don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Cinematic Universe Thread (& Knuckles)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 28, 2020.

1. Frostav

Frostav

I could definitely see them using something from City Escape or Live and Learn in one of these movies, but that's probably as far it'd go. Maybe a quick sting from Unknown from Me if knux shows up.

2. Trance

Trance

The annoying guy you've probably seen around. Member
    Yes, I'd have to agree. Imo, Live and Learn would fit for a boss scene (Like the 1st movie), and City Escape would be fitting for a opening scene (Like the 1st movie again).

3. I thought I read that the director of this movie is a classic sonic fan? If thats the case, I wonder if they will actually do any adventure nods at all. So far they haven't and tbh it doesn't really make sense to do so before they insert the original characters.

Now if the movies continue to get made after this one, then yeah.

4. Trance

Trance

The annoying guy you've probably seen around. Member
    Well, technically SA2 would be Classic. And you might say that it's more Modern than classic. Well, yeah that is the case, it's in the 2000's. This is my own personal opinion. Feel free to correct it.

5. Pachacamac was in the first film. Anything is possible

6. Wildcat

Wildcat

Love this. That’s probably my only complaint about the first movie. Just needed some more recognizable music to go with certain parts.

7. Nova

Nova

>Live and Learn
    >In a big screen live action Sonic movie

lmao

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've not seen the firzt film and don't plan to do so but would caution optimism around this one. I know the first film was okay but it's very common for film sequels to be worse, even significantly worse, than the original.

9. Nova

Nova

Seriously losing it imagining a CGI Super Sonic smashing Jim Carrey up to the tune of Live and Learn

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Heck just get Crush 40 to do an original score for the movie.

11. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Plenty of examples though of the opposite! I've frequently seen The Empire Strikes Back, Back to the Future 2, The Godfather Part II, Toy Story 2 and The Dark Knight regarded as superior to the original movies (not that I always agree, even with those examples).

I don't think the fact that Sonic 2 is a sequel sets it up to be better or worse than if it were just its own movie. I'm cautiously optimistic they'll be able to bring in more stuff from the games this time at least.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    There are definitely exception to the rule (I think Shrek 2 is better than the first), but on a whole sequels are the same or worse that the original. And that goes double for kids movies. Of the films you mentioned only Toy Story is arguably a kids film. (And I don't think "kids film" is the appropriate genre for Pixar movies, but that's a different discussion.)

13. Fadaway

Fadaway

There's a lot riding on it and they have to at least know that. It was a major success all things considered. In spite of some reviews being mediocre or in spite of it not being what some fans wanted, it did astonishingly well for what it was.

I think they're eyeballing a whole film franchise at this point as a possibility and part two will make that possible or break it. It'll have Tails in it. Knuckles seems a sure bet from what has been talked about. I am hoping they at least bring in some game lore. I'm hoping they take it to some exotic locations. Angel Island maybe. Or somewhere else clever from the games. But, with Knuckles, hopefully that.

If they can make a successful sequel, they have a lot to gain.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Sequels for kids tend to be worse, but sequels for superheroes tend to be better because they have already presented the characters and their origin and thus can focus on going forward from there, and also they tend to make bigger spectacles on said sequels. I think Sonic counts as both, so it has decent chances of at least being on the same level, and an extra option to be better as it will be made since the beginning taking into account the critics that lead to the delay and improvement of the first one.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like this has a good chance to be better than the 1st, if only because this time they're on the right footing from the beginning. No bizarre designs or gremlin hedgehogs. And hopefully more game elements.

16. Wildcat

Wildcat

My expectations are high and they were high for the first one. Not because I think it’ll it best movie ever but I have always wanted a live action Sonic movie. It might seem silly to some but it was my most wanted movie ever. It just outranked everything for me.

It took long but I am actually glad it never happened in the 90s because the cgi was just not good enough. They probably would have alternated between Puppet and CGI or something else but imo it would have looked off.

Seeing Sonic “come to life” makes me very happy. I do not care if the storyline was kind of generic. It worked, it was entertaining and I’m grateful it’s getting a sequel which can only build on it. I thought it would get one anyway but I’m glad it exceeded general opinion.

17. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Watch them make a faithful adaptation that the fan base loves, only for critics to hate it compared to the first movie. “What the fuck is a Chaos Emerald? 1 star.”

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It did help that due to the pandemic it was about the only film out.

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Yes, and many, many people (myself included) braved the pandemic, putting their lives at risk, for Sonic. I'm surprised you're praising this movie so highly.

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The movie did come out a month before lockdowns, and was one of only two major money-making movies released in theaters in 2020 as a result.

I do think it would've made a bit more money had the pandemic not screwed everything over.