don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

No threads from the equivalent Playstation or Xbox subs. Most likely cos they have better things to discuss than a spitshined port of a C tier "3D" platformer that wasn't even originally on their family of systems.

I mean, I already own it on Wii and I don't wanna send Sega the message that I like this direction by buying it for the newer machine. If the urge came over me to play these stages in 1080p 60fps (The good, non-blocky ones at least), then I'd just download a Generations mod. Frankly the only way I can see Sega screwing this up is if they take out Super Sonic and try to make him a Forces-style microtransaction again.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    You don't need to remind us every three seconds that you don't like The Game That Saved the Franchise, you know. We already know.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Funny, I don't recall any reports of Sega being in dire financial straits after Unleashed, and Colors potentially be the last game in the franchise if it failed.

Please no hyperbole.

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I don't think Sega ever said such a thing. It would be pretty weird of them to do, considering that both Sonic '06 and Unleashed were successful enough to enter Xbox's Platinum Hits and receive DLC. Unleashed entered PlayStation's Greatest Hits as well, not to mention that its formula received follow-ups in Colors and later games.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  5. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Ooh, it's getting spicy!

Sega definitely never said THAT. But, they did say this. :V

upload_2021-4-12_3-30-44.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I think you meant to say "American interns at Sega said this." ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    upload_2021-4-12_4-1-0.png

8. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I'm just excited to see people mod it back to it's original 2-Act structure.

Feel like my opinion on the game will change IMMENSELY without all the padding.

9. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Sonic sales on name alone. I bought Forces full price, twice, and when it was on sale on the PC version too just so I'd have a complete collection on Steam. I know I'm not alone in buying Sonic content just for being Sonic. Colors could have legit gotten Unleashed and 06 level reviews and STILL sold a high amount.

The franchise would have been fine either way.

10. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    While less of a consideration with the general public, a lot of fans will still buy a game like forces on sale if for the mod potential the games have right after release.

11. Wildcat

Wildcat

According to the Zippo leak (right?) There’s gonna be a Collection of some kind. Which makes more sense than Sega choosing to only do 1 specific remaster.

What if it was a Nintendo exclusive collection? Colors, Secret Rings, Black Knight, Lost World.

I know Black Knight does not scream remaster material but they all fit for being in there own collection. I’m not predicting this is what’s happening but it came to mind the other day.

As for Colors being too easy I agree but Generations and Mania were also on the easy side. Might be an unpopular opinion but they can be beaten with decent effort. Same goes for Forces of course. I’m not trying to bash them. I’m just saying the same goes for others besides Colors imo.

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Sonic is rather easy by its nature, outside of dickish level design in certain games. It’s what happens when you only need 1 ring but you still drop up to 25 when you’re hit.

And honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. After beating Crash 4 at the start of this month, I feel like I’ve been kicked in the crotch by that game enough times to last for the rest of my life. Sonic should always be accesible in its basic difficulty, because the draw for diehard fans is optimising just how to tear through the level anyway.

On the filler levels, I don’t really recall minding them that much to be honest. I mean, I was 11 at the time the game released and didn’t really engage much in the way of critique, but outside of some real stinkers like the yellow spring level, I remember them being a pretty good time. As I recall, there’s one in Aquarium Park that uses Cube and can be completed in about a minute. I quite like bite-sized stuff like that.

13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Hmmm.

Well I'm definitely in the camp of people who enjoyed Colors when it came out, but aren't too terribly excited about the possibility of a remaster. Colors looked pretty darn good on release, so I'd definitely like to see what stages like Planet Wisp will look like with a bit of a graphical touch-up. The music is super solid, the gameplay is pretty fun, and it'd give me even more of a reason to play through Colors again (on a current gen console, too).

But if their plan for the anniversary is (hypothetically) a remaster for an appetizer (+ whatever else they have planned), then an all-new game for the main course, I can't say that this is the game I would choose to hype up Sonic's big 30. After all, a lot of folks have been dreaming of a remaster of Unleashed for a while now (or at least a PC port, since the game aged pretty well graphically). The Colors rumor has definitely got a lot of people talking, and it seems a little fruitless to ask which game deserves a remaster more, but I guess I personally would prefer Unleashed.

Tbh though, I'm just glad that there's a possibility of SEGA remaking or remastering.... anything really. The most Sonic-y thing they've ever really remastered in the past 15 years is what.. NiGHTS Into Dreams? It seems they always shy away from actually remaking games, and instead they constantly re-release the same few Sonic titles on 758 different consoles with hardly any new features or additions (though the Taxman ports were a nice breath of fresh air). I'd definitely be glad to see them remaster pretty much any 3D Sonic game at this point.

As far as rumors go, I don't wanna give the Zippo leaks much credibility. Unless the big "main event" he talked about shows its head sometime this year, it just seems like a simple rumor, though I understand SonicTubers would have us believe its damning evidence :psyduck:

14. Wildcat

Wildcat

Ya Sonic should be easily accessible. I’ve never been a fan of really hard games. I know some are really into that but not me. I usually stay away from games known for that.

I think the Adventures, 06 (technical stuff aside), Unleashed, Secret Rings and Lost World all had better difficulty though. Imo they all had a good sense of challenge without being frustrating...not counting those certain bad parts.

I found Heroes unnecessarily frustrating. Swapping between characters felt more like a chore to me and you tend to stop to build up Team Blast just to have it ready.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I wonder if mine will too. It's true that almost all the complains I have with colours have to do with the god awful blocky 2d stages, but I never found the main 3D stages to be that amazing either tbh.
    I know it's wishful thinking but they'd REALLY need to improve the level design to make the game better for me. Since we're not restricted to the wiimote/nunchuk combo anymore quick stepping and drifting available at all time are a must at the very least.

(idk I really wish they just ported unleashed instead)

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I wonder how the game holds up now.
    When I think about it, things I don't like in new Sonic games started here.

- stupid jokes
    - simple and uninteresting plots
    - focus on boost gameplay
    - shorter levels

I mean, the game was really fun when it came out, but no one really knew back then, what will follow.

By the way, I'm replaying Heroes right now and I'm impressed, by the level design. Acts go on even for 10+ minutes, with heavy focus on platforming and even combat here and there.

When I think about a new Sonic Game I just want some sort of Heroes spiritual successor, but with less bugs.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I'm certainly interested to see how critics review Colors eleven years later, because I don't recall many - if any - retrospective reviews last year when it turned 10.
    It's not hyperbole - I need to remind people that Colors saved the franchise, just like how JJ Abrams saved Star Trek and Josh Trank saved the Fantastic Four.

18. Hikki Komori

Hikki Komori

Really funny seeing all the hate for Sonic Colors coming out. Where were you guys when the game was first released?

Yes, nowadays, it's easy to see what Sonic Colors did to the franchise long-term. But taking the game by it's own merits, it's a blast to play. Yes even the "filler" levels that you guys harp on so much.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Right here, being told that we were unpleasable.

Also not seeing as much hate as I am indifference. Feelings towards Colours are tepid, not cold.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I feel like what may seem to some people like a massive hate campaign against Colors... really doesn't exist. Like, some people don't like it as much as others, but I think everyone can agree that it's not a bad game. It's just not everyone's cup of tea. I've long argued that Colors is peak 3D Sonic, but I can see why others don't agree with me. And you know what? That's totally fine. They can think that.*

*even if they're wrong