don't click here

Things to mirror

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    And then... it all went away.

I guess it proves the value of this topic - if Gestalt (and others) hadn't shared their (presumably beefy?) internet connections, hundreds of magazine scans would have been lost. In fact hundreds still were, but other sites have be "PC Retro" or "Amiga Retro" because we can't do everything.

I'm hoping this is a temporary thing, but yeah, don't assume things will be safe and done, because clearly they might not be.

2. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Yeah, that's messed up another unrelated project I have which linked to the pages there. I guess you really can't rely on Internet Archive for hosting stuff. The sad thing is that I never saved any of it, so I don't know if anyone else has saved the niche stuff. Also Mega Machines 3-5, I hadn't got around to downloading and editing those yet, maybe someone else has downloaded those. He was still uploading magazines as of a few days ago, so hopefully it's just a technical issue which can be fixed.

3. Pengi

Pengi

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah these are great, but Retro CDN's uploader can't cope with files that big.

We could resize down to 300dpi which would probably help, but I've been putting it off because it feels a bit dirty. "Something" would be better than nothing though.

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I tried to extract the images from the PDF to resize them, but got a lot of syntax errors. I am tempted to download the raw files and... we really can't simply upload them as they are?

6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Is it possible to increase the limit for uploading files to Retro CDN?... It can handle files of this size but not larger than 1 Gigabyte... it would make things easier ...

7. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Once we get to files at that size, the bigger problem is almost always not the file itself but the sheer strain it takes for the server to parse 1GB+ PDFs into pages. It strains enough when there's mass uploads. Just try to size it down to something consumable.

Realistically, we need to buy some server upgrades including dedicated image processing hardware, but that's a lower priority at the moment until we reach our current storage limits (which we'll probably hit in 1-2 years at this rate).

8. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Ok... I understand... concerning "Gamest" magazine, I will at least upload those that do not exceed 1 Gigabyte in size... I'm not an "expert" in this stuff as most of you guys are... I'm basically just an uploader...

9. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    If that's the case, I'll just use the JP2s.

10. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    I guess he's back... but with a new account...

https://archive.org/details/@delphinus48?and[]=mediatype:"texts"&sort=titleSorter

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  12. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yep... there's some more... don't worry ... "Sega Retro's Upload Department" is taking a look... :)

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The Go Sega 60th anniversary album (which I think has been delayed) has something of interest:

https://60th.sega.com/contents/goods/item_cd-gosega.html

Disc 1, track 2 is the classic Sega chant.

Because here's the thing - I'm not sure a CD-quality version of that jingle is readily available. While it's instantly recognisable to an entire generation, it doesn't turn up in many games and I suspect many are sourced from Sonics 1-through-3 or some crappy TV ad.

Sonic 4? Sonic Mania? They could be sourced from the best recording Sega have, but this collection is being headed by Hiroshi Kawaguchi (Hiro), so it should be decent. One to look out for - we might require it one day.

14. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
  15. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Following on from the "En-Joint" concept stuff, there's (horribly compressed) scans of a similar booklet about the Amusement Theme Park stuff involving Yokohama Joypolis and Osaka ATC Galbo around on Facebook, thanks to Yosuke Okunari:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unless Okunari published them somewhere more obscure in their original quality I have no idea where else these would be

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://www.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/sega-press-kit-flyers-leafet
    https://www.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/dreamcast-asset-presskit-photo

Other things from that site - press kits.

https://segaretro.org/Category:Press_files

I don't quite know what everything is yet, so there might be some overlap.

I am planning to tackle the Sega parts of that EPK August 2005 (but not the videos - that needs someone who knows what they're doing). Other bits are all yours... unless I get bored next week.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  18. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Issues of LOGiN magazine. They retain a small amount of console coverage, coverage of trade shows, and obviously lots of PC-98 stuff.

19. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Elektronische Produktkatalog (plural: Elektronische Produktkataloge) = Electronic product catalogue/catalogues ... ;)

Leave it with me ... ;)

20. Pengi

Pengi

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List