don't click here

OMFG...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Nov 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    First off, let me explain my situation as to clarify how I came to my claim. (which I will state later)

I'm watching Adult Swim, and it's on the second run through. Family Guy was on, and it had just cut to the commercials. The standard commercials came on at first... Boondocks Ad, witty [adult swim] bumps, etc. But one single commercial caught my eyes.. Or ears, persay. It was a commercial for a home selling company called "Quality Homes of Rochester. (I live in New York, so yeah.) This commercial intrigued me first by the tubular bells playing... I thought, "Heh, this sounds familiar. Prolly gonna be another one of those cheap ripoffs of a song to bypass a lawsuit." However, after listening a little bit further, I realized the stunning fact.

THEY FUCKING STOLE ICE PARADISE'S BGM FROM SONIC ADVANCE 2!

EVERYTHING was there. The annoying organ sample, the tubular bells, the exact notes, exact samples, EVERYTHING! Even the synth-like lead that comes in after a while.

I couldn't get to sleep to well after that; I just sat up in my bed, literally going WTF. There's gotta be a major lawsuit or something coming from this unless they have consent to use the song, which I doubt.

I'm seriously considering contacting SEGA about this, as this personally offends me as a great lover of the music in Sonic.

The website of Quality Homes of Rochester is located at http://www.qualityhomesrochester.com/

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    Do it. Nobody deserves to have their work stolen, not even Sega.

3. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    The people to contact would be your cable company (or satellite if they do local insertion), since that was probably a locally inserted spot. In fact, if it pisses you off that bad, keep an eye out for it on other cable stations (and local ones as well).

4. Sonic 65

Sonic 65

Tech Member
    What the fuck. The Rochester Homes salespeople deserve to be shot. Start a lawsuit plz.

5. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    ...Wow. Go for the lawsuit, they deserve to get owned.

6. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Maybe the director heard the music in the game, thought it was perfect for the ad, and licenced it from SEGA/Wavemaster?

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Doubtful. I'm going to try and get in contact with these people to see if they can revise the ad, or at least see if they have consent. Once I do, we'll go from there.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Double post, sorry. Here's what I've sent...

Guess we'll see how this goes, eh?

9. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Proof plz.

Can you get a video of the commercial? I'll wanna hear it before I pass judgement.

10. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    The letter you should have written:

Much better.

11. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    Why do you assume its stolen?

12. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Um... It was on pretty late last night. I don't have a video, nor the means to create one with sound at this time. If someone else in the Rochester area wants to help and record it, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I do see your point though; Makng claims of this multitude without providing proof at first is pretty suspicious. I assure you though, my claim is valid.

13. Seven Force

Seven Force

Eggman has seized Mobeuis! I wonder what's for din Member
    Because it's unlikely that some random estate agent would be able to foot the bill to use Sega's music and images.

And their web-presence sucks.

14. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Simple, it wasn't stolen - it was copyright infringed :lol: *NUKE*

EDIT: Yes, for those who can't understand, it IS a joke, mainly for being inconsistent using "infringing cppyright" and stealing in the same sentence.

*DOUBLE NUKE*

15. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Sega should be happy that Quality Homes of Rochester likes their music enough to put in an ad. =P

16. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Who in the company is playing video games like that, especially somewhat-crappy games?

17. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I have a digital camera, with sound recording capabilities(near perfect too). The problem is that when I transfer it to my computer, the sound dissapears, or gets so staticy that trying to listen to it is impracticle.

18. Kogen

Kogen

Derp Banned
    Bouvet Island
    Last Party on the Moon
    I've seen the same thing several times, I was just assuming Sega ripped off some old Christmas song. Glad to see others have noticed it too. Though it does seem rather stupid if they have actually stolen this from the game, anyone with common sense wouldn't do it. And I have seen a few EA Games(C&C: Generals, Simcity 4) have their music in commericals and just general TV shows such as those crime investigating ones; commerical being a razor blade one, so it is common for game companies to do this without noticing the public. But EA seem more generally like whores than Sega. Really would like to see their responce to your message.

19. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Let Sega handle their own business. Next time you are the one getting sued for borrowing Sonic for your own use.

20. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

What L0st said, + Don't accuse unless you know for sure they used things without permision - you never know... you don't see a war between Konami and Saab because they both use "Ready Steady Go!" by Paul Oakenfold (Saab in a commercial, Konami in Dance Dance Revolution) EDIT: Ok, BAD example. :blushing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.