don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Rrose80149

Rrose80149

The game crash when going on a zone in Level Select, leaving the Special Stage, and getting stuck on the Zone's background. Any fix to it?

2. Robjoe

Robjoe

I know I saw the game hang on Zone backgrounds when I was attempting to run with an external scripts folder that wasn't set up right. As in, that seems to be as far as the engine can get when it can't find any scripts.

So, are you trying to run it with external data and/or script folders? If not, then your Data.rsdk file is probably to blame. Seems some of the downloads floating around the internet are dodgy. I remember the first data files I tried for both Sonic 1 and 2 were screwed up in their own ways, but after some searching I found ones that worked.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    So, has anyone fixed these up with proper menus and such yet?

4. we are working on an "alt" branch with new menus to make it look and feel more complete, though we've hit a burn out from doing too much work to quickly, though we do hope to get it finished asap, the pause menu is pretty much finished though, its just the main menus (and an integrated mod loader) we have to finish before its done, the pause menu has been shown off and can be seen here: https://twitter.com/rmg_rich/status/1353873693609492485?s=20

5. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Cool! I've waited this long already so I definitely don't mind waiting a little longer to jump in. Looking forward to it.

6. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    Absolutely. You guys take all the time you need. This and the Sonic 1 prototype discovery are my personal "30th anniversary treats", so there's no need to rush it.

7. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I'd just like to echo the previous posts; you're doing amazing work, and burnout SUCKS! So please take your time and don't overwork yourself; it will be worth the wait. :)

8. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Absolutely amazing! Thank you so much for all of this!

9. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Great job on the release! I think your reasons for not pursuing 1.2.0 are super valid, but would you consider releasing what was done of that gorgeous pause menu, so maybe someone could turn it into a mod? I've been looking forward to that in particular ever since the video of it was posted...

10. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    This might not be the best place for bug reports, but I'm getting intermittent crashes whenever I try to load the game on both Rev 1 and the normal application. One moment it seems to work fine and the next it seems to not want to load at all.

11. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I just wanted to follow up to confirm that both of these versions fix the debug/pause glitch. If you want to find your data.rdsks for each game, these 2 versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are the best to seek out.

We now have perfect ports of these 2 classics working natively on PC. At long last.

https://github.com/Rubberduckycooly/Sonic-1-2-2013-Decompilation/releases/tag/v1.1.2.1

Also, download this version as it fixes a major bug that causes frequent crashing. Haven't seen this mentioned here.

If you obtain this, and version 3.5.5 of Sonic 1, and 1.3.5 version of Sonic 2, and use them with this de-compiler (you'll have to find them manually. Sorry. The only other tip I'll give is that renaming a certain type of file to zip and looking for an "assets" folder is very, very useful), the decompiler will play the 2 games flawlessly and now allow for mod support, making these the definitive PC "ports" of Sonic 1 and 2, while also allowing Debug mode and all features to work properly.

I also reccomend opening up the settings ini and changing the "fullscreen" and "borederless" settings to "true" so you can play the game in borderless fullscreen without issues. You can also manually configure other features like vsync, keyboard layouts, and audio volumes (sfx vs music) in this ini. I've tweaked all of these to my preferred settings.

I'm sure future mods can make all this even easier to control, but hopefully that gives the rest of you lurkers an idea of how to use this. Thank you to everyone here who helped me figure it out. It's so nice to no longer need bluestacks to play these versions on PC.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2021
  13. We'll try to cobble together the assets of 1.2.0 (since in the end, most of the art did end up being finished, at least to a conceptual state) and release that somewhere if possible. though I can't say for 100% that we'll be able to since we'll have to ask the artists if they're cool with it ofc, I'll provide an update if we're able to do a proper release of it!

That was a last minute bug, there's been a quick fix build released on the github to (hopefully) fix that bug

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    If it's a matter of the art and you run into any difficulties getting permission to use it, I'm sure myself or any number of other artists on here would love to step up to bat and whip up some appropriate replacements.

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Super hyped to have this in a PC playable format that isn't just a mania mod or Bluestacks headaches. Slightly saddened by the debug looking main menu, but this scratches an itch I've had since these first released on Mobile.

16. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Excellent! Now if only the game controller support would actually work I would be able to enjoy this. (It refuses to see my XInput or DInput devices)

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    And now the Decompilation of Sonic CD supports what I consider the final milestone in classic features...

https://gamebanana.com/mods/293589

Super forms in Sonic CD:

It only took 18 years. Once this mod is fully working (steam support is still being worked out), all of the mainstray 2D classics will have features consistent with S3&K.

Edit: And now it works on Steam, though cross mod compatability seems hit and miss right now.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    And another Bump with a video I uploaded to show the very cool Sonic Forever project, which uses the Decompilation to essentially add a ton of little S3AIR like Features to Sonic 1, making it feel incredibly complete and satisfying to run through:

After 30 years, we've taken this (and the other classics) games to its most amazing form in just the past few months.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I really wish people would quit using those shit mania edited tails sprites. They look so bad and out of place.