don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    If the soundtrack is remixed by Jun, I might actually buy it.

In the future.

On PS Store sale.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

The screenshots just about look like Colors, though we need more obviously, so maybe the trailer was just so badly edited that Sega unwittingly tossed gasoline onto the remaster trying to make it look fancier for announcement purposes. Wouldn't be that surprising at this point.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    So uhhhhh... what’s everybody’s hang-up with Epic Games Store exclusivity? I can understanding shipping because if Denuvo, but I don’t see how this is any different to all the games before now having Steam exclusive PC releases.

4. Linkabel

Linkabel

Other than their store lacking some features from Steam (last time I checked) I think for me the biggest issue is the lack of choice for the consumer.

I don't mind the game being on Epic Games, but I don't want to give them my money or install their service on my pc.

Just let the consumer decide where to get it from and let the better store win.

(And also I already have all the Sonic games on Steam and now maybe I'll have to wait a year for it to arrive there. That is if it's a timed exclusive.)

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

Anti-consumer tactics, which if the Epic vs. Apple court case is anything to go by costing them mass excesses of money from how impractical they are. The exclusivity happens because they straight up buy hundreds of thousands of copy's worth by "technicality" for the deal in exchange for selling the games only on their storefront, but it turns out a lot of these games sell like crap on the Epic storefront afterwards since most people just use it to play Fortnite. Happened really bad with Metro Exodus, which was taken off of Steam for EGS weeks before launch and then while never recorded on sales numbers, left the developers openly and excessively bitter about the whole affair since the publisher did it without warning them.

Sonic Colors Ultimate on EGS basically means Epic is paying Sega specifically to keep it off of Steam but then will at best just have it on the storefront with a pre-order tab on the front page for a short bit and nothing more to support its sales.

That's just the most relevant stuff, don't want to off-topic the thread here or something.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. I just think their store interface is atrocious compared to steam, and oviously the added bias becouse of all my sonic games being purchased on steam.
    And the worst part (for me) is that epic lacks pre-pay cards ( the ones made out of carboard with numbers on the back you have to scratch) and i usually don't like using credit cards so i'll think i'll wait for a steam release or ill buy it on console.

7. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    EGS exclusives are almost always one-year exclusives, so basically Epic pay publishers/developers a whole ton of money to not sell their game for a while and then they can reannounce the game when it's on Steam a year later and actually sell it then.

Good financial decision for publishers/developers to take it when offered (when they're up front about it and don't call people names for not liking the decision like some have...) but generally bad for players as they have to choose between waiting a year or downloading spyware.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Like the idea of a Colours port and the promise of additional features sound interesting! Surprised they've actually tried to do anything other than a straight port TBH.

The attempts at upgrading Sonic's model and additions to stage geometry in some instances look OK, but the messed up lighting really kills it IMO and ends up looking worse than the original Wii game. The screenshots, however, look a bit better in this regard, so hopefully it's just a case of using earlier footage for the trailer - surprised they let it go out looking like that either way.

Enjoyed the original so was planning on getting this day one based on the rumours, but now feeling a bit more cautious - think now my plan is wait and see whether the visual issues seen here are definitely fixed before deciding whether to purchase.

9. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, I think Planet Wisp has benefitted from the changes from what I've seen so far. The ironwork looks just a bit more saturated and I feel like it pops more as a result.

10. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    Thought I'd post this here, there's actually a lot of new content the trailer didn't show!
    There's a new wisp, a new game mode, and even custom outfits! I guess this isn't just "dolphin running with a 60 FPS patch. About the tails thing, it seems it actually is a playable character not a custom "life icon", the icons for movie sonic appear to be save icons to replace the Miis in the original. I imagine they're using Sonic's model as placeholder.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  11. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I have to wonder if the Jade Ghost Wisp was something they took from TSR, or it'd been conceived for Colors Ultimate and TSR just happened to come out first.

12. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I think it's really interesting that they've decided to do as much as it seems like they're doing so far. I expected something extra, but certainly not a Metal Sonic race mode or the animations. I don't really know what to expect! I still think my definitive Sonic Colors would have those "split" Acts recombined and all of the intended mission levels be optional. I plug SKMaric's video on the matter SO often here, but they do a great job expanding on exactly where the splits were made and I think it's kind of a shame on SEGA's behalf that people probably don't know how to get the "best" out of the game when going back after completion since there are so many Acts. I often hear people say stuff like "oh only the 1st act is the actual proper full one" when really there's two "full" Acts spread across the 6, but there's no way you'd be able to know this without digging a little deeper. The situation is kinda like if you only liked one playstyle in SA2, but the stage select screen only had stage numbers and locations.

ANYWAY that probably won't happen and I'm sure it'll be fine. Most of those levels are pretty short, though I'm really not looking forward to playing Sweet Mountain 4 again! That and the questionable lighting aside (which, I guess falls in line with the SADX/SA2B"-ness" that I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread :V), it seems like they really did want to throw just that bit more in there for people who have already experienced the game. Gotta say, I like Sonic Colors a lot, but I certainly couldn't imagine that I would be excited for it again in 2021! Really I'm just feeling very content right now and I'm hoping the more questionable/weird aspects (lighting, EGS stuff) surrounding this are improved.

13. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    This will be a Preorder/Day One purchase for me on PS4.

2 copies. 1 to play and 1 sealed for my collection.

It will be my first time ever playing the game but from what I've watched in playthroughs, I love it. All the more reinforcing that I made a worthy investment in getting my PS4 Pro just prior to the "pandemic."

I can't wait. :oldbie:

14. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

I don't really care about the Epic store cos im not gonna be buying it at launch anyway, but this does seem to have some modicum of effort put into it.

Tails playable? Remixed ost?
    All they gotta do is give us an Original Mode (that lets us play the game as originally designed: 2 levels per act + boss and OPTIONAL gimmick levels),
    and maybe, hopefully, what Rythym Raccoon hoped for and have the story rewritten

and then I might actually go from "no interest" to "minor interest". Still gonna wait for the steam version so I can mod it to be good though. Especially if those graphics are to be believed. Better hope that trailer was an earlier version or else thats never gonna be fixed by launch.

15. synchronizer

synchronizer

Since this will be on PC, might some skilled hackers/modders from here be able to piece together the levels?

It’s too bad we don’t have some prototype of Colors containing the Act1/2 structure versions of the level (if one even exists).

16. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The levels actually are already all stitched together. They just removed all gimmicks and geometry from the parts of the acts that were split. You can actually still access the parts that were split through glitches or exploits; for example, it's really easy to boost across the sky into what became Asteroid Coaster Act 2 in Act 1.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Yep!

Just to be perfectly clear:
    - The old Tropical Resort Act 1 became Acts 1 and 2, and the old Act 2 became Act 3;
    - old Sweet Mountain 1 became Acts 1 and 2, and Sweet Mountain 2 became 3 and 5;
    - Starlight Carnival 1 is fully present as final SC1, and SC2 is fully present as final SC5
    - Planet Wisp 1 is split between PW1 & PW4, PW2 was moved to PW6;
    - Aquarium Park is split the exact same way Planet Wisp is;
    - Asteroid Coaster 1 is split between AC1 and AC2, AC2 was moved to AC6;

and the rest are internally referred to as mission levels, like the extra and secret levels in Sonic Forces.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It would be great if they'd recombine them. Even better IMO if they replaced 1 or 2 missions with an Act 3. Not counting on it, though.

19. Frostav

Frostav

Combining the levels into their original order would make it even more clear how pathetically short Colors is.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not if they added new stages :V