don't click here

Sonic 1, 2, and CD Remake Decompilation

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by jubbalub, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I am so freaking hyped imagining the new heights that modding will reach for Sonic 1 and 2 with these new ports in the future. I'm sure there will be lots of cool stuff.

2. James Smith

James Smith

Sonic CD is also going to have a huge surge of Mods now that its decompiled. I'm super happy with all of this and I hope Sega doesn't take these downs.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't think they will. Basically all of Unleashed was ported to Generations within 5 years of Unleashed's original release and they didn't care then.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Jeffery Mewtamer

Jeffery Mewtamer

Blind Bookworm Member
    Won't be able to play them regardless because blind, but has anyone had any luck making builds for Linux?

5. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    So, with a Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD disassembly, will we start seeing Retro Engine fan games? Even with custom gimmicks and characters? I cannot wait to see what people do with this!

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I finally started messing around with these. They seem nice so far but I was having weird stuck key issues with Sonic CD for some reason. (I also tried a little of Sonic 2, which was fine.) I also didn't see a way in the config to control US vs Japanese soundtrack. Is that something kept in the Steam path if I leave that as default? (EDIT: that's just in the in-game menu as a separate option from other config choices -- the only tragic thing is the option isn't checked before the title screen starts, unless that's something I would need the resource file from the android version for)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  7. For some reason, on Sonic 2, when I press 'X' (B) button, the game just pauses? I don't know if that happens only with me.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I did have that same issue. Using the default configuration settings. Only sonic 2 had that issue. I do believe enter still worked normal for pause.

9. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

It happened on Cybershell's stream of the game as well.

10. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    This is hard coded in some of the later RSDK's as a debug feature. As far as I know it can't really be fixed.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ugh ya it's very annoying as the X button also functions as the debug trigger, so every time you try to access debug it pauses.

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Surely we could get around this for the time being by using Steam or some other control remapper? Not ideal but it would work.

Can't wait to try these by the way, just waiting until more QoL stuff is ironed out to dive in. Extremely grateful though. I've had 0 luck with getting Bluestacks (or similar) or the Switch version of Android to play nice with me so this is definitely a treat.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    How??? We have the entire engine decompiled. We can change literally everything.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's what I thought. Surely there's a way to map the dev menu pause to like, R1 or RT or whatever, or Y.

15. I think I reseted / leaved the stage accidentally 5 times because of that.

16. I have no ways of testing it right now, but would xpadder or joy2key work for remapping?

17. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    So what's the way to actually do this? I have some older versions of the games on my older android devices from before the games went Free To Play and those devices are so old I think they'd die if they connected to the internet again... would I be able to get the necessary files off Blue Stacks if I connected my account that has the games on them on it? Those would be the most up to date paid versions.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It looks like the Ring King and Secret of Labyrinth Zone achievements are mixed up as I seem to have gotten the one when I should have gotten the other.

I also think I failed to get the Beat the Clock achievement when I should have, but I'm not going to bother with doing the math to see what my times are.

19. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I'd like to know this too - my phone isn't rooted or anything so I'm not sure if I can even grab the files directly from it, but I wouldn't mind downloading BlueStacks again if it meant I could use it to redownload the games through the Play Store and access the required files that way.

Wouldn't be the first time I've grabbed BlueStacks to do something with these games - back when I originally purchased them my phone was too outdated to actually run them, so I played them pretty much exclusively through BlueStacks anyway, haha! XD