don't click here

What happens if you try to run a physical copy of Sonic Mania after already having Sonic Mania Plus

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Game Collector, Apr 16, 2021.

1. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I'm curious what happens on each system if you already have a save file for Sonic Mania Plus (physical), but try to run a copy of the later released standalone Sonic Mania.

All I know so far is that if you bought a digital copy of Sonic Mania on PS4 and did not buy the Plus DLC separately, then bought the Plus disc, it deletes your digital copy from the system, makes you run it from the disc every time, but keeps your progress intact, essentially upgrading your existing file.

What happens next if you buy a plain PS4 Sonic Mania disc for variant collecting purposes and decide to try using it? Will the Plus DLC remain on your save file and just run the disc as if it were a copy of Plus? Or will it install as a separate game with its own set of save files?

What about Switch and Xbox One? How do those systems react to using Plus first, then plain afterward?

On Wii U if you buy separate discs of New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, and New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U, all three disc versions get their own set of save files and are treated as separate games.

2. I got Sonic Mania on Switch initially, then bought the physical Sonic Mania Plus cart. Inserting the cart upgrades the game to plus, removing it returns to the basic without the dlc. They work off the same save file so nothing is changed...i didnt do much testing as I eventually bought SMP digitally to keep the game card within its collectors box and not have to swap cards each time i wanted to play it.

3. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Presumably functions like the PC version, where the DLC can be enabled or disabled from the library page as desired. Save files are still there but ones set with Mighty or Ray are locked out, Techno Tower pinball never appears for bonus stages, and encore is not in the menu.