don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's minor differences on the fronts too, to wind up the collectors no doubt.

The good news is the Game Gear console box didn't change. The bad news is its contents did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm struggling to find an "HGG-3200" unit, though the box and original manual were seemingly created for one. Retro doesn't cope well with hardware variants.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

HGG-3200 should be the code for the whole package, including the Game Gear console (HGG-3210), accesories, packaging etc. They run through HGG-3224 (Kids Gear package), which has Kids Gear console (HGG-3223), so it's a bit confusing, especially when the box will also have it's own code.

I think apart from Kids Gear the other Game Gear hardware is all "HGG-3210" followed by "SMOKE" / "RED" / "RAY" etc.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Dumb question: do we know if there are any boot ROM variants for newer, disc-based arcade hardware? Thinking NAOMI, NAOMI 2, Atomiswave, Hikaru, etc.

I only have one boot ROM file for each, and that strikes me as highly incomplete.

Edit: found https://www.sega-naomi.eu/bios-list/, which answers some of these questions for NAOMI/2. Still no idea on other hardware.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  6. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Recent news got me updating things, because I suppose it makes sense to tackle Sega's game centers when they're not likely to be opening new ones.

So here we go:
    Club Sega
    GiGO
    Hi-Tech Land Sega
    Hi-Tech Sega
    Sega Arena
    Sega World (Japan)
    Sega (game centers)

It's (partially) automated now. The wiki doesn't know how to cope with "xxxx" so it's erroneously listing some venues as closed until someone adds some dates.

The great news is that Sega's website won't let me search for any venues that might be missing. It's almost as if they're about to give up majority ownership.

And these are just the arcades that can be found. There's plenty more that can't:

Todo/Venues

I forced myself to become an "expert" in this topic, and I'm an English speaker at the other side of the world. If Sega do back away from this in a few weeks time, it's going to be even more difficult to keep a record. So do jump in and finish this.

8. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

Going back to this: Ed Lomas recently posted some more Reddit comments about his time on CVG and ODM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogamin..._i_just_found_this_sub_and_its_bringing_back/

In this post he says a bit about the Yuji Naka interview from ODM#14, where he talked about Air NiGHTS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogamin...found_this_sub_and_its_bringing_back/g79lsda/

I care!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Does anyone have any information on this?
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php?id=845&page=1#2853
    ccd.jpg

This page lists it as "CCD" with speculation of it being some kind of video/virtual reality bumper car attraction. Unlike most of the other attractions listed on this page, like Power Sled, Cyber Dome and Sega Super Circuit, there seems to be no further information for this one anywhere else online. "Sega Mechatronics CCD" brings up no results, and neither does a reverse image search. The picture itself doesn't look like a shot of "CCD" operating at a game center, but rather a promotional shot from a catalog. Was this something that never made it past a prototype? It's incredibly fascinating to me, and I would love to know more about it.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    CCD Cart

It did exist, but we haven't got any decent photographs. Early 90s medium scale attractions aren't covered very well because... well see my post above.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Went digging through some Wayback Machine archives.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It's a forgotten art.

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    We'd need an army to fetch all the store images for every Sega game. PlayStation, Xbox, Steam + all regions + variants.

Godspeed, general Jax.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I've been wanting to do this for a while, it's why the Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls page looks such a mess with all those different region DLC icons that I uploaded.

Also Yakuza 7's Day Ichi version came with a DLC code and I forgot to save the picture. Going to my downloads didn't show it or the free DLC I downloaded.

As for something like Steam, we missed all Sega 60th banners all their games had (mostly because I forgot) because I was focused on getting everything for the limited titles.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sega Retro: Answering questions nobody asked since 2010

Sponsorships/Football/JEF United Ichihara

Yesterday I found myself trawling through Japanese auction sites for old football trading cards. It's to add to the collection of other football-related things we don't cover very well, including the 48230948320 iterations of WCCF and Football Manager.

The Sonic on the logo was originally drawn by Naoto Oshima. What I hadn't realised is that it didn't get coloured in until the start of the 1993 season, and that it was in use until the end of 1996.

[​IMG]

And I can't tell if this is worse - documenting issues of Roy of the Rovers which had Sega as a sponsor. I'd blame lockdown but let's be honest, I'd be going on weird tangents even in normal times.

Fun fact: this series pretty much ended when title star Roy Race was injured in a helicopter crash and had his right leg amputated. For the kids!

16. Pengi

Pengi

Muto also did the Pro Yakyuu GG League '94 box art: https://twitter.com/ekaki_samu/status/1327417546241261569

17. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

That reminds me of something I came across once;

[​IMG]

I have no idea how long they advertised for.

18. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Old bump, here Dreamcast magazine visits one of Asahi Electronics Dreamcast factories. They say they've been Sega's manufacturer since the SG-1000 in 1983, also including SG-1000 II, Mark III, Master System, Mega Drive, Mega Drive 2, and Saturn.

I'm not so sure that Tama Pack is the Thai manufacturer, they were a packaging company, maybe they made the boxes. This guy's Linked in shows this;

Which suggests to me that OEM "2" was "Asahi Electronics (Thailand)".

19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    sooooo the Genesis was originally planned to have VR apparently?

oh and some preservationists patched a ROM to run in modern headsets. amazing :o

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.