don't click here

Upcoming Sonic 30th anniversary news coming 27th May

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ted909, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It's going to find it hilarious if a Colors remaster really is the 30th anniversary title to come out this year. The things that fans have complained about most is too much 2D, childish stories, only playable Sonic, boost being bad, etc. Then they do a big push for Colors. It's hysterical, I almost hope it happens.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think that in 2021, all we're going to see is Colours and the collection. Covid hit SEGA pretty hard, and if they had planned for a new Sonic game to release this year, it was likely pushed back along with several other projects.

My personal expectation is that on Thursday they'll unveil Colours Ultimate and the collection for release in the current financial year, along with comic news. They might also talk about any new animations (ala Mania and TSR) if such exists and they'll tease the big new game. SEGA specifically mention partnerships and events in their teaser, so it seems rather plausible to me that they'll have some sort of merchandise reveals and an event like the 25th Anniversary party, at which they'll fully unveil the new game for 2022. News on Sonic Prime and the movie sequel seem unlikely to come from SEGA, and would probably come directly from Netflix and Paramount respectively.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Oh yeah, can someone explain what was up with that? It seemed so weirdly out of place when I watch the trailer, I want to know the significance.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Sonic Shopping Cart Heroes, let's go!

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Does anyone know of a way or a place where I can watch the VOD without having to search for it and inevitably go through spoilers?

I'm getting off work about an hour after the presentation, I'm wondering if I can just type in a URL and watch the rerun without ruining any reveals. I may be in my 20's, but game-related reveals are still some of the hypest things.

7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    The presentation will be on YouTube and Twitch, so if you miss it, then I’m hoping it will be available to watch on the Sonic YouTube page after it’s finished but that’s the only thing I can think of.

That’s usually what happens after their livestreams that they did every 2 Thursdays or whatever

8. I'm expecting the Colors remaster reveal, plus a teaser for the next major game.

Which is the smartest way to do it; give us something for this year while keeping us enticed for the next year.

And Colors haters can be satisfied knowing that's not all that we're getting; bonus points if its Sonic Adventure related so they can focus on that and Colors can just come out without the hate bandwagon on it.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I agree with you man, but the "Colours hate bandwagon" isn't a thing. It's just not as revered by a lot of the fanbase as it used to be. And following recent games that have drawn heavily from Colours but did little to expand or improve upon its gameplay (Forces in particular, but also Generations for being the common favourite boost game), it's seen as largely uninteresting or boring as the subject of a remake. Unleashed, a game that's often more popular with fans and have been neglected by SEGA whilst also being arguably harder to play these days, would have been a better choice.

I'm open to Colours Ultimate. An enhanced port would be fine, but totally forgettable. I would much rather it was a full blown remake or was otherwise very significantly enhanced.

10. As much as I agree with you, the fact remains Sonic Colors was better received than Unleashed, and is the safest option. Its certainly a boring option, no argument there, but its also one that won't really hurt them either.

Bandwagon is the wrong word, but like you said, there has been a severe vocal disdain for Colors as of late. All I meant is that if there was a promise of a new game, it would lower those voices at least.

But I do think Colors is just to tide people over until the next game. Hopefully they debut a new engine along with it, cuz I'm tired of the Hedgehog engine.

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It would be cool to get a Boost trilogy compilation of levels. Get Unleashed-Colors-Gens Boost levels in one package. I have Hitman on the brain.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm thinking more and more about this and I realize the thing I want most is for the next new game to really wow me in terms of its visuals. I don't really mean graphically, more in art direction.

They're probably gonna stick to the tried and tested model sheets they've been using since Unleashed, which is fine, but I'd love it a lot if we got new character models in a new direction. Not a complete re-design, but a genuine art style refresh as Dark Sonic put it!

[​IMG]
    They would really win me over if they went out of their way to mimic that rubber-hose type style they had back in the Dreamcast era like this fan render by Geki696!

I just want the characters to feel more expressive in their facial animations and poses.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Come to think of it, did they give any indication of how long this thing was? It apparently starts when my lunch break does, but I only get 30 minutes.

14. That's part of the reason I want a new Engine. The Hedgehog engine models are definitely starting to show their age.

They're fine what they are, but are definitely are in need of an overhaul. Sonic characters thrive on expressive and bouncy animations and they have been getting progressively more stiff and lifeless.

They don't need a complete redesign, just updated to allow for better animations.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I give it between 30 minutes to an hour.. I’ll likely be peeking at my phone on my desk at work lol

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well that's just the lighting engine it has nothing to do with the models and animations, that's just Sonic Team being lazy or bad lol

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, I'll be physically at work in a meeting, so I won't be watching it. Will have to get the tl;dr after =P

Though to be honest, we know pretty much what it's going to be, don't we, thanks to that retailer? Sonic Colours, a compilation, almost certainly news on Sonic Prime (which that clip is probably from), some new merch most likely, maybe some comic stuff.

If you genuinely think Sonic Adventure remakes are on the near horizon, you're deluding yourselves. There has been absolutely zero signs of anything even vaguely showing it.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'll be at work, but I'll have alerts on my smartwatch so I'll know when to take a break or otherwise excuse myself

19. MH MD

MH MD

They will give us a URL for youtube, you should just watch it from there, if you are afraid of even recommendations spoiling it on the side, just take the URL, replace watch?v= with embed/ , that should make the video goes full screen, no recommendations or anything to ruin it.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think I'll be able to watch this live. Good ol working from home lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.