don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    So, that’s a thing

I’m a bit disappointed because it turns out that’s the reason why Sonic Adventure is trending on twitter :p
    But it’s a very cool reference nonetheless.

3. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Hey so I saw someone on reddit talking about this:

It has the long spring from that one magazine screenshot and a different animation for the GHZ boss. Was this video know about before? It has the final RINGS hud and what appears to be the final labyrinth background. A few people think that the different animations were added in for the advertisement.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This one perchance?
    [​IMG]

That came from a French television advertisement. The one you've just posted :)

5. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Ahh oh well, should have looked into it more I guess.

6. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Also aired in spanish, btw, I was there to watch it.

8. KobaBeach

KobaBeach

kickin dirt like a hell raiser Member
    That extended coil is such a silly special effect but I love it. Really puts the "fuck you" aura of that spring in full display.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. MH MD

MH MD

Korone streaming sonic 1, what's the significance of this? she is just great streamer to watch, may as well put it here

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I hadn't realised this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The orbinaut (or uni-uni) Badniks (the ones where the spikes just spin around), have different colour schemes between the 16-bit and 8-bit versions of Sonic 1, not just in the sprites themselves, but in the artwork in the manual. They're the only ones that differ in colour (although the Bomb design is different betwen the two versions too).

[​IMG]

Real life sea urchins come in many different colours, but the most popular seems to be pinky purple. But there are a lot of pink (and red) enemies in Sonic 1 - it could be that they changed the colour late in the day on the Mega Drive for a bit more variety. Or maybe they were always different.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Came across this in my internet travels:

[​IMG]

Deadline is an old British comic aimed at... well... not kids. It was the home of Tank Girl between 1988 and 1995:

[​IMG]

They made it into a film once. Margot Robbie is set to turn up in a reboot.

I don't know what Sonic content lies in issue 50, but the connection alone is the sort of thing Sega might want you to forget.

12. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

God I feel like an idiot just realizing that if the 3'3" height for Classic Sonic I've seen from Googling is correct, then converting blocks/tiles from Genesis games for 3D games and the like that use a real world scale is incredibly easy, since Sonic's standing sprite in Sonic 1 is 39 pixels - which would give a translation of exactly 1 pixel per inch (vertically at least?)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Seeing Jamie Hewlett and Sonic in the same breath is the weirdest crossing of my worlds. :psyduck:

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, it wouldn't be that hard if you round it up to 40 pixels and make calculations in multiples of 8 (Sonic is 5 units, a block is 16/32 units depending on wich game you choose). Similarly, you can round Sonic's width up to 32 (not that bad since his height already got a bit upped) and you get a size of 5x4 units for him.

Sounds interesting anyway; maybe they chose that scale of 1 inch per pixel after drawing the sprites and got his height that way.

15. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Japan uses metric though.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Isn't Sonic 3'3" because that translates to almost exactly 1 meter? I thought that was the reason he's that height.

17. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    In S1RL I did 1m = 40 pixels precisely because Sonic is about 1m and 40 pixels tall.

(then I probably reduced it to 1m = 32 pixels because it's easier to calculate, it's been years I don't remember)

18. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Not to derail this topic, but it was an incredible realization to me because I liked making Sonic levels and stuff in games like Garry's Mod, and am working on making levels/level assets for Microsoft Flight Simulator [2020], and am a stickler for detail... especially when it came to proportions.

Now, if only I could get an answer on whether the MSFS SDK allows me to make objects that shoot projectiles.

Drat, that means that if I wanted to go back to gmod map making attempts, it'll be a pain in the ass since hammer units start at 1 unit = 1.5".

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    In Sonic Adventure (and SA2 and Heroes), Sonic is roughly 10 units tall, so given his official height of 1m, 1 unit = 0.1m.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Both colour versions appear in the 16bit version: red in Labyrinth Zone, Green / yellow in Starlight Zone