don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So I gave in and decided to pre order the game.. I have the original Wii version but I never got around to finishing it.. for some reason I don’t remember why I never beat it.. maybe completing the game 100% to me was a pain in the ass (my mind is pretty foggy at the moment; I’m usually someone who likes to fully complete games)

Is it worth it/better to just finish the game or complete it??

2. _Sidle

_Sidle

Just finishing it to see the credits is good enough, unless you're compelled to hunt down 180 red star rings across 36(?) acts for Game Land and therefore Super Sonic.
    The usual "master it if you loved it the first go around, make it a one and done otherwise" philosophy is strong in Colours, similar in scale to Unleashed and Generations.

3. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Completing Sonic Colours is not that difficult.
    Getting all S ranks requires some grinding, though.

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Terminal velocity was difficult and unfun to me, I didn't finish the game because of that (I blame the game of three laser lanes as the main culprit).

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    To me, playing Colors without looking for the Red Rings is like going to a birthday party and missing the cake. The search for those red bastards is where this game shines.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

They're definitely more well-hidden in Colors than they are in any games after. I was surprised how many I had trouble finding after returning to Colors after it had been years since I last played (and 100% cleared) it. I love that they actually contribute to the score, so that seeking them out when playing is worth doing even after you've got them all the first time.

7. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I found Sonic Colours only became special after beating story mode and saw the credits. Upon doing that, you could use a lot more of the colour powers in the stages. And there were all sorts of clever out of the box ways to use them. My favourite is where you reach the goal ring, but if you use the powers, you can skip it and find a whole new area.

Prior to the credits, the game limits which Colour powers can be used on which worlds, and although it's fun, it gets quite repetitive.

I wonder if that's why Colours has a divisive reputation in the fandom, with some thinking it's the best 3D Sonic game ever, and others thinking it's merely okay. If you stop playing after the credits, Colours is pretty ordinary. It has its moments, but the real fun comes after beating the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nope.

My gripes with Colours come from the way that it's not pleasant to control, and the levels are not interesting to explore and navigate. For the sake of clarification, the Wisps become available in previous levels as you progress through the worlds; you only have to reach Sweet Mountain to access the Drill in Tropical Resort for example, rather than having to reach the credits. The game encourages you to return to old stages regularly. I think each act also only has a maximum of two different Wisps available.

But anyway, the level design in Colours is bland as fuck. Even the full length acts are uninteresting. I'm the sort of person that adores collectables and appreciates the Red Rings in Colours in particular, but they don't save the game. Having to execute fine control over Sonic in Colours makes the game worse, not better. Nothing flows or feels natural. I really dislike the score system in Colours. The fact that the Red Rings contribute to the score means that you kind of have to go out of your way to find then any time that you want a decent score. Or you just grab Drill Wisps every time they respawn and drill around in circles to rack up points. Urgh...

I think people make it abundantly clear why they dislike Colours. Focusing on just the gameplay here and ignoring everything else, reasons commonly include...
    • Too much 2D gameplay with blocky layouts. It can be quite reasonably argued that Colours is mainly a 2D game with a few 3D set pieces
    • 3D is largely limited to empty corridors.
    • Wisps feel scripted or limited, and in particular they are useless outside of designated areas. Using them brings the action to a halt in such a way that they're more more like single-use mini games.
    • Sonic's controls are very stiff or feel off in some other way.
    • An abundance of short, gimmick levels.
    • Red Rings require returning to the unfavorable gimmick levels, using Wisps perfectly and partaking in some of the worst platforming challenges in the game.
    By all means please enjoy Colours. This post sounds overwhelmingly negative when in actuality I don't dislike the game. But it's been made perfectly clear why people dislike it or at least why they don't like it as much as other 3D Sonic titles. You don't need to read any deeper and try to establish that Colours is misunderstood. It's not. Some people just don't like it.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It's not really the credits that lock it. The game makes you unlock Wisps the first time they're found in stages. Once you beat Planet Wisp Act 1 (Pink Spikes) and Asteroid Coaster Act 1 (Purple Frenzy) they're all present and accounted for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    To be fair, I didn’t really go back to replay stages until I’d beaten the game, so it’s fair to say that it’s not something you’ll do until after the credits roll.

11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Yeah, that's fair. I chose to, but mostly because I wanted to check certain things I remembered seeing before I forgot.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If you're the sort of person that looks for secrets and collectables as you play games and makes mental notes of inaccessible areas on your first visit, you'll probably venture back to those previous levels long before the credits roll. Not only can you see certain areas that are just out of reach, the game tells you on the map screen which Wisps are available in each act and within each level you'll see Wisp capsules of the colours that you've yet to unlock. I'm willing to bet that a lot of people chose to go back to previous levels long before the credits, because the game makes it so abundantly clear that you can and should do so.

13. I can attest to this

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    If this game is showing up at E3 (and I’m sure it will), then I want to see the new content in particular. Show me a Metal Sonic race, please. I want to see the shiny boi in glorious next gen UHD.

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Video of Planet Wisp with commentary:

So it looks like this is going to be a pretty faithful port (for better or for worse), just with better graphics and some changes/updates. Also sounds like the soundtrack is getting remixed, which is neat.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Also Asteroid Coaster (no commentary).

Oh dear. At 2:18 it blatantly hiccups while loading the next area, unless that's a capture/YouTube problem.

Also, could just be me, but the lighting makes Sonic's skin look like he could use a trip to a tanning salon.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    There's this collectible gold coin that didn't exist in the original version. Does anyone know anything about it? Apparently the game doesn't give hints as to which region of the map it's in (as it does with the Red Rings).

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Don't know. Maybe collecting enough unlocks the Metal Sonic races.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I'm more interested in the new homing attack mechanic - seems timing it right gives you a rainbow trail (perhaps only for scoring?)

20. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

So interesting thing I've noticed looking over the new Asteroid Coaster footage.
    There seems to be a new mechanic tied to the Homing Attack. I may or may not have mentioned this in the past, but one issue i've had with the Homing Attack ever since the introduction of the reticle was it removed all depth from timing your Homing Attacks.
    In the footage however, if you pay attention, you can see that every Homing Attack performed has a green timing circle identical to the ones in Sonic' Forces.
    Forces QTE.png
    When the Homing Attack is timed, Sonic shoots off in a rainbow and gets some extra boost in his gauge.

Colors Timing Circle.png
    Not gonna lie, it at least pleases me they recognize this issue with the Homing Attack and are seemingly taking measures to fix it. Thats nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List