don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (Prototype)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Jan 1, 2021.

1. SEGACast

SEGACast

This is absolutely AMAZING!!!

HUGE thanks to drx, Buckaroo and everyone else involved in this release!!

I wonder what lies within the ROM's data?

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Whoa.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Here, let me participate in this historic moment:

It's just a quick video but I didn't want to be late as usual. A follow-up might follow eventually.

Happy 2021 everyone!

4. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    I'm super happy to see that we finally have a Sonic 1 proto. I haven't had an interest as strong as many here, but this is an absolute treat.

Also a good thing to see that we got it uncompromised in spite of /ppg/'s report of it existing.

5. First, DRX, Buckaroo, you've made the end of 2020 and/or the start of 2021 something special. Thank you so much for your dedication to the cause and getting this out there.

Second, this kid on YouTube (found if you search today's posts for "Sonic The Hedgehog Prototype") is literally all of us right now, and it makes me happy to see a younger generation this hype about this event:

"2021 is gonna be the best year... it already is the best year... of my life!... [contented sigh]"

6. Apslup

Apslup

Feelin' Fine. Member
    I never thought we would see a Sonic 1 prototype after all these years. But with CENSOR Sonic 2 and the Sonic 3 Proto I guess it was a matter of time. I can't believe how different it is compared to the final with how close this build was from the final release (though Sonic 3's differences are even more jarring).

Now I'm praying that we somehow uncover a Saturn Sonic Adventure 1 prototype, though a Tokyo Toy Show 1990 Sonic 1 build will also be massive, though that is likely never going to happen.

7. Apslup

Apslup

Feelin' Fine. Member
    I just checked /sthg/ on 4chan and there isn't much discussion going on over there which really surprised me since this is such a momentous event. Just the usual degeneracy.

8. This looks like the build from nick arcade... does anyone know for sure?

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Ladies and gentlemen... START YOUR DISASSEMBLERS!

10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    You know what's really weird? I was going to post audio rips I made of @Clownacy's "Sonic 1 with prototype drums" hack on YouTube, mainly because no else did so earlier. I got to one to close out 2020 (Green Hill Zone's music)... and the same day I posted that video, this comes out.

What an uncanny coincidence. Still, what a lovely find!

11. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Holy shit. I don't even know what to say.

12. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Allow me to indulge and embarrass myself by sharing my very first forum post ever. 16 years later and I finally got what I wanted. I hope I'm not quite that dumb anymore. :P

13. So I was playing through Sparkling act 1 and I didn't get an extra life at 200 rings. I got one at 50, 100, and 150 though... so I don't know what's up with that. Has that been documented?

14. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Yeah, when I returned to the forum after a decade of being away when the S3 proto was revealed last year, I recalled how I made so many stupid posts when I first joined.

15. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 38
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Turbohog

Turbohog

I knew he wouldn't be upset. Really glad he got to see it. I would LOVE to hear some of his thoughts and memories about this stage of Sonic 1's development.

17. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Warms my heart to see that. Really fantastic find overall, I was dumbfounded when I flipped over to the stream and saw Sparkling Zone in all of its glory. Hopefully they're some juicy innards others can find stuffed in here.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    As I said in the stream topic I really was not expecting this. I even jokingly said that it'll be a Sonic 1 SMS prototype in live chat. :V (Still that would have been amazing too!) Thank you all again for making this become a reality! I can't wait to read about the backstory of obtaining the prototype, I wonder if this is the prototype that was being held by some guy's father and the two weren't on speaking terms. Guess we'll find out eventually! Definitely looking forward to seeing a split disassembly of this prototype, I bet one is already in the works. :)

19. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    This is probably the most surprising "Christmas present" I've ever witnessed. This makes me happy. No other way to put it.

20. What a brilliant way to begin the new year!