don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Xilla

Xilla

Look who it is in the intro for Sky One's 1990s videogame show "Games World":

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I am lazy. Very lazy. I scanned one of the Sonic AWP fliers, but I have to rescan it because I am not satisfied with the scan's quality.

001.jpeg

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The first public showing of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was Summer CES 1992 (28-31 May). The Nick Arcade prototype.

[​IMG]

The second public showing was apparently the 1992 Tokyo Toy Show (4-7 June):

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:Famitsu_JP_0184.pdf&page=8

The same build. How do I know?

[​IMG]

Because that off-camera photo lines up with the demo. In the Simon Wai prototype, the 2-player demo is garbage because even though the layout has changed, the inputs are based on the Nick Arcade prototype, so Tails never gets here.

So +1 to the possible sources of our dump.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    New Sonic CD info from Mazin!
    • The Metal Sonic projectors are a remnant from an earlier plot in which the animals confused Sonic for an enemy and attacked him.
    • The unused samples were meant to loop the music. It was too difficult to get the timing down, so they just left the music unlooped.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Joe, any chance you could directly link to those relevant tweets? Having trouble finding them, especially through Google Translate. :V

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Omg the animals would have attacked you?

I kinda want to see that lol

7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Here's the Metal Sonic projector one. Having a bit of trouble finding the other one but I'll update this post as soon as I find it.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Awesome, thanks! :)

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The tweet about the projectors had been posted last year, but I don't think the confirmation about the looping samples was ever posted. They were long theorized to serve that purpose of course, but confirmation is always nice, as is official word on why they were scrapped.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  10. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Yeah I was gonna say, the info about the projectors and animals attacking isn't new.

11. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I think this is Mazin's tweet on the SNCBNK files. This may be of value, too, but the replies are detached here...

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, so they did try to fill the gap between loops but with different, longer patches than what's in the SNCBNKs?

13. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Speeps

Speeps

There's interesting stuff in there like Station Square and Emerald Coast being a recreation of CancĂșn's tourist area, with this being the hotel that inspired the Station Square one (In fact the chairs are set up the same way in the autodemo).

Also Sonic going back to his roots again

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

So it actually got stated at one point in time that the Classic to Modern change was mainly aesthetic for the sake of a new era.

And those CG images of Chaos attacking a police car...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sonic Retro before Sonic Retro: New Zealand Edition:

Sega Action (New Zealand)

[​IMG]
    Sonic 2 time travel! Neo Green Hill Zone!

[​IMG]
    Neo Green Hill Zone? Sorry, prototype. Here's "the mysterious Dust Hill Zone".

[​IMG]
    Dust Hill Zone? Sorry, Sonic CD. Here's "the real mysterious Dust Hill Zone".

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  17. Hmm, so the sonic rush proto is incredibly undocumented everywhere. I'm certainly not the one to fix everything up, but I noticed a few things.

>Sonic's animation for looking up matches the one from advance 3. It's obvious to see why. Dunno why they changed it though, imo it's better than the final.

>Sonic's animations for doing tricks are different. I really have no way to describe them, but I compared, and they are unique.

>Air dash and homing attack are mapped to jump like older games, and not R. This one caught me by surprise lol.

>I have no way to confirm this, but springs and boost don't mix too well. I noticed sonic's speed would suddenly snap and launch him a good bit, but on one occasion he literally went flying across the stage outrunning the camera. I couldn't replicate it.

>Sonic's up+R trick doesn't cancel your horizontal momentum. I missed several jumps because sonic kept flying forward when I thought he was gonna stop.

Also, I have two extra tidbits here that carried over into the final that I never noticed before until I screwed around a bit.

>Boosting apparently negates spike damage. Who knew?

>Just like in Advance 1 and 2, you can jump at the very tip of the rail for extra height. Sparkles come off of Sonic and the rainbow ring sound plays. I can honestly imagine how this has apparently flown under the radar for so long. Who (besides me) is gonna think to stop and try this? :D

• Informative Informative x 10
    • List
  18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    wait what? Rush uses 3D models, but Advance uses sprites

19. ...yeah. And his 3d model uses an animation matching the one from advance 3. :p

20. Double post :p

Installing Sonic Crackers on a 3ds as a virtual console title fixes all the crash bugs from console. Good to know.