don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Since the beginning of March I've been on a push to convert the old ratings system to the new one. There were well over 1000 pages not using the new style back then, now there are about 600.

Blockers include a lack of scans for GamesMaster (magazine) and Sega Mega Drive Advanced Gaming. Review scores were added back in the day which is great, but there's no way to double check them for accuracy.

However I've got a couple of bigger problems that I'm not sure I can solve: Play Time TV and Télévisator 2, video game-related TV shows from France and Germany. While the BBC has its schedules documented all the way back to 1923, other broadcasters aren't quite as nice. I also find television is impenetrable if you don't speak the language, especially if you're dealing with regionalised programming or multiple time zones.

This is a problem because these two shows reviewed video games, and we have some of their scores on Sega Retro. However, we don't have transmission dates - just random clips on YouTube presented without much context.

As an example of the problem, Streets of Rage 2 on the Master System:

Code (Text):
    1. | playtimetv=67
    2. | playtimetv_source=
    that's all the information we have - that Play Time TV gave the game a score... at some point in history.

It's worth pointing out that I'm not sure these shows have been documented very well in French or German either. All collective human knowledge surrounding them amounts to little more than "these existed".

Ditto for pretty much every game-related television show that wasn't GamesMaster, tbh.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  2. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    I suspect a good chunk of the programmes from Europe and other random countries don't have much easily accessible documentation, but the English and to some extent Japanese ones do as far as I can tell - if I/anyone ever gets round to tackling kukun kun's uploads (which have significant stuff like the Famitsu TV shows and are wasted on YouTube), there are at least broadcast dates for most of them provided either by the titles or ja.wikipedia pages

3. PhyChris

PhyChris

Thanks for the quick reply! bummer with those conflicting registers. I always thought the 32X needed a ROM-header to 'kick in' :(

what cart-slot pins can be internally reconnected for extra compatibly with other devices?

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    And Thank God that we documented CyberMaster in due time ... RTP don't gives a shit about it and Valentim de Carvalho has short memory and this page is all that they have to offer... you can't even find that image with the two kids playing Virtua Cop anymore outside Sega Retro...

"Wasted on youtube" ... I couldn't have said it better, mate ...

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    When I did the research for The Zone, I was able to get broadcast dates by trawling back through the TV guide section of newspapers that had been digitally scanned by libraries and accessible online. It was a bit of a pain but managed to find the answers.

6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I could get broadcast dates on the TV guide section of newspapers too, if I wanted ... the problem would be to find out what episodes are those... Episode one? Episode two?... I really don't know...

7. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I was lucky enough to have enough episodes and fragments of episodes on Youtube to figure out the order in which they aired, based on what was "coming up next week" at the end of episodes, and realising when episodes were missed when that didn't happen.

I guessed that the earliest episode available was Episode 3, because it was the third week of a competition that started from the first episode, and this eventually lined up with the announcement in episode 25 that episode 27 (season 2?) would be moving to a new time slot of 8am, which I was then able to cross-reference against the tv guides.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    TV guides would be useful first step, but they're not particularly easy to find either.

You can probably work out when shows start (both of those above shows were backed by a magazine), it's working out the contents that becomes tricky.

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Via twitter:
    001.jpeg 002.jpeg 010.jpeg 009.jpeg 008.jpeg 007.jpeg 006.jpeg 005.jpeg 004.jpeg 003.jpeg

10. Ted909

Ted909

Confirmed as talks for the GameWorks joint venture with Dreamworks and Universal/MCA
    Something also worth pointing out is that the Mega Visor Display is there. As far as I know the last game to use it was released in 1995, and I was under the impression further development utilising the headset was cancelled after the Sega Net Merc project didn't go down well

Considering that the main criticism of Net Merc was that its Model 1-powered graphics were rudimentary compared to what the Model 2 was producing, I wonder if there was an aborted attempt to use the board for VR around that time - or they just had a MVD lying around still.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A better response to that "which review scores are missing" question from a few days ago - it's still vague but should point people in the right direction. These are magazines we have scans for, and it's always worth checking first since support is spotty:

US:
    - GameFan
    - Game Players (I think)
    - Gamer's Republic
    - Electronic Games (1992)
    - Next Generation
    - Later issues of VideoGames & Computer Entertainment
    - Mega Play

UK:
    - Official Dreamcast Magazine (post 1999)
    - Dreamcast Magazine (post 1999)
    - DC-UK (post 1999)
    - Mega Power

France:
    - Dreamcast: Le Magazine Officiel

Germany:
    - Dreamcast: Das Offizielle Magazin
    - Sega Magazin
    - Fun Generation
    - Play Time
    - Video Games (Saturn era)
    - Gamers
    - NeXt Level

Spain:
    - Hobby Consolas issue 20 onwards
    - Scans of Super Juegos exist on the internet but they need cropping first
    - Todo Sega

Italy:
    - Console Mania
    - Game Power
    - Mega Console unless they're translations of Mean Machines

Australia:
    - Hyper
    - (Sega) Megazone

Brazil:
    - Most issues post-1991/1992-ish

This is by no means definitive and if new scans come through, that's more work.

If missing pages break the page numbering, let me know (or fix it - tools for taking apart a PDF and putting it back together (with missing page placeholders) are on Retro CDN) and treat things as if the scan were complete.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    11 years of Sega Retro and we're still finding new old games:

[​IMG]
    Type da Puyo Puyo, a version of Puyo Puyo for Windows PCs and classic Macs from 2001, where you occasionally need to type things. Sega owned the Puyo Puyo license by this point in time, but publishing duties were handled by the now defunct Japanese company "Biox". It was re-released at least twice, but Sega doesn't seem to want to acknowledge its existence.

13. Prototype

Prototype

If it was to aid Japanese kids with typing, then I can see why it goes somewhat unacknowledged. I mean, it's not like you hear Nintendo make a fuss about things like Mario Teaches Typing.

Obscure little niche game for a niche audience, I guess. But still, well done on the documentation.

14. Ted909

Ted909

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Tedious Master System reference of the day:

We should be logging these, but forgive me for not being overly excited for a chain of petrol stations.

16. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    I want to add to the "which review scores are missing" question that many Game Gear review scores from Beep! MegaDrive, as well as the later reviews and final readers ratings for those games from the Japanese Sega Saturn Magazine are still undocumented. I haven't seen much activity from Akane recently (who's documented review scores from all the other platforms covered in Beep!MD and SSM), but I can pitch in and fill in those blanks in their stead.

17. Ted909

Ted909

A higher quality rip of Mega Drive Perfect Video '92~'93 surfaced a while back:

I would replace the pre-existing version on CDN with this, but it only just goes over the file size limit when cropped and trimmed.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Dud you already try using the UploadWizard on the CDN?

19. Ted909

Ted909

No, as I just said it's over the size limit (1.05 GB), but if it's getting uploaded it'll be through the original file's upload new version link to replace it

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I really wish H4G would use doomsday rips on LDs but it is what it is.