don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    You'll be able to mod it out of your game once the script decompilations are out, which I think will be in version 1.2.0. You could also try to get a version without the issue included, which would be versions 3.5.5 (3.5.1 in Sonic Retro's wiki page) for Sonic 1 and 1.3.5 (1.3.1 in Retro) for Sonic 2. Or so I've heard, anyway.

2. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Yeah, I didn't know there was a way initially, but before I fired it up the second time I saw that it created a settings.ini file, and I figured there might be something there, which there was. :)

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Got it working. Just did a Sonic & Tails runthrough.

In the past 48 hours I've played this and Knuckles in Sonic CD. This is a great time to be a classic fan again. I look forward to the madness that is a full run through Sonic 1-K+CD+Mania with S&T or K.

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So, a couple of questions:

1) The description mentions it, but how does fast-forward actually work? In Mania, you just hold backspace, but that doesn't seem to be working here.
    2) Egg Gauntlet Zone in Sonic 2 functioned with the Sega Forever APK, but that one had the bug where the pause menu would come up when you hit B. I've tried multiple versions of the pre-Forever APK, and it just seems to crash. Anyone else had any luck?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That was discussed earlier. It's a stupid thing put in by the Sega Forever developers that ties that button to the dev menu pause or something. Currently there's no work around for this but they're working on it. But Egg Gauntlet was removed from some later versions of the original paid version. So you have to find either an earlier build of the paid version or deal with that weird Sega Forever function.

6. llun

llun

They're not working on fixing the issue that Sega Forever devs added.. BUT it's easy to fix if you get the decompiled scripts as those are decompiled from a version before the whole pause situation was added by a dev.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Curious about something. So at least in Sonic 2, Knuckles and Tails mode is an option through the level select, but not on the default menu. Would it be possible to add that as a selectable option for save files?

I think this was an option in Sonic 1 too but through more complicated means (Sonic 2 added an options menu to the level select by selecting 00 3 times, Sonic 1 had options listed in the level select but Knuckles and Tails was not one of them)

8. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    Probably, the script decompilations for both Sonic 1 and 2 are now out, so you can modify the entirety of the game's code alongside the executable itself. A proper level editor is soon to follow.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes I just played Sonic 2 after installing a few scripts and mods (improved sprites, no super music, improved hud, different hidden palace music) and what a lovely experience. I'm so glad we've finally entered a new age of Classic Sonic hacks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. RDNexus

RDNexus

Would be possible to see a video of that?
    Got curious ^^

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Are the achievements glitched? I just fulfilled the conditions for Ramp Ring Acrobatics, yet it's still marked as "not achieved". Blast Process is "achieved".

Edit: Either they're glitched or mislabeled. Fulfilling the conditions for Blast Processing sets Ramp Ring Acrobatics to "achieved" and vice versa.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ahh sorry I didn't record a playthrough but here's a video of the character mod I used:

It replaces Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman with modified Mania sprites and gives Sonic and Super Sonic a few new/fixed frames. So imagine this video with a hud that displays milliseconds and no super music and that was my play through

Also Egg Gauntlet is a neat experience, wish they kept it.

13. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I've noticed that occasionally when I jump out of the water, my leaps gain a crazy upward momentum and become moonjumps :V

Was this bug in the original mobile version?

15. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Yes, I actually found it helpful on occasion. The end of Scrap Brain 3 comes to mind.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. cs89

cs89

It's very good to play the remake of Sonic 1 and 2 games.
    I tried with the free version's data files and it works well on various PCs with varying Hz monitors.

17. Codr

Codr

Cyprus
    Huge secret ;)
    I already own the game like on 10 different platforms. I feel no guilt doing this. Even though if an official port got released on Steam, I'd probably buy that too. I had the pre-forever versions and I have to say, they really nerfed the games after the forever releases, even though I purchased the games again post forever, I still get ads in the form of popups, the menus suck because ads are removed, but the places they are meant to appear still leave room for them. Somehow, the post forever release of CD also has some weird audio bugs. So maybe the decomp isn't so bad after all...

I'm wondering when someone will update the engine for 120Hz monitors though :eyebrow:

18. Robjoe

Robjoe

All right, so I'm mildly worried this will look like a stupid question, but I've trawled through a couple threads on here, poked around GitHub and looked through the decomp for some documentation with no luck, so I guess I'll bite the bullet and ask:

How practical is it to run the Sonic CD decomp with mods? I'm assuming the Steam version's mod loader is a no-go, but is it possible to make this thing load its assets from an actual folder instead of the usual Data.rsdk file? I have all the data ripped out of it and sitting in its own folder, though the decomp's EXE doesn't seem to see it out-of-the-box. I'm using the pre-built x64 version from the GitHub release page, but would this be something I'd need to compile from the source to do?

There's been a few I wanted to check out, like Knuckles and all of the QOL features, but I don't think I could stomach going back to the janky old Steam release after seeing how nice these decompilations are. (And on that note, thank you to everyone involved! Obviously Sonic 1 & 2 are the big news, but I feel CD is very important as well after what an insult the PC port ended up being, considering how Sega handled it.)

EDIT: Haaaa, I foolishly forgot to rename the Data.rsdk file to stop the game from seeing it. Now I have a usable data folder. However, none of the mods I've tried thus far seem to be functional, but perhaps they're simply not compatible with anything other than the Steam release? They seem to work fine when applied to that via the Steam mod loader.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  19. RDNexus

RDNexus

So, a Refresh version of the Decomp showed up on GameBanana, with a menu and tons of funny stuff.
    There was even a playthrough on YouTube with said Decomp Refresh, with link to it.
    But today, the mod page states it was trashed due to the heads of the mod caring more about popularity than quality.
    Some crap seems to have happened during these last few hours... ^^"

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Has anyone had any luck in getting the DOS port to work? I've tried it a couple places and it just hangs for me. Sound initialization issue maybe?