don't click here

Rare Sonic Art (And restoring it)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JackSkellinghog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    It's a figure (or a physical model I guess you could say).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't know much about them, but I think they might have been used as reference for Sonic's design. I believe this was used as the direct reference for the Sonic CD title screen model.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Right! The figure used for the SCD title screen that was posted a while back. Thanks jogging my memory.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I know I've seen it before. Whether it was this same picture or the full one, I don't remember.

4. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    It looks Ohshima-esque because of the fangs. I think I saw it before.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's not a bag, it's the Blue Gale jacket from the Mary Garnet origin story for when they were making Sonic 3.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I talked about it with Ohshima some years ago when he reached out to ask about stuff from my collection.

So I took the opportunity to ask him about it since I knew fans were going to be curious about it.

When I asked him if he drew the emblem/plane nose art he said:

Not sure where that fansite got that pic. I imagine it has to be something Sonic Team posted since the jacket and one of the figures they made for Sonic CD are there.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So... did anyone happen to save that higher resolution PNG? The linked wiki is gone and all I can find are low-res and JPGs.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  7. MBeca

MBeca

Hope this helps, tried to compile all assets I could find related to X-treme a while ago and I did find out a higher quality version of the Sonic Pool title screen. https://mega.nz/folder/o2pXVLqA#H33n2mC1v39OG9g_gtSrtw 4e20cca2-7371-45fc-8366-0659a6c4dbbf.jpeg

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

It's always great that members of the community collect and preserve various stuff about the franchise as best as you all can.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. Pengi

Pengi

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. RDNexus

RDNexus

Never saw those before.
    The good old days of great 2D arts.

11. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Those shoes...

12. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
  13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    There is it, thanks! So the original pic was a JPG?

Any clues on where did that title screen come from? It didn't come with the in-game screenshots, I know because I was sent the original ZIP back in the day and it definitely wasn't there.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  14. MBeca

MBeca

15. MBeca

MBeca

Unrelated, but I found this JP ad for Sonic 1 in my files. I think I got it from a japanese bid listing? Dunno if it's already known 20210309_152715.jpg

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    We discussed this on Discord, but I'll post it here for the sake of being somewhat easier to find:

[16:52] Overlord: http://sonic.sega.jp/20th/topics/index.html
    [16:52] Overlord: 8BIT MANIACS under the second section
    [16:53] Overlord: There ARE no bigger images

Might have been an addon for this service: http://pr.8bm.jp/

17. Pengi

Pengi

Waitaminute. The one on the left is different, the eyes have white highlights. This merits further investigation.

There are more scans here: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/sega-of-japans-sonic-the-hedgehog-flyer.14970/

It's a flyer that folds out into a double page spread, then folds out again into a 4 page spread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  18. Scanned a couple of items I had (Mug and tee shirt). Anyone seen these elsewhere?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. I see that mug on my ebay feed alot, as I once upon a time purchased a different mug that I suppose I can provide a photo of later.

20191028_130450.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  20. I meant as far as the images. I got the mug in a clearance bin at Gamestop. I grabbed it solely on the images depicted on the box, as I've never seen them before.