don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

Just to address any doubts from the leaked metadata, I was the one who shared the 4K trailer.
    Didn't make any changes, straight from the Press site. Didn't think to look at the metadata.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Sonic leaning into open world gameplay in a post BOtw and Odyssey world makes sense

3. Lozicle

Lozicle

What are the chances that Sonic Rangers is just the working title, like how Sonic Forces was called Sonic Wars?

4. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Good enough to be worth keeping in mind. Things can always change. I've heard that "Sonic Rangers" was in a press release today, haven't been able to see it for myself though.

5. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    God, openworld? Why? They're always big and confusing and you never feel like you've managed to do everything, exact same reason I steered away from Breath of the Wild. Well, that's a massive disappointment.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That sounds weirdly credible. Sonic Rangers is a weird name. How would you guess that?

They said it was rough but that was 6 months ago. Maybe it's better. If it's open world I kinda look forward to it, exactly what Sonic needed, a shake up.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Yeah I really got Sonic 06' teaser feels from this. Which in turn was like how many years ago now? Like a decade and a half ago? It was so promising back then...

Let's hope the new game ISN'T a repeat of Sonic 06, but what we thought it was going to be before the reveal of more information.

9. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Sonic Breath of the Wild? I'm honestly into it! That 4chan leak was super cynical but I like to think that Sonic Team have got it together this time. Could be very interesting.

I like the idea of this ghost girl, wonder if she'll be like the one from Night of the Werehog?

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well this is certainly interesting.
    If this ends up being true it could be a great time; Botw was brilliant and it apparently takes inspiration from it.
    I still wonder how the open world gameplay would work; apparently the bonus stages are similar to Generations stages, but would the main meat of the game use the boost too?
    In any case, I really hope this leak is true. It’s not the adventure game I wanted but it’s also not a dull and boring 2d boost game like Colours or Forces and it’s all I hoped for the next Sonic game really.

11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    lol

12. Lozicle

Lozicle

I love Breath of the Wild and really enjoyed Bowser's Fury. If they can make the open-world varied enough to stay interesting and/or make movement through it engaging, they might just pull this off.

Or they can at least make the boost-style levels replayable through a menu lol

13. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member

Still don't see how you could watch or play this and not want a fully realized open world Sonic game.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    If it really is called Sonic Rangers, we need to petition Ron Wasserman to make a joke theme song, "Go Go Sonic Rangers".

15. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    yeah I know lmao :/

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    it will probably suck, but at least this looks like an attempt at forward motion for these damn games.

17. MH MD

MH MD

Honestly.....this is very interesting! even if i am personally not fan of open worlds in general, or shoving exp/skill tree/RPG elements in any game this gen, this tell me this is an ambitious project, whether if it turns out good or bad, they at least trying to make something different and big, a thing they didn't really attempt since....2008, and i can't fault them for that.
    Good luck to them, hope it will turns out well in the end, but even if it tuns out bad, at least this is different and unique project, and not a lesser version of previous style

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    open world isn't a direction i'm against. my only real concern at this stage where we don't know shit is map size, because Sonic can cover a lot more ground quickly then Mario or Link ever could (unless they cap his runspeed at something like the botw motorcycle or something like that)

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Open-world Sonic makes good sense to me, I've wanted that since the initial 06 trailer. And making the "real" (linear) levels into the "special stages" would be a clever structural move. The devil will be in the details though. If Sonic is loose and fun to maneuver like he is in the Adventure games and World (the fangame, not Jam) it will be superb. If he moves like an assy brick like he does in every other boost game, it will probably be a bad time babey

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Well now... this is interesting. I wanted to toss aside that leak as a coincidence, but the fact that they knew the "Rangers" name/codename seems pretty damning evidence.

I'm gonna try not to be disappointed before we've even seen anything. I wonder what they meant by saying the demo they played was "rough"? Was it a glitched, unpolished mess? Or did they just not like it?

Oh hey, all you timeline gurus - does anyone know how long it took after the reveal trailer for us to get any details on Sonic Forces?

I'm really hoping we get some more information soon, maybe at E3 or on the anniversary. This is a whole lot of nothing, ALTHOUGH I have to say I am pleased with Sonic's proportions. The changes are fairly subtle, but he doesn't look like a melon-headed, bear-handed, giant-footed cartoon.