don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. MH MD

MH MD

Saw this on twitter, supposedly a german dub studio listed Sonic Colors remastered that they finished recording in 2020

https://twitter.com/Kutairo_/status/1380295988292812800

How true/fake is this?

MOD EDIT: Changed thread title, prior was "German localisation website potentially leaks Sonic Colours Remaster". 9/9/21 Edited again to reflect the game's release.

Trailer here:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Huh. Well that wouldn't be the worst thing I guess, especially since it's arguably one of the few Sonic games that people like that's still trapped on its original hardware. Doesn't seem entirely necessary though, remaster SA1 and SA2 instead those need more polish.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'd rather get a remaster of Colors than the Adventure games. The Adventure games have already been rereleased a lot and Colors is a better package IMO. It'd be great to finally get an HD port of Colors on more than just Nintendo.

That being said, I'll only believe this leak when the game comes out.

EDIT: Did a quick search. Both the site and the company are legit. That's a good sign. Still not 100% convinced it's real, but I've got my fingers crossed. A Colors rerelease is both necessary and a good thing that this bleary earth needs.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    They've been rereleased yes but those I mean need to be rebuilt from scratch. But obviously Colors would be the easier game to remaster. Just improve the lighting, bump up the texture resolution/detail, redo the cutscenes, stuff like that. Those levels though would look great in 4k though that game had some of the best level themes in a "3D" Sonic game (that's like 85% 2D but yea)

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I would absolutely love to buy and play a Sonic Colours HD. Supposedly this site has also accidentally leaked things before, too. I can't imagine this news going down well with certain sectors of the fandom though (especially after that almost-certainly-fake story about SA1/2 remakes).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  6. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    On the one hand, a Colors rerelease of any kind is a good thing so that the game can be more available and can gain more exposure.

But I also think the Adventure games are the most in need of a remaster or remake. Especially for the first since every modern rerelease of that is the SADX port of a port, so anyone who doesn't have the luxury of playing on Steam can't use mods to fix the game and graphics.

If this ends up being true I really just hope that more games will start getting the same (or better) treatment.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You can currently buy SA1/2. You can't currently buy Colours. Between that and Colours selling pretty much 2 million on a single console, making it available again is a no-brainer.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Can't deny that. Also I always found it odd that they ported over Lost World before Colors. Like that was not a well received game, Colors was. They just stubbornly won't rerelease it.

I sure hope if this remaster is true they modify the control scheme a bit. Due to the Wiimotes lack of buttons things like drifting had to be mapped to boost for specific sections, also there was no quick step outside of certain sections. They should remap the controls to mimic Generations' so you can drift and quick step whenever you want. That and please let you use wisps as Super Sonic, that was dumb that you couldn't.

Also wouldn't mind if they found a way to implement multiplayer's dual wisp powers into the regular levels by like storing two wisps at once or something. It's a neat but underutilized feature.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    It's been removed from the list now. Hmmm =P

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
  11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I would have preferred a collection with Unleashed, Generations and Lost World, but then I would also have preferred if all four games got all the levels from their alternate versions added into the main game, so maybe I'm just picky.

I hope it's more than just "like Dolphin but costs $30" though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The store listing is a good sign. Hopefully it’s real.

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    This is...interesting. It's no secret I don't like Colours at all but a remaster with improved level design could be a fun time waster while waiting for the 2022 game at the very least.
    Especially at the price it's listed at on sogamely.

14. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    YES PLEASE

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I've never played the Wii version of Colors so if this rumor turns out to be true then I'm happy. I have a Wii U and I could just buy a copy of the original game but it'd be much easier just to play it on my PS5. I just hope we get some official announcement for anything soon regardless if this is real or not.

16. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I'm interested, but I hope it's a fairly substantial remaster. I've got a Wii with Colors, so if this is just "Dolphin on a disk" as mentioned above, I don't really have a need for it. The more updates, new modes, extra content, etc., the merrier, although I can't imagine the potential visual upgrade being particularly huge, especially compared to SA1/SA2 remasters.

Of course, even a straight port is still welcome so those who don't have immediate access to Colors can now get it. It's silly that series as massive as Mario and Sonic don't have all their main series games readily available on current consoles.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Interesting tidbits; this company handled the German dub of other Sonic games, and Colours was not dubbed in German on Wii (SEGA started doing German and other European dubs from Generations onwards). So this game is getting a brand new German dub, and likely the other languages too. That's cool, no?

Also it's probably called Sonic Colours Ultimate. Currently listed for PS4, XB1 and Switch. Notably it's a limited edition version (SEGA has made limited or bonus editions for the first runs of Lost World, ASRT and Forces in the past). No mention of PS5 and XBX yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. RikohZX

RikohZX

As always my biggest reason to be enthusiastic for more Sonic ports would be the modding potential. If Colors got a remaster, no more dancing around trying to get things to work as approximates in Generations, and no more having to deal with Dolphin and fan-made HD texture packs and a semi-unstable cheat code for 60 FPS, while opening Colors for physics/gameplay tweaks and level mods and so forth.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A PC port of Colors would be awesome. I'd be interested to see what people could do with the wisps.

20. You give Sega way too much credit if you think they aren't going to do the bare minimum for a port.

Anyway, I won't lie and say that I'm particularly excited for this, but I can understand it from a commercial standpoint; Colors sold well and was one of the most critically acclaimed games in the last decade, so making it available on Modern consoles makes sense.

If nothing else, it's a good chance for me to reevaluate my opinion about the game and see if I was being too hard on it in recent years. We're completely divorced from the context when the game came out in 2010 and people just wanted a "simple" Sonic game, so I'm curious on how the audience will take to a game like that now in 2021 after almost 3-4 years of no real news.