don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frostav

Frostav

Once I noticed that 2D sections in boost games are usually preceeded by going around a corner, going inside something, or anything that allows Sonic Team to hide the fact that there's no geometry on the other side of the 2D section, it became really really noticeable.

e.g. Chemical Plant Modern's first 2D section is after a huge-ass hill blocking your view, the second is behind a door you slide under and a very sharp turn, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    https://twitter.com/BB_blueyellow/status/1299406352536698881

Has anybody mentioned this at all? I feel like many have suspected this to begin with, but it could explain why it's been so long without an announcement. If we're going by what they say in the clip, SEGA wanted to try a new format (clearly some specific type of live format) for the next announcement.

Again, I'm sure many have suspected that the absence of live events has postponed any kind of reveal, but the fact that they really want to try this new format could mean that they won't say anything until they have a chance to do everything perfectly, the way they want it. I'm sure if it gets too close to their planned release date then they'll have to say something, but we might not be seeing anything period until conventions and live shows are safe / legal again.

It makes me curious what this new live format could be... they've done parties, they've done concerts, they've done stealthy reveals like the one they did for Boom... I really don't know what bases they haven't covered for a simple announcement.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I kind of wonder if they're looking at how things like Directs go and how last year's Game Awards went; even today's Blizzcon thing was like that. Someone physically on a stage / set announcing projects and doing it up nicely with the production side of things. Unless they're thinknig something really left field, I feel like that general format more where they're aiming to go if they're that set on whatever this is.

4. Hikki Komori

Hikki Komori

I really want them to just Stream the announcement(s) live @_@ What they have planned can't be SO amazing that they're postponing it indefinitely until they can get it just right.

Covid happened... cut your losses... show us the games :(

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I’ve been able to handle the wait so far, but at this point I’m inclined to agree. We’re a little over three months out from Sonic’s anniversary, which would probably be the best time to reveal the game(s), assuming they’re targeting the usual November release slot.

Certainly in the US they won’t be ready for a live, in-person event for that time, and however they want to reveal the game(s) isn’t nearly as important as getting the information out so people can have an idea of they’ll be playing before it releases.

Having said all that, I do believe on or around Sonic’s birthday is when they’re planning to give us news, and I’m sure they’ve got a digital backup in the works if they can’t go with their original vision.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I'm fairly certain that news will be coming soon. I'll be really surprised (and frankly disappointed) if we reach the end of April without news, but I think that sometime in March/early April seems reasonable. We've had some murmurings going on the background; first of all, a Sonic Netflix show was accidentally teased before Prime was announced properly a few weeks later, then we got some fairly tumultuous goings-on with the VA debacle which at least confirmed that at least some of the series major English-language VAs have left the series, Pontac and Graff have all but been officially confirmed to have left the series...

Basically, we know that the gears appear to be turning. I would usually try to step back and not care too much about the wait, but yeah it's getting arduous now. I'm not about to say that they should just drop the news any day and in any way though. Gaming has shifted to showing off big new titles in presentations. It used to all be about E3, then that eventually grew to other conventions too and now company or brand-specific events are becoming more mainstay.

If SEGA is planning something relatively flashy for Sonic this year, I'm all for it. It would be a mistake just to "cut their losses" and show us the games. Who else is waiting on Sonic news apart from the die-hards like us? Nobody. So it's in their interest to make as big a splash as they can and not to reveal the games too early. Mania and Project Sonic 2017 created a huge buzz when they were revealed at the 25th Anniversary party; an event like that got lots of gaming media talking. The news spread around really well. And we had a similar case with Boom, where SEGA held a huge event to talk about, unveiling the game TV show at the same time. I'm not saying that now is necessarily too early, but they've got to be able to balance the months leading up to release with a steady flow.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Flygon

Flygon

Unless they're planning to host a concert purely for New Zealanders or Northern Territorians, I can't exactly see that flying in 2021.

9. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe it was cancelled already and the magazine excerpt is outdated, or maybe it's some kind of virtual concert.

10. I think it will be exactly a virtual concert.

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Sega literally does the Project Diva games, so it's not like they don't have the assets/resources for, say, a digital Sonic-themed Miku concert...

12. DoodlesYT

DoodlesYT

"No! I'm with the science team!" Member
    I honestly hope they bring back Sonic X-Treme. The game had so much potential to be an amazing sonic game, all crushed by a Christmas deadline

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I disagree. It didn't look too hot, and between recovered protoypes and fan restorations, there's not a lot I think needs to be salvaged.

Either way, plenty of the ideas were reincorporated into Lost World, an actually good game.:ruby:

14. DoodlesYT

DoodlesYT

I mean, they could remaster the graphics and such. I honestly love the idea of a sonic game like Sonic X-Treme, mostly because of the mesmerizing illusion of going through the whole level in just one small planet. I dont know why I feel that, it just feels cool. and I agree, sonic lost world is pretty cool (even though I never played it).

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    There's almost a less than zero percent chance of that.

16. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

17. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Yes, I put the emote there as a sign that I knew it was an unpopular opinion among people who are wrong.

18. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Lost World is one of the best 3D games in the franchise and the lack of appreciation it received held back the franchise because they went back to boost with forces and showed they really didn't have anything left with that formula.

When we easily could have gotten an open world 15+ hour sonic game with multiple playable characters with Lost World gameplay as the base very similar to the Zelda dlc.

Shame really.

19. DoodlesYT

DoodlesYT

its similar to Xtreme, except levels are 5x bigger, along with collectibles and DLC, thus having a lot of replay value. and this is coming from a guy who hasn't played the game.

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm expecting a Sonic Eraser port.

Nothing less, nothing more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.