don't click here

Paprium officially released

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Dec 24, 2020.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Ed: Wait is this an SoR hack/conversion or did they make this from scratch?

3. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    There's a serious lack of quality Genesis homebrews, so maybe this could be an incentive and inspiration? Sorry for the short post, really cool game!

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Made from scratch.

The game had some controversy around it. Here is a documentary about it:

5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    2020 is truly a bizarre year.
    Paprium, of all games, actually released and is the real deal !

Soundtrack is dope though, made by Groovemaster 303 who worked on Streets of Rage Remake and Jredd.

6. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    I'm curious to how it actually plays myself. It looks and sound great, but I dunno....the combat looks a bit "off" to me.

7. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I haven't kept up with news on this game. Now that it's out, is the seemingly impossible transparency effect from that old trailer still in it? And if so, do we know how they accomplished it?

8. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    My copy's been stuck in France for two weeks, and I'm guessing I won't be seeing it until the new year now. But when I do... Oh boy, will I will be doing a deep dive.

From eyeballing it, yes you're right. The mechanics don't look very inspiring. There's some really off hitbox stuff going on, and some really offputting low frame count animation for certain moves. It's pretty clear to me that it lacks the flow that separates an average beat 'em up from a good or a great one.... But I guess you never know for sure until you play it.

9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Pre-ordered this way back in March 2017 and it finally showed up at my door yesterday. Been enjoying it so far.

Can't wait for the inevitable hacks of SOR2 or 3 with Paprium assets.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    What I'll be looking forward to is how emulation will take hold of this. This uses some extra chips, like Super FX and SVP. How will Everdrive and Terraonion get this working?

As much as I want to support the continuation of homebrew, you can't charge $170 for a cartridge and expect it to sell well. Put out a Steam version, like Tanglewood and Xeno Crisis. Include a ROM file, and let people play on original hardware if they want.

11. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
  12. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Well my copy has finally turned up, and just looking at how "sealed" the packaging is, I'm all but tempted to flip it for a profit, rather than play it and be hideously disappointed.

Edit: Opened it, plug it in, doesn't work in a Japanese Model 1 No-TMSS VA5.

Tried every troubleshooting option Sega 16 forums have come up with, Mega CD attached with power off/on, with a 32X, without a 32X, nothing, just hangs on it's anti-TMSS copyright screen.

On the bright side, it works on my Nomad, so I can enjoy it on a terrible screen for all of 5 seconds before the battery runs out.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've read reports of some graphics not showing up on the Nomad, such as the "Toasty" style announcer.

14. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Hmm, I'll have to check. Not that any of it matters any more, I ended up sourcing an earlier revision. I now have a Japanese VA1, and it works absolutely fine on that.

Through discussions on the Sega-16 Discord, and a post on the forum where Mask of Destiny developed a ROM to document various "quirks" of MD revisions, it appears that the reason Paprium doesn't work on a VA5 might be that the routine to check what Mega Drive it's running on THINKS it's a VA6. They both output the same hex value from the version register.

VA5 and 6 use an identical motherboard, with the only difference being the chip in position IC4. The chip is functionally identical aside from the VA5's 315-5402 doesn't have TMSS, whilst the VA6's 315-5433 does.

When the routine then tries to gather info from the TMSS, which isn't IN the VA5, the game hardlocks.

Mask of Destiny's version/quirk checker did exactly the same thing on a VA5 until they provided a version that didn't poll the TMSS.

Why any game would need to poll the TMSS registers at all once it's passed the check and the game's code is running, who bloody knows. maybe Fonzie was trying to be clever and attempting to gatekeep the game from running on clone systems.

Why the VA6 only actually runs if the expansion port is terminated appears to be a separate quirk of these later model one revisions, it was something that effected the 32X, too, hence the little doodad to replace the regular cover if you didn't have a Mega CD. Apparently to get Paprium running on the VA6 it's as simple as plugging in one of those or having a Mega CD attached to get the game to work.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Makes me wonder if they just broke something when adding the Mega CD 2 easter egg.

It also doesn't work properly on a Mega SG, but that may be Analogue's fault.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    From everything I've read about this guy, this is probably spot-on. Trying to be clever means he's fucked up, with legitimate systems that the game won't run on as a result. Great job he's done there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Interestingly, this is actually a regional difference! The game detects your console region and adds some additional items for Japanese consoles (or Japanese special edition cartridges which are hardwired to run in JP mode), the toasty-style Showtime popup is one of those.

The game does have some extremely comprehensive detection code. It can detect your specific console revision, Sega CD version, and presence of a 32X. It actually will run on some clone systems and even seems to know that it is-- and will promptly display your console configuration on the sound test as a pile of poop. Classy.

To make things about this game even worse/better, there are actual hidden areas in the game that are direct tributes to other Genesis/MD brawlers, including ripped graphics. Fonzie is absolutely insane to take that risk, and I kind of hope that Sega notices and gives him a reality check.

Shameless plug: I am the author of Paprium: The Unofficial, Incomplete Guide, which is an effort to document all the weird stuff in this game (as well as eventually provide a proper walkthrough). Several of us are digging deep into the game to find things and new discoveries have been being made on a very regular basis.

18. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    I can't decide whether all the insanity this game comes with is hilarious or really annoying, cuz it does look like it would be cool to play if it was possible to get a copy.

19. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Honestly, it is a fun game. I am really enjoying it! And the music is just fantastic. The stellar presentation does carry it a lot -- it's not as deep as some other games in the genre, but I think it is solid enough to have a good time.
    But the controversy surrounding it? If I'd known before I preordered I probably wouldn't have bothered. But I based my preorder on the previous record of Watermelon delivering Pier Solar, which I had also bought. I didn't realize things would spiral out of control.

20. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Why not hook the Nomad up to your TV with a Genesis model 2 composite AV cable? And plug in an AC adapter instead of trying to use the battery.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021