don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So I did a video on this earlier, but decided to do a bit of research instead of the usual tuber thing...

1: The company is legitimate, they have done localisations for Sega/Sonic titles in the past (as you all know).
    2: Apparently they did do work on Generations (though I can't find anything from the game that confirms that. this mainly comes from second hand sources), if this isn't true then it makes point 3 really interesting.
    3: The URL for the page is for "Sonic Generations, could be explained if point 2 is true.
    4: The company has been linked to a leaked Sonic game in the past, the German voice actor for Orbot/Cubot recorded his lines at this company and made the "Sonic Mach 2" leak which turned out to be Boom: Fire and Ice.
    5: Based on the Wayback Machine, the page was created/modified on April 8th 2021 (yesterday).

* Extras I found out after I posted my vid.

5: The retailer listings all appear to be from the same data base being pulled by multiple sites, all in France.
    6: The company pulled their listing first.
    7: The retailer followed around an hour later.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I honestly see the idea of a Colors remaster as the current group with the Sonic Team moniker (Iizuka, Kishimoto, and the rest) doing their own "revisiting the roots" moment. Colors remains their biggest success, even after they used it as a template for building subsequent games in Lost World and Forces; they might be doing this as a means to try and win back the crowd with their most well-received entry of the decade*. Colors is also probably a pretty low-maintenance game to give a port/remaster for, it's inarguably their most robust game in its design and technical performance. It's the type of game where you could just repackage it with some basic performance improvements (increased resolution and framerate, maybe added lighting for graphics) and resell it without much fuss.

*Generations did get a similar reception to Colors, but that game wasn't directed by Kishimoto and was designed by a mostly seperate group of designers.

Of course, I do wonder what Sonic Team expects the response for this to be. It's not 2010 anymore, where a big chunk of Colors' praise came from what it didn't do in comparison to recent Sonic games of the era. After a decade of lesser games/stories/etc. taking cues from what Colors introduced (and handling them even worse), I don't expect most people to be as forgiving towards the game that started them all. If ST are expecting reviewers and fans alike to respond now as they did eleven years ago, I think they're in for a bad surprise.

Not to nitpick, but the two million copies sold for Colors are split between the Wii and DS versions of the game. Most of the handheld Sonic games have historically garnered low sales though, so the Wii version probably made up the lion's share of that number.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If this is all we're getting for the 30th, it better be a really beefy remake or I'm going to sleep so hard this year.

4. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Yeah I was just gonna say, if the rereleases of SA1/2 are any indication, Critics are gonna tear this to shreds. They'll complain about the 2D, the pacing, the wisps, the story/dialogue, probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. "It's like that thing we hated 4 years ago. 6/10, it needs more Mario"

Didn't intend for that to rhyme but oh well

But what I'm looking forward to the most are the Forces kids who are gonna play this and think "Woww, it's like that thing I played 4 years ago!" and be the games next generation of cheerleaders for the forseeable future.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

I am honestly not expecting any changes to the base game at all. But I do wonder if the "Ultimate" part of the title means an extra mode, multiple characters or something like that.

Unless it's a bonus pre-order item and it means getting one of those old Sonic hats. :ruby:

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'd like to hope that this isn't all that Sega has planned, but a combination of COVID holding everything back + Sonic Team's only output in the last 4-year-stretch (2013-2017) was something as miniscule as Forces, uhh.. hm. Really not optimistic that they'll have much more than this to show.

7. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

If i was optimistic, the "ultimate" would be some kind of Bowsers Fury style mode where you fight the Mother Wisp like at the end of Colours DS.

(In which case, reviewers will bitch about a non eggman final boss and so the next Sonic Team game reuses the nega wisp armor for the 3rd time in a row because knowing which criticism is legitimate and which is bad faith is a stupid skill for losers apparantly)

8. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I’m not against the idea of a Colors HD port but I really hope this isn’t the main “new” Sonic game they’ve been working on for the past four years...

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

I am totally okay with this being the only game for the 30th anniversary.

It's cool when companies acknowledge them and do something to celebrate their IPs.

But it feels like Sega has been trying to get something "big" out for every anniversary since SA2 and honestly they should take their time.

Who knows how much better games like 06, Generations and Forces could've been if they didn't have to hit an arbitrary date (or release close to it).

Honestly I can't think of many video game franchises that follow that trend. Even other big IPs have gone without doing anything or releasing something considered "small."

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I don't really consider them making it for the 30th anniversary or not to be the big deal; I just hope an updated version of Colors isn't all they're up to these days. Hoping at the very least this is only meant to tide over for a delayed new title.

I've played Colors enough and read both the praise and discourse enough to last me a lifetime; to skip Forces (as if I was missing much) and sit out on a 3D Sonic game for seven years only to be given Colors again is... maaaaan, nah. lol

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Well, I'm sure they're doing something else. Even when they were making stuff like SADX or SA2B they were working on Heroes.

Not really sure why people are so worried they don't have something new in the pipeline.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The "Ultimate" branding means that it must be more than a straight port, no? Not trying to get my hopes up but that's got to mean it's not just the same game with a resolution bump. Maybe they imported everything to the Generations or Forces engine? Maybe some DS content is getting imported? Who knows.

I know Sonic fans are glad we finally have news. But given how impatient we were, I gotta give props to the Vectorman fandom, they've been waiting 25 years for an announcement. They're awfully patient.

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    On the one hand, Colors is definitely a game I'd be happy to revisit/reevaluate.

On the other...there's no way in hell all ST's been working on for 4 years is a remake...the longer things go on post-Mania the more bizarre it seems to get.

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think it's just that from 2013 to 2017, Forces was all they had to offer. And that was what felt like less than half of a game. It's been another four years since, so I don't think it's too unreasonable to fear history could repeat itself.

15. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Of course not. The first 3 were spent on the lighting engine. :eng101:

Good for Sonic Colors, I suppose, even if I've gotten less keen on it over the years. It certainly isn't a bad game, despite the platforming not feeling very Sonic at times. I just wish we'd get an Unleashed port already, though. After that, they can make a Forces 2 for all I care.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Gotta put some respect on Zippo's name here; he mentioned "Sonic Colors Ultimate" to me by name quite a while back. Looking forward to seeing how "Ultimate" this is. I was itching to give the game another go recently anyway so I'll well wait for this.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • List
  17. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    All I have to say is : YES !!! YESSS I WANTED THIS TO HAPPEN SO BADLY !!

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Wait, professional reviewers have actually complained about that?

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm not a fan at all of Colors, but I still hope this leak is accurate for those who enjoy it.

Anyway, I think many of you are reading too much into "Ultimate". The GameCube release of Sonic Adventure was called "Director's Cut", but no content "cut by a director" was included. They are just going to add whatever word they can think of to make the package sound cool. The best we can hope for is improved textures and models.

20. karlafalves

karlafalves

Gaia Gate Guard Member
    Brazil
    As a Sonic fan who hasn't played Colors yet since it is (was?) Nintendo-locked, I'm mega-hyped with the possibility of finally playing it for the very first time. Better than this, just a PC-ported Unleashed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List