don't click here

Sonic 2: But Tails is Insufferable Edition (A.K.A. Tails Stole the Camera on Genesis)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Alex Field, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Remember that one mod for Sonic Mania called Tails Stole the Camera, where the camera only focuses on Tails at ALL times? Well, imagine that, but it's for Sonic 2 instead.

Sonic 2: But Tails is Insufferable Edition is a challenge hack by me that makes it so that the camera will follow Tails AND only Tails; the name came about while testing as it really does make Tails insufferable, and, additionally, not even Wing Fortress and Death Egg are safe from him; this also practically makes all of character choices useless since there's no second player.

Despite all of this, the general goal is the same, get to the end without dying; it's just that you're basically handicapped the entire journey (aside from Sky Chase, since the camera is fixed anyways).

Aside from that, it's Sonic 2, bugs and all.
    Picture 1.png
    Picture of Wing Fortress Zone, showing the camera focusing on Tails.

Attached Files:

2. Hotfix; found out in Razor & Zenon's playthrough that Tails can't jump off the vines in MCZ, so I fixed that; I also removed Sky Chase and Wing Fortress from normal play since they're nearly unchanged/impossible to play (although they can still be accessed from the level select).

Attached Files:

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    This is infuriating and I love it. Thanks for making this. If I lose all of my hair from playing this for too long, I'll hold you personally responsible. :P

4. Zud

Zud

You likely already know this, but you're a sadist. If making me rage quit was you goal, you have won.

5. You ARE allowed to use the second controller, kay?

6. Zud

Zud

That changes everything in that case, and it adds a new dynamic, especially in 2-player games if you have a second player who is good.

7. ProjectFM

ProjectFM

Orono, Maine
    Sonic Next Genesis
    I played this for about two minutes and encountered two significant issues.

1. When Tails takes Sonic off screen while Sonic is standing on an object, the object despawns without resetting Sonic to not be standing on it, resulting in Sonic being in a state where he walks in the air and through the ground.

2. I got softlocked here. Tails continuously bounces off the yellow sideways spring, then falls back down the slope. I could use the second controller to get Tails up the slope, but I think that takes away from the challenge if you have to use the second controller anyway, and it's just inconvenient for those who don't have the second controller mapped to any keys/buttons.
    s2built000.png