don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The taxman ports overall seem less broken than the originals were, so does it really matter if some bugs remain?

That being said, these are the taxman ports, and Sonic 2 mobile had online multi-player... wouldn't it be the most amazing thing if this collection had online multi-player over all 5 games? It won't but a girl can dream :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I mean inaccuracies. Stuff like the layout/object placement changes or the incorrect Death Egg Zone ending. The boss arenas that got screwed up by the widescreen conversion.

I'd even prefer an option in Sonic 2 for reinstating the Mystic Cave pit rather than be sent to a rendition of Hidden Palace Zone.

3. Why? So you can fall in it? Like I'm genuinely curious to know why you'd want to put an inescapable death trap you intend to avoid (and will likely never see most of the time) back into the game.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh, so you're more just a purist then.

Just play the originals then they still exist. Plus the boss arenas weren't "screwed up" they were adapted for wide-screen. Out of all the bosses over all 3 games, Green Hill's boss (you can't cheese it like the original), Wacky workbase's boss, and Aquatic Ruin's boss are prob the most different.

Also this collection is essentially Sonic Jam 2. Make a new Sonic world :V

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat

This was my only disappointment today.

I guess I’m in the minority but I don’t care about these technical upgrades for the Genesis games and CD. I’ve never played any these versions (but I know what they’re about). I’m sure they’re nice and all but they’re still the same games.

Like we’ve all mentioned there’s way more they could have made a separate collection out of.

6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    3K is finally out of purgatory, neat! I’m going to be disappointed if they don’t include the proto tracks, though.

7. This collection is good and all, but having Sonic 3 A.I.R. makes it really difficult for me to care that Sonic 3 is back.

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    If I were to fall in by accident I don't want to be forced into a level that shouldn't be there. At that point dying from spike and respawning is more convenient than returning to the level select.

I don't care if you call me a purist or a nitpicker. These things harm the experience. I don't consider the remakes unplayable because of them, but these problems certainly hold the remakes back from being "definitive" as everyone seems to like calling them.

And yes, I can play the originals. But that's not the point. I want the most modern, most polished, most accessible-for-newcomers versions of the games to actually resemble the original games when scrutinized. I don't think Taxman and Stealth should've taken it upon themselves to make arbitrary design changes to these games when creating the mobile versions, and now that those versions will seemingly be released to multiple platforms for the masses to enjoy as the defacto modern releases, I wish that could be rectified as much as is possible.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Then play the XBLA versions on a Series X?

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's not like these changes weren't approved it wasn't just willy nilly, they couldn't do a lot of what they hoped to. Desert Dazzle and Final Fight were scrapped from Sonic CD at Sega's request, as was Sonic 2's potential Egg Gauntlet.

The games are 98% the same. Given their modernizations and extra features I think it's an overall win.

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    That said, an "original layouts" option would still be cool.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    As much as I love Sonic 3 AIR, it is still an unofficial fan game. Aside from modding, it is just the original Steam version running on a modern engine with QOL improvements.

If Taxman and Stealth are given the opportunity here, you can’t tell me they won’t give it the same love and quality of life treatments like they did with the other 3 games and Mania. I’m more than willing to give it a chance and compare the two versions once it’s out.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  13. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

This is a day one buy, but just like everyone else, I'd really love to know if this is an in-house remaster or if it is by Taxman and Stealth.

14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    If the first 3 games use Christian’s engine, I see no reason why it wouldn’t be used for 3&K.. keep the collection consistent while adding all the amazing QOL extras and goodies that Taxman and Stealth are known for, and you have the definitive 2D Sonic collection

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is Sega though. Who knows? Maybe they reinvented the wheel for the 5th time and recreated all 5 games in their own new engine :eng99:

16. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Yeah, that was my thought exactly. It's the sensible choice to use the Taxman versions... but this is Sega we're talking about.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Surprise! It's a widegreen GBA Sonic 1 port Engine guys ;)

18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Of course it's an overall win. I'm not denying that. That's precisely why I wish the aspects of the remakes I dislike would be revised, or rather, reverted. I don't want to have to feel physical pain when I inevitably recommend the remakes to friends as the overall best, most complete option for new players.

And I don't think the changes being approved by Sega corporate or even just Sonic Team really means anything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone involved with the original creation of the levels was still part of Sonic Team in 2011-2013. And even if Yasuhara, Naka, etc. did give personal approval to these changes, that doesn't matter that much to me because a lot of people can make misguided decisions when removed from the original project by 20 years. Approval doesn't change that someone, whoever it was, made a seemingly arbitrary change to a piece of the game, and I simply don't agree with that sort of thing. It's okay if you don't agree with my perspective, a lot of people couldn't care less about this sort of minutia.

I'm a proponent of the idea of preserving an original experience. When you take the original Sonic games and recreate them, building in legitimate quality of life improvements for modern gamers like widescreen field of view, flying Tails, etc., I don't think those things inherently harm the experience of the game itself. But the widescreen conversion leads to problems that do harm the experience, because the boss arenas were built within the 4:3 field of view. In that case though, I'm sure they put plenty of thought into converting the boss arenas, even if I think some choices were poor. Doing something with the boss arenas was necessary for the widescreen conversion. But the non-boss layout and object placement changes were not necessary. Not letting us see Sonic reach the exit on the Death Egg at the end of the game (with an inaccurately slow fade to white) was not necessary. Changing the end credits sequence was not necessary. These are things that should not need to be different in any noticeable way from the originals, but they are. And I don't like that.

19. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member

And it's a limited exclusivity deal like Mario All Stars to boot, cause yknow, Sega's gonna Sega

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @Dek Rollins ok fair enough. It'd be good if like Sonic 3 AIR there were options for original layouts. There weren't a ton of changes (well at least most of the new routes in the rereleases are only available to Tails and Knuckles, Sonic has a mostly pure experience) but there were some for one reason or another.

I guess I just like the enhancements more than I care about purity, especially when at least I felt like the remasters, well, remastered the originals. They weren't perfect themselves