don't click here

"Multiple" new Sonic games planned for 2021

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Tbf while nothing is confirmed yet, a Spyro 4 is almost certain. I bet Activision plans on switching back and forth between the two, one year Crash, one year Spyro, rinse and repeat.

2. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

I'd be happy to chime in and point out that Generations actually had a faster movement speed, but the field of view of Unleashed's camera helped make it seem otherwise. :eng101:

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think the way to do a run button in Sonic is to have Sonic accelerate to a certain capped speed normally, and then accelerate to his top speed at the same rate relative to his terrain when the button is held down. Then, you can just have an option to enable the button always for people who don't want that or have a naturally easier time controlling Sonic normally. But maybe that's just me, since I think 90% of all games could be improved with a more detailed options menu.

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    If you don't want to go at top speed, just don't hold the control stick all the way up. That's why control sticks adjust like that.

5. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    So... Nintendo Direct in 11 hours, apparently its not going to be a short 'single announcement' direct but something serious - 50 minutes long.

Chance of one of the multiple Sonic games coming this year coming to switch? Decent. Chances of SEGA letting Nintendo premiere news on their behalf.... dunno. Definitely not the big game and I can't see it not being Multiplatform, and the BIG game presumably has a 50% chance of being PS5/XSX instead of Switch.

BUT - what if the Taxman Sonic 1, 2 and CD games finally came out on consoles this year - a proper anniversary collection? Or, what if we finally got the Sonic 3 release (doubtful based on what we know but we can dream). Could that fit into a Nintendo Direct? Possibly....

Not going to get excited, but it's Feb and I want some Sonic news, and I'd say I'm sitting at about 20% hopefulness Sonic will appear in 11 hours. And if he doesn't - there's plenty of other games being announced later so hey, alls good.

(EDIT: just realised, he's in Smash, so there's a likelihood he WILL appear in the direct one way or another. They do seem to like showing him off when they bring new characters to the roster)

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I could see them premiering the rumoured Sonic collection, assuming it’s something in the vain of Gems and Mega Collection.

Eggman in Smash would be great but I don’t expect it to happen and it’s not really relevant to the rumours.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

Too bad there may never be a compilation release in the likes of JAM, with a 3D mini-space to explore and play with.

8. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I’m sorry but if they’re going to release another Mega Collection style title with the classics but exclude Sonic 3, then it shouldn’t be done in my opinion.. there needs to be a lot in there to make up for that hole (not trying to be negative but we all know it will still be incomplete)

Now if they do a 3D collection, it will be something I’ll consider depending on what games will be in it (Adventure 1+2, Heroes, Unleashed, and Colors would be great but due to space, one of them will have to go)

9. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    This.
    MatPat did a Game Theory video showing that Sonic in Sonic1 runs slower than Mario in Super Mario Bros when you're comparing pixels. The actual speed doesn't matter as much as the perceived speed based on the background and objects in the game. If ST make Sonic slower then they won't have to spend so much time making their levels so expansive and resource heavy. A slower Sonic would also give you more ability for platforming.

10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Even if the next Sonic game was Nintendo-exclusive, I can't imagine Sega leaving it for Nintendo to announce. The only way I could see an appearance from Sonic is if Eggman is the new Smash character, which I'm not counting on, even if I'd love it.

11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    If anything Sonic-related is going to appear, I bet it'd just be an eShop port of some 2D game that gets casually thrown out among a list of other titles. There's been no indication that anything like that will happen, but who knows, I guess. I'm honestly thinking they're reserving most of the time for their flagship series, like Mario stuff and maybe some Pokemon Snap 2 or BOTW 2.

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Not to be petty or anything, but since I’ve seen people mention this video a few times: it’s completely half assed and has been debunked years ago. The "Mario is faster than Sonic" thing was calculated using shortcuts for Mario and is pretty obviously not true if you just look at both games side by side for a few seconds.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Can we just say that debunked or not, that's got to be the dumbest way to compare speed in games ever? But evidently, Game Theory and its click-bait garbage know how to get those sweet views.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    When I said in the vein of, I meant in the nature of being ports/emulations rather than full on remasters or remakes.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I know what you meant.. but based on what we saw with the Genesis Mini and that Genesis collection that came out in 2019, even ports/emulations would be out of the question in 3&Ks case

16. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Probably not, but Jam’s Sonic World also served another function, it was our first true taste of 3D Sonic. This comparison only just came to mind because of how recent it is, but it’s like the new Bowser’s Fury mode in the Switch release of Mario 3D World - a short campaign attached to a rerelease (that has only a few modest quality-of-life changes) that hints at what the next proper 3D Mario might do.

I would love something like that too, but at this point the novelty’s worn off and I imagine most gamers would prefer those bonus features to just be accessible by menu.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm curious. It seems like every game in existence these days has a photo mode of sorts. Seeing as how cinematic some Sonic games what are the chances a photo mode makes it into the next 3D outing?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  18. brandonj

brandonj

It'd be pretty cool to see a photo mode in future games but I imagine the reason one hasn't appeared yet has to do with the fact that the devs would have to add a bunch of extra background geometry to stages to cover all the holes and gaps you don't see in normal gameplay, since otherwise you'd end up with this:

[​IMG]

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya the boosting games would have those limitations. An Adventure style game would probably be fine though with a camera mode. Tbh I think most of these camera modes are a waste of space but thus is the trend I guess.

20. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    It's the same with Mario 3D world. Because of the stationary camera, there are parts that just aren't put into the game. They got around this by just not letting you move the camera all the way around in photo mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.