don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

The difference between both is that it seems that Ian mostly just did translations for the Mario one since it was a previously JP-only book while he's writing the entirety of the Sonic one from scratch.

This is how both are described on his site:

"SUPER MARIO BROS.
    ENCYCLOPEDIA

Was part of the localization and fact-checking team that made this originally Japanese-exclusive book accessible to English-speaking audiences. Localized over 250 pages of material."

"Sonic the Hedgehog: Encyclo-Speed-ia
    Researched, compiled and wrote the entirety of this exhaustive look at thirty years of Sonic the Hedgehog."

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. And a few Mania pics that are only from Studiopolis while Sonic 4 gets an entire row, there’s something ominous about that or maybe it’s just a case of whoever put that together really liking ugly pre-rendered graphics.

3. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I think this quite literally gives us enough information to put it somewhere on the wiki, lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    • List
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  7. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Thank you :)

8. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    ...Aren't those pillars from Quartz Quadrant Zone?

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. Linkabel

Linkabel

What merchandise has those palm trees? It's not the first time I've seen this get brought up but can't think of of anything that has them.

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I don't have any specific examples, but I seem to remember it happening around...2010 or 2011? Somewhere around there, I think.

• List
  11. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    So Mr. Zippo himself has gone ahead and provided an update on the rumored return of 3&K (just copy/pasted from his blog):

-There will indeed be changes done to the music. It appears to be the beta music that was originally intended. Don't expect ANY the songs that MJ and Buxer worked on to return. This is going to be a divisive decision for many in the community, but many need to understand that this is how it had to be, in order to get the game re-released.

-This deal over the music was finalized early in 2020.

-They're now allowed to use Sonic 3 in promotional materials again, which is why the Sonic 3 Tiger game system got a re-release last year.

-Can"t get into the full legal logistics today, but there was a changing of the guard at the Jackson estate in 2018, and that lead to talks opening up again.

-This collection was originally going to be developed by an outside studio, but SEGA decided to bring it in -in house. This will be the first SEGA internally developed Sonic collection since Sonic Gems Collection in 2005.

-There are fans involved in the development of the collection. And no, not Evening Star.

-A mobile release is planned, but I'm unsure if that will release the same time as the collection or not.

(Once again, this is just rumor and innuendo, but some of these details are quite interesting.. probably to make it seem more realistic lol)

12. Linkabel

Linkabel

How does this make sense? If they reached a deal then why are they not using the original music then? Or did they just end up paying past debts and decided to part ways?

And if I'm remembering correctly, wasn't there another musician not related to MJ or Buxer that there was another issue with?

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya sounds like the would be deal was paying off debts but not permission to use. But if Sega could avoid any of this mess ever again I'd imagine they'd be quite happy replacing the music and then being able to use Sonic 3 whenever or however they want. I can imagine they hate dealing with Dreams Come True everytime they want to use Sonic 1/2 music.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  14. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

If I had to take a guess, it was over royalties (You want to use the music, you pay us $XXX,XXX or whatever; SEGA would probably say that it’s too much money so they will go with the proto tracks)

And yes the guy you’re thinking of is Bobby Brooks, who was a part of MJ’s team and is credited in the game; the issue is likely royalties there as well

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    • List
  15. Turbohog

Turbohog

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Of course uts happened before. But licenses expire, etc. All the shows have been up there at some point I think. I know AoStH and Underground were at least.

17. Completely random
    20210522_022034.jpg Archie Sonic #264, circa Sep 2014

18. Let's deconstruct this.

Honestly, this seems like one of those "no-brainer" things on the surface, but this is a bit of a red flag still. 1103's music can be put into the final game, yes, but not without significant effort, and I'm not sure SEGA would be willing to put in that effort.

I don't see how the Jackson estate has anything to do with Sonic 3 promotional materials. In-fact, outside of the music, I don't see anything that the Jackson estate has to do with Sonic 3. SEGA is within their full legal right to make promotional material using other assets from Sonic 3 - which they have done so with the Barrel mug, to mention one.

Is there any source on this? Like, at all?

This is really suspicious, as, to me at least. I don't know why, but when I read into these two lines, Sonic 3 AIR comes to mind, and that immediately strikes a red flag for me. The issue is that its also pretty hard to determine whether Eukaryot is working on this or not, thanks to the issue of NDAs.

19. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I feel like IF this is going to happen, the port will likely be handled by M2, not SEGA themselves, so I’m sure they won’t have a problem with the effort of swapping out the music.

Also I don’t see Eukaryot ending work on 3 AIR.. he’s too far into development to just stop unless SEGA actually contacted him, but I doubt it. I’m sure the mobile release will be a Taxman thing, he’s synonymous with the Sonic remasters.

And idk who the hell would tell Zippo anything regarding the Jackson estate changing guard so yeah, that’s the strangest point of them all to me.

Anyway, like I’ve said before, this is just speculation, so let’s see if we get any sort of announcement around E3 or Sonic’s birthday.

My apologies for the lengthy post, it’s just I always have a lot to say regarding this topic lol

20. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Absolutely nothing Zippo has said on Sonic so far has come to pass after he's said it. Maybe there's truth to what he's saying, and maybe all these pie in the sky things are real, but he has provided us with no credible evidence to support what he's saying and doing a bit of digging yesterday, he doesn't really seem to have all that good a track record for any of his leaks, with people moving the goalposts in his defence for whatever reason.