don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Not even to mention that it was in focus tests that happened anywhere from 6-12 months ago, for a game that may not be in sight for release for another 6-18 months.

Not to say it won’t be disappointing (extremely likely it will) but we have literally seen nothing. lol

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I guess that, like with Project Sonic 2017, I'm in the minority by being absolutely fine with this teaser. Rangers (assuming the leaks are accurate) is going to come out in 2022, which for Sonic games would typically mean October/November. That means that it's around about 18 months away at this point. That's ages. We know that this game exists officially now, whereas up until this point we hadn't had any real confirmation. Yes, SEGA said that they were working the next game quite some time ago and other sources have said that new titles are on the way too, but they're always working on the next Sonic game. It meant basically nothing until it got some kind of reveal.

I don't want a drawn out period of "hype" lasting well over a year that will almost inevitably lead to exhaustion. And I don't want pre-release information overload that shows off almost the entire game either. SEGA have laid enough of their cards on the table with the Rangers teaser, because they showed off Colours Ultimate and Origins at the same time too. The Colours Ultimate trailer is the biggest "oof" in my eyes, because it showed off barely anything whilst all the juicy new info (Jade Ghost, Metal Sonic, customisable outfits, potentially playable Tails...) was all missing from the trailer. But they've still got 4 months to promote Colours Ultimate, and then a few more months after that to push Origins. We've got a steady stream of Sonic games to see us through to late next year, and both the movie and Prime are in addition to those. Do we need to see more of Rangers just yet? No, but I'm glad to see that we've got just a tiny bit of information to whet our appetites.

My faith in Sonic Team and SEGA is rock-bottom. All my years of experience have taught me to expect pretty much the worst from them. Lost World burned me hard because I was genuinely expecting something good from it, and Forces set off all kinds of red flags the moment that Classic Sonic appeared in the teaser. However... we (officially) only know the following about Rangers: there's a realistic looking forest, the theme is something along the lines of nature and technology (possibly ancient) and Sonic's got a new cyber-looking ability. I'm content to keep mulling over those points whilst Colours Ultimate and Origins are brewing. Nothing makes me particularly excited or concerned at this point. Well, at leastI'm not more concerned about this game than I am pretty much any other Sonic game lol. We know that this game is a thing and it's coming out in 2022.

SEGA could have held off on showing this game until further down the line, either teasing or announcing it in full in 2022. That would have been fine for some. But it would have left others wondering where the new game was, especially since Forces is almost 4 years old at this point. Or they could have announced it in full during the Sonic Central stream. I just don't feel like that would have been necessary, personally. Not when the schedule for Sonic game releases between now and the end of next year is suddenly looking so full. And it's for that same reason that I actually don't want to see it before the end of this year. To me, it's not a matter of me being at all concerned about the state that the game is in. Rather, I'm just concerned about there being too much Sonic news all at once. Focus on one game at a time.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I’m not sure how I feel. While of course I’m looking forward to colours Ultimate, and Origins if it’s the TaxStealth versions, I will be slightly peeved if we just don’t get anything else on this game until late 2021. Maybe Nintendo’s just spoiled me with their short reveal to release windows, but that teaser is going to be on my mind until we get more info.

Of course, I understand that people would’ve been upset and jumped to conclusions without some kind of presence for the next mainline title, but I think I would preferred Izuka to say “hey Colours Ultimate and Origins aren’t the main 30th anniversary games we’re working on a brand new mainline Sonic game planned for release in 2022, please look forward to more information during late 2021”. Would’ve allayed those fears without giving us a nothing trailer. I’d say the 4chan leak and the dissection of Sonic’s shoe shape of all things are the only reasons I’m so interested in this game right now, and the idea that it’s probably coming out 2022 and we most likely won’t see anything until after Colours Ultimate releases is just exhausting to me.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Agree. Waiting for games to come out is not fun for me anymore tbh.
    Just announce the game with a trailer and release it within 5-6 months of said trailer, anything longer than that is just obnoxious.

5. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
  6. Frostav

Frostav

See, I just do not see that, for some reasons (another wall of text incoming XD):

-I feel that the reason he notes the "gens-style" levels and the open world as distinct is because...well, they fundamentally are. The former are linear stages, the latter is an open-world sandbox. That doesn't imply control differences to me.

-Sonic Team has already been de-emphasizing different gameplay styles in their games. From the boost games: Unleashed had two highly distinct ones; Colors has only one; Generations has two, but it was an anniversary game celebrating classic Sonic too; Lost World goes back to one; Forces has three, but one is carelessly ripped from Gens and the other is nearly identical to to Modern Sonic anyway that it really only has like 2.5. So if anything, I think Rangers will mark Sonic Team just doing ONE and sticking with it.

-It just seems like a truly bizarre decision to make the levels you access from showing your skill in the open world...to use a completely different skillset and control scheme than the open world uses. Now, if these were like special stages in Classic Sonic, that's actually what we would expect, but the leak says that these levels are necessary for beating the game, so they clearly aren't special levels but full-on normal levels. You show skill over the mechanics in the open world, and you then are tested in a more focused and linear level to progress in the game--why would the game use a different control scheme and physics on "exam" levels like these? There's no precedence for this--in earlier Sonic games, differing gameplay styles were either treated as equal and the game either shuffled you around them or gave you a choice (Adventure 1/2, 06) or they were treated as ENTIRELY separate (Unleashed and Gens, where each style is mandatory to progress, but are viewed as entirely different things that do not overlap). There has not been, IIRC, a Sonic game where one gameplay style is treated as a "test" of your skill in another gameplay style...because that makes no sense lmao???

Now you could say "maybe they aren't that different", but if they are not, then why are they even weakly differentiated, and as I have said an annoying amount of times at this point, the boost gameplay philosophy is just literally diametrically opposed to how an open-world game should control. If the open world gameplay is like the boost games, I have no idea how it'd even function.

And "ST is dumb enough to do this" doesn't work for me either because while Sonic Team has made some (okay, a lot of) boneheaded decisions, they make a very specific kind of boneheaded decision that this doesn't match up with.

7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Lost World has technically two, though. The parkour system and the autorunning sections from Desert Ruins Zone 2 and the battle against Eggrobo.

8. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Do better with revealing your games, they should have revealed it next year with gameplay, like Mario Odyssey and Sonic Mania. Stop revealing with cryptic CGI trailers.

Also I have zero reasons to believe that the actual game will be anything above mediocre, especially since it's coming from the same team that made Sonic Forces. To me, the trailer failed in getting me excited and hopeful for the next game, and in my opinion, this makes it a bad trailer. This is why I think they should do better.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You actually don't know who's developing this game. I know you think you do, but you actually don't.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'll be honest, I don't even really know who's working at Sonic Team these days, who's left and what new hires they've had since Forces

11. MH MD

MH MD

Bowser's Fury didn't reveal with any gameplay.
    nor BotW -and it's sequel- did for that matter.
    and before someone says "well yeah that's nintendo they earned it and we know the quality of it's games" let me remind you of Metroid Prime 4 reveal, which only comes after the universally panned "Metroid Prime Federation Force", that series was not in a good place at all at that time, but yet they did reveal it in such manner anyway, and it's teaser doesn't even show anything at all, unlike Sonic rangers that gives you a bit of an idea and tone of the game.
    that teaser was 4 years ago btw, and the game went on a development reboot too.

For all the things we can fault Sonic and SEGA for, teasing their new game with CG trailer is not one of them, since i am sure that we will get new info soon anyway, we won't wait years like other popular series that tease their games way too early.

this is just the usual marketing cycle for big games, and as long as the period between teasers and release still be relatively short, it's not a problem, or would people rather that they unveil all information at once and just wait for months/years after it for the game release?

12. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    and the aforementioned public reshuffling, which makes one assume there were more private reshufflings too.

13. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I'm working with the information given to me, and right now, that information only leads me to believe that it's going to be another mediocre game.

This could have been mitigated if they waited till next year to reveal the game with actual gameplay, but they didn't, so I have no reason to change my opinion for now. This franchise doesn't really have a history of inspiring confidence with a good product.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The thing is, your cynicism and pessimism aren't unique this this game at all. Sonic Team almost always disappoint on the Sonic games. You could have been saying what you're saying now any time at all after Forces release and before this teaser was shown. Nothing's changed.

15. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Agreed, and this is what's frustrating to me. They had the chance to show me why I should be excited, why I should care, but they didn't. And that's really disappointing and doesn't inspire me to be positive at all.

16. I'm satisfied with the teaser.

Sega literally gave us exactly what we've been asking for.

17. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Except that would've been an awful idea. Have you been paying attention to literally anything in the fanbase for the past year? People have been tired of waiting for an official announcement of the next game for a good while now, and you can bet Sonic Team knows it. There's no way they aren't aware of the fans feeling starved of info.

If they waited another year without teasing the next Sonic mainline game people would be either pissed or simply lose hope. We were getting to that point already after only one year of silence.

Them giving us a CGI teaser now and gameplay next year is better than just getting gameplay next year. The simple fact is virtually everyone in the fanbase knew that the next game wouldn't be releasing until either the end of the year or next year. Giving us a teaser now doesn't hurt anyone.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The information given to you tells you nothing. "Sonic Team" means nothing. You don't know who's working on the game, and thus you don't know that they're responsible for Forces.

And you are kidding yourself if you think that waiting till next year (as in revealing NOTHING at E3) would've been a good idea.

19. Wraith

Wraith

I can't really applaud their roll out here. I personally would have kept Sonic 2022 in my back pocket, but if they were going to reveal it anyway they should have disclosed some of the information in the leaks. There's a lot to discuss there, but from the trailer I thought we were getting another boost game and didn't have much to say about it.

I don't think E3's such a critical promo spot for it either. Any Sonic info would just get drowned out which is probably why they settled on May this year and July last time they had a reveal.

20. Taylor

Taylor

If the leaks are true then they do have actual gameplay to show off, they just...didn't want to. I guess they just wanna drag out the hype cycle. Leave people speculating for a while. It certainly worked for Forces, so why not try it again?