don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    The reference to Switch version work in the portfolio gives me optimism. If they’re modifying the engine in-house, hopefully the Switch will be running the best it possibly can. I’m hoping that 60 FPS is a priority, given that this is a remaster of a Wii game.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Don't get your hopes up. The product description on retailer websites such as Game.co.uk and Amazon.co.uk reads as follows:
    So... nope. 60 fps on PS4 and XB1 (plus PS5 and XBX/S via backward compatibility), but not on Switch. The Switch Pro hasn't been announced yet of course. It's up to you if you want to hold out hope for that. But I'm not, personally.

Honestly I find 60 fps to be such a necessity for Sonic games these days that I don't think I'll bother with the Switch version. I played Colours in regular HD with 60 fps via Dolphin last year and that really bumped up the experience of the game (although forcing the Wii version to run at 60 fps does cause a few, very minor gameplay issues). Going back to 30 fps just hurts. A lot of games can run at 30 fps and be absolutely fine for it. In some cases, prioritising a high resolution over a high frame rate is even ideal. But not for Sonic. A fast-paced platformer needs every frame it can get.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    ...Godot? Seriously?

That's funnier to me than it has any right to be, but I'm stoked for Godot in general. Maybe I'll give it another shake after all.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Huh. So the engine is open source? Does that mean modding should be easier on the PC version?

That'd be cool. This game would make a great modern Sonic base. I'd love to see what people could do with the wisps in different levels.

5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Not really.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Dang. Well idk what I'm talking about in these cases so whoops.

Ah well, if there's interest they'll crack it open eventually

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I'm very interested to see what the modding scene will do once they get their hands on the game.
    Both Forces and Generations had a lot of incredible mods that added content and fixed things and I hope we'll get some of that with Colours as well. ...or the game could end up like Lost World that had like 4 mods total lol.

btw, sorry if it was already discussed and I missed it, but it does appear the game will use the ̶s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶i̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶ English spelling in Europe. I visited the French version of the website and was greeted with a "Sonic Colours Ultimate" logo. Neat.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    What made you think it wouldn't?

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Because every French video game website I've seen covering the game referred to it as "Sonic Colors Ultimate".
    Turns out it was just game journalists not doing their job properly, what are the odds :V

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I was briefly toying with the Switch version but if it's only 60fps on PS4/Xbone, then I'm definitely getting the PS4 version.

11. I'm getting the switch version cause it's the only one I can :p

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Same. A little bummed it won’t be 60fps, but it’s still Sonic Colours on the go with new content, and I suppose I’ll never know what I’m missing out on when the original was only 30.

13. 60FPS only only PS4 and Xbox is disappointing, but expected I suppose.

14. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    It would seem Tails is in the game after all based on this page from a recent Famitsu article. Good to see him back in any capacity honestly.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

So from the translation posted there, Tails will be basically an assist character ala Rush in Mega Man, as opposed to a playable character. For instance, he will save you if you fall into a bottomless pit.

16. It's certainly more than what he's gotten in the last 15 years (Mania, notwithstanding) so I'll take it.

17. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

Is it?

Is it really?

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    It's less than Sonic 4 ep 2.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Lmao so Jade Ghost is just noclip

20. Pengi

Pengi

The Famitsu article also has an interview with Iizuka and Hoshino, if anyone plans on picking it up.