don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Yes, I would hope that it does! We already have Sonic Mania mods, which are of course Retro Engine based.

This should open the door for mods with much more flexibility, and native gameplay of said fan games on all platforms!

Imagine playing the latest version of a fan game on PSVita or Android phone etc.

2. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/

This site grabs the .apks straight from the Play Store, just pop the links for the "Classic" versions there.

e: Oh, my bad. Rereading the posts it seems you're both trying to get the latest version of the paid games off your phones. I'm afraid I can't help you there.

3. as much as I'd love to fix this (and believe me I do), its not a "bug" at all, its an intentional feature added in sega forever versions for... *some* reason?

[​IMG]
    as you can see here, the game is checking if start was pressed for pause menu AND checking if B was pressed for whatever reason

while it cannot be fixed via the decompilation due to all game logic being scripted, and stored as bytecode, we're working on a script decompilation just like we did for CD for S1/S2, allowing all your custom characters/objects/whatever to be a reality, or you could just make a few minor tweaks and remove some annoying features

4. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I've only just played these remakes through these decomps, so I have a couple of things that I noticed that might be issues in the original versions. it just me or does Sonic (in Sonic 2) outrun the screen far more easily? I also noticed Tails seemed to be getting stuck and dying more often (I heard Tails' death sound as I was just running towards EHZ1's signpost), and I assume these are due to the engine of the original and not a problem with the decompilation. I know that the issue with the Aquatic Ruin zone boss not locking the camera vertically which is a bit annoying, but that will probably be fixed by somebody at some point now.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  5. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Sorry for question, but... Will it run on 32-bit operating systems?

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I can confirm that this version posted by Clownacy works fine in 32-bit xp.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. For those not on Discord, a Pause menu, Save menu and Mod Loader are in the works, for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Just to address the elephant in the room... why doesn't the decompilation have the original menus?

9. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    53DE553E-8BCD-46F5-962C-3E5BDA6BE570.jpg I ran into this image on the 3 AIR discord. Although likely a WIP, is this what I think it is?? Because if this becomes reality, I will literally lose my mind.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Wow, that looks really co-

*sees where CD is placed*

NO IT'S AWFUL I HATE IT

11. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

Amazing! May be it's a stupid thing to say but it would be nice if it lets us switch games instead of having to change the name of the file manually every time.

12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Just make separate folders for S1 and S2 and copy the program to each.

13. Ralbalboa

Ralbalboa

Ha ha ha ha, what an ass I am... I'm a little embarrased now for being so squared... thanks for the tip. Just done it.

14. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    From the Discord server:
    Ultimately they're the hardest thing to decompile, it seems.

15. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I feel sort of stupid asking this, but will features such as being able to access the dev menu, alter speed caps and Monitors in saved games be still available in later versions?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This would be amazing. Like a modern extended Sonic Jam with modding abilities.

17. llun

llun

This isn't made for the decomp, it's a WIP third party launcher someone is creating in Game Maker Studio.

18. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Yeah I spoke with the person who is creating it.. its looking like a launcher for the games themselves.. but a neat idea though

EDIT: And unfortunately it’s been scrapped

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Maybe I'm dumb, but is there any way to run these in full screen?

And what are the chances that debug mode button mapping actually 'does' get fixed? I hate to lose a fundamental feature of the classic games due to a weird Sega Forever glitch.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes there is. There's a toggle for it in the settings.ini file and there's a keyboard shortcut that currently escapes me.