not to actually be an obstacle to avoid for platforming poorly?

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Tails Assist might not be something that any of us feel is necessary, but I think there's a lot of merit to it. Sonic games don't play like most other platformers, which is to say, they don't play like Mario games. And of course, they SHOULDN'T, but no matter which style we're talking about, they all have some sort of focus on variable speed, physics, and momentum. As such, they can be REALLY difficult and frustrating for people who aren't already familiar with them.

To wit, according to this page, less than 40% of Sonic Generations players on Steam ever make it out of the Classic Era. Only one in five players finish the game. And you'll see similarly dire numbers with most other Sonic games, like Mania. So, offering up a mode where players who aren't so familiar with Sonic games have more leeway to make mistakes is bound to be a good thing for the series. I *do* hope it can be turned off, but even if it can't, eh... we're not gonna fall in pits anyway, right guys? ;)

Regarding the footage: In addition to the music, I think the sound mixing is different as well. I can actually understand the Eggman PA announcements, haha.

It's notable that Sega seems to be aware of how to put its best foot forward. So far, every stage has been a "main act," and all the footage released seems to be played by people who know what they're doing. It's been a common problem at trade shows that footage of Sonic games is accompanied by those aforementioned people who have no idea how to play Sonic games, and the game comes out looking worse for it. So it's nice to see Colors showcased in a better light!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Oh boy, if that isn't true about Mania. I remember lots of threads about Mania on NeoGAF or ResetEra or whatever constantly asking HOW to play the game because they just didn't understand.

I don't get it myself, but whatever. Probably because they thought the "Gotta Go Fest" meme was actually true.