don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Mania Plus I know was physically released overseas, as I imported a JP copy for the soundtrack inside, but I don't recall ever seeing either base or plus as physical copies on shelves here ahahahah, didn't seem all that common...

2. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Really? They were all over the place near me.

3. Frostav

Frostav

Frankly, yes.

I actually think platformer bosses, 2D or 3D, are nigh-universally Not Fun unless the game has in-depth combat mechanics. Being stuck in a room with a big enemy is just never fun. In a character action game or an RPG bosses can be really fun but platformer bosses are like 99% either "jump on/attack them a specified number of times" or "solve a puzzle that is either braindead simple or insufferably tedious".

4. Fadaway

Fadaway

The ma
    An impetus for me asking is to gauge whether or not it will become a collectors item, primarily a sealed copy, years down the line. It isn't difficult to get a copy; I just want to estimate its future as a physical media item.

5. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    This is why I think Freedom Planet was the first time I felt so deeply engaged with bosses in a Sonic-like context; all of the characters have quite a few combat options, and the bosses tended to be great spectacles with lots of neat patterns. Having more than just one button to push changed everything!

Meanwhile, I liked Mania's bosses well enough. I felt like Taxman and friends achieved as much as they could with the intense limitation of a character who can only attack by jumping; they tried their best to make Sonic bosses more engaging and succeeded in some cases. The only times I felt seriously frustrated were certain bosses that have timed phases, where you're not allowed to attack. (Such as Studiopolis Zone 1's boss.)

Long stretches where you have no options beyond self-defense get so tiring, especially in a platformer where attacking is already fairly slow. (Ala needing to take the time to land on an enemy's head, like you said.) 3D Sonic games fair better on paper in this regard if only because Sonic and friends have more combat options in those cases.

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I think going forward all bosses 2D or 3D should take notes from the sonic 2 CNZ boss, here sonic is given multiple ways to attack the boss flippers, bumpers or using momentum. What also helps is robotnik's attack patern is dynamic to your location, with him dropping bombs and electrocuting sonic if he is on the flippers too long.

This boss is always my favourite because of this and I think it's stupid that no other boss has attempted to use momentum and bumpers like this (out side of sonic CD's pinball boss).

7. I think the Act 2 of Lava Reef boss from Sonic 3 & Knuckles was a really unique and intense one.

8. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

My biggest problem with Lava Reef 2's boss is that the background hurts my eyes to look at. The platforming is decent and I think it's a good obstacle-course boss but the fire shield right by the arena totally cheapens it.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I think it's a great time to turn Super and go and make a sandwich.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This. The opening of the fight is a really annoying autoscroller, and the actual fight is very tedious platforming on small platforms whilst the boss kills itself. Like Studiopolis 1, the boss will still kill itself if you turn super and just go idle. That's the basically fastest way to beat these bosses. And just for comparison, Sandopolis 1 is no better, arguably even worse.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Lava Reef Zone Act 2's boss is great atmospherically. But as an actual boss it's pretty lame.

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Yeah, LR Act 2 is a pretty epic boss...the first time. Every other time it's just kind of a slog.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I just don't get why that boss takes 12 or so hits as opposed to 8. It's the only boss that requires that many hits and it's the biggest slog of them all. If it was 8 hits then it'd be fine.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    14, actually. And me neither. I could see them trying to induce fear with an "invincible" boss, but again, that's something that only works once.

15. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think the autoscrolling part and the waterfall descent are fine, but yeah the last phase is a complete slog on replays. It takes forever for the boss to kill itself, and if you're Super/Hyper you don't even have to bother avoiding the lava and mines, leaving you with nothing to do.

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Thank God 3 AIR made it an option to change the number of hits for the LRZ boss to 8 lol

But on a serious note, regarding Mania I never had any problems with the bosses: creative and noteworthy but easy to fight and beat (yes I beat them quite comfortably on my first try), even the challenging ones (TMZ specifically unless you have the lightning shield)

And Blue Spheres never bothered me, it was fun and the last few stages were challenging.. was very happy for the addition of the pinball bonus stage since it was definitely needed for getting shields and missing characters.

17. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Does SLZ's boss count? Also HCZ1 maybe counts for Knuckles? I don't remember if Knux can normally hit Eggman without using the wall or not.

18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yeah Sandopolis is worse because the boss becomes unkillable if you're Super Tails, and have to wait til your rings run out (the flickies repeatedly attack the damn boss, so it can't jump into the sand pit and kill itself)

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

IIRC you can avoid that problem by getting the boss to face right (easiest way is standing to its right when it spawns), so that the flickies knock it into the quicksand.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Doesn't change the fact that it's a crap boss that you typically beat by just standing on the left hand side of the screen and jumping like a mad man as he kills himself though. Not saying you said that that makes it better. Just... Bad boss is bad.

You know what boss in Mania I really like? Heavy Shinobi. You can't just mercilessly wail on him because he'll freeze you, but being frozen doesn't actually cause you to take any damage. You just have to time you hits properly for when he's jumping around. He throws more and more Asterons as the fight goes on, and they're the biggest threat. It's a little unclear and confusing that you can destroy them after they land and before they explode (they look like they're sharp and have different rules to S2), but when you realise that's possible you have a lot to juggle for the fight. And you can use being frozen defensively; you'll either safely destroy Asterons you bump into or won't take damage from their explosions.

I dunno. It's just a fun fight. I think it's really good.