don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    If that's all there is to it, then it's possible that all they have to actually do is scrap the idea of actively not including Super Emeralds/Hyper Sonic and see how that is resonating with the fans. A plot that builds around just that, the lore they were originally establishing, could be really it. Gameplay would have to be incredibly difficult to master, but once you gain the ability to turn hyper (and have 50 rings) it would basically let you skip the whole level (because he's that op), so that even less skilled players can make it to the credits. Similar to the Super Guide from New Super Mario Bros. or the P-Wing from Super Mario 3D Land.

2. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

The Sonic Youtube account posted the demo versions of:
    Mission Street:

Radical Highway:

City Escape:

Metal Harbor:

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well I'm glad someone liked and agreed with the above post, because I sure don't know what it means!

While it's nice that they care, the problem with demo tracks out of context is that... there's no context. I would expect every video game song ever written to be made up of fewer and/or crappier instruments when it isn't finished - it's just the natural process of composing music.

Whereas that Sonic 3 build from last year can be roughly dated, so from the music, we know which stages were being prioritised during development and what order things were finished. e.g. Sky Sancturary sounds like arse which suggests they weren't pushing to get the stage into Sonic 3 part 1.

p.s. aren't those Sonic Adventure 2 Battle screenshots

4. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Oh, man.

In the ever unlikely event that these get a release whether through CD, digital or a Data Discs style vinyl release. I would be all over these like a rash.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  6. Tanks

Tanks

Someone in a discord I'm in posted a link to this Archive of Minds Eye videos, a trippy series of Dolby demos featuring early 3D animation and soundscapes. "The Gate to the Mind's Eye" (the 1994 addition to the series) features two flying-car chase sequences which display some Sonic and Sega references.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  8. Tanks

Tanks

DAAAAAANG. That's some niche knowledge there. Very interesting they were able to feature the footage in Mind's Eye of all things. I didn't check the credits but it would be interesting to see if Sega is mentioned.

9. I took a quick look at this, and it appears to be the exact same demo as the one that has been available on sites like FilePlanet since the game's release. There's a Demo B as well, but I haven't been able to find a download for it, besides this Wayback Machine capture which is less than half the size it should be (28.6 MB instead of 69.2 MB).

On that note, is mirroring demo versions of PC games in scope for Sega Retro/Retro CDN? I see that we already have demos for Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles Collection, but some of the later demos can get quite large.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I recall playing both SADX demos back in the day. Demo B included sample stages for Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, while demo A had one for each of all six characters. I'm pretty sure demo B was released first, so it's possible it's based on an older build.

I don't have demo B anymore, but I still have some of the installed files burned in an old CD. Sadly they seem to be incomplete -- no "system" folder for some reason, so it can't be played. Still, I can upload them if anyone's interested.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Overlord probably has both.

I lost absolutely everything years ago, but yeah, there were two demos. Are they really not on the wiki?

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The demo should work just fine with the files from the full game, I think.

13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Already tried that, no go. Although it may work with the other demo's files (haven't bothered trying, as I didn't have it installed).

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yes

Retro CDN will crap out at something like 500MB but I would expect most demos to be much smaller. And then we want each one documented and yeah.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I did wonder if I have and I've just looked this up now:

upload_2020-12-24_21-12-23.png

Yup. =P However I'm having problems uploading them: straight EXEs don't work and I tried the smaller one inside a RAR and a ZIP on the Sonic Retro wiki and it crapped out. Little help?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, cool, done:

https://retrocdn.net/File:Sadx_trial_a.7z
    https://retrocdn.net/File:Sadx_trial_b.7z

I've only put minimal data down as I don't know all that much about these. For the date it asked for I've used the Windows timestamps - this at least will be roughly when the things came out, feel free to edit them. Important thing is the files are safe and distributed, I had no idea I seemingly was the last one left with an untouched Demo B.

18. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    Am I the only one who thinks that Sonic Underground is under rated? I'd love a new comic series or something, at least some fan recognition. Are there any Sonic Underground fans in the forums that can come out of the cracks and into the spotlight? What is the general consensus on Underground here? I tried looking it up on youtube, and I recommend you don't search Sonic Underground. There's some guy who makes some cringe worthy stuff, and some is less... tame... than others. That's why I'm here, asking for some sense of the status of Underground here at Retro. Any good fan works, fan games, or fan comics to check out?

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The only fan recognition Underground ever had in the community as a whole was about...two fan sites. Maybe three.

The Underground universe did make a true cameo in the Archie comics and Sonic Universe #50 was supposed to be an ending for the show before the Penders lawsuits came about and Archie rushed through a MegaMan crossover to soft reboot the comic as a whole leading to the Underground issue's cancellation.

Today with the way Sega mandates things there is no way it's ever going to be brought up again.

Maybe someone can get an interview with Ian or something, or maybe Tyson can shed some light if he was there by that point.

20. MagnusTheGreen

MagnusTheGreen

Stop Calling Me Moonlight Member
    I heard Sonic Universe Online will do an Underground finale (Swan Song), is that true? I know it's unofficial but it's the best we got. It says it was supposed to come out august last year. Would someone be kind enough to check that out? Is it still coming out? I hope so, just binged the show, and the cliffhanger ending is killing me!
    http://archiesoniconline.com/?comic=coming-soon-sonic-universe-online-50
    Also, where are those fan sites? Are they still up? Screw Penders.