don't click here

Sonic prototype stream

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Dec 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flygon

Flygon

This is incredible. This should be impossible.

It's almost incomprehensible that this has actually happened.

Thank you!

2. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I missed the stream as I was at work (and didn't know about it), but... this is amazing to see myself get off work to this! Thank you all for this AMAZING achievement!

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I'd like to point out that the "dark GHZ palette" was very clearly meant for a different tileset and has an incompatible structure (some mountains miscolored, miscolored grass on the rocks, etc).

This is just speculation, but I think there's a good chance that the sky and water may have used other palette indices that were blue, rather than the plain black color seen in the video. For all we know, this could be the palette of the 1990 Tokyo Toy Show demo's GHZ, or some derivative of it. Maybe everything really was that dark all along?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That's what I was thinking! It immediately stuck out as Tokyo Toy Show-esque for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    Just putting this up for reference: The prototype only includes objects up to $5E. This doesn't include objects from Labyrinth Zone other than the badniks - they seem to have backfilled those slots later on. Bomb, Caterkiller, and Orbinaut don't even exist as sprites at this point. A few slots that are blank in the final version have objects coded in this version:
    • $10 is the animation test.
    • $19 is the checkered ball
    • $4F is Splats.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • List
  6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Think there's enough material for say, Sonic 1 Delta now?

7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Need to get my thank you's in while everyone is coming out of hiding to celebrate this insane find :V

Thank you drx, Buckaroo, everyone!! Really neat stuff, I can't believe we got 3 of the coolest finds in Sonic prototype history all within one (otherwise cursed) year. You guys really work with some kinda dark magic, huh? :eng101:

Couple thoughts:

The background layers in Sparkling Zone look so cool. I definitely prefer the mountains being there in the final, but I wonder why they dropped a lot of the other background elements?

The GHZ ball is SO wonky, it looks like if it rolls you into a spike pit you're basically screwed lol

The "Warp Ring" thing has me REALLY curious. Can this be linked to some kind of cut feature? Or maybe it really is just a special stage warp ring...

Oh, and I'm glad they dropped the "barrel" gimmick in Marble Zone

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
  8. MrLordSith

MrLordSith

Definitely, yes. I've now restarted Sonic 1 Delta to prepare for all the new material that's been found. I will be starting over and aim for more accuracy while also adding concept art features.

9. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    It's as incredible as I hoped.

+ - sads: ...and I have so much swirling in my head regarding this that I can't put properly in to words. Like...It's an end of an era and will be massive closure for almost everyone who ever spent time in the scene pondering about what could've been. It makes me depressed knowing that not every person the community fostered along the way will get a chance to see it for one reason or another.  

Edit: This was intended for the S1 proto thread, whoops.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Timezones being what they are, I was actually sleeping during this whole stream.. so imagine waking up to this :V

The motherfucking Sonic 1 prototype is finally ours, after all these years. The hunt for this thing began before I was even born, and at last...we have it.
    I'm speechless. Just...good fucking job.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.