don't click here

GO SEGA 60th Anniversary Limited Time Steam Games

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by JaxTH, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    So not to be "that guy" but I doubt the executive who thought "Hey, this would be cute to include in our anniversary event. Let's give it a self aware title that makes fun of the fact that it's going to be glitchy because it's just a prototype because doing that with bad Sonic games on the Sonic twitter has done lovely." intended to bring back painful old memories.

I don't think the person who decided to release this was thinking about any of that stuff you mentioned, hell that might not have been part of the company or even known about it. Y'all are thinking too deep into this.

2. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Really nothing said changes anything I said. If you want to complain about working conditions in the game industry in general, that is valid as yes "crunch" hours are common in gamedev, but attacking Sega in particular over an 8 year old project they released out of the goodness of their hearts that was previously shitcanned is far from a personal attack. Also interesting look to be beating the drum of empathy while calling their lead incompetent with presumably nothing to go on aside from a salty twitter rant.

3. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I was referring to Piranha calling the guy salty as having no empathy while bootlicking Sega. The people who released this game not giving a shit about the people who made it doesn't surprise me.

4. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I mean you're salty too if it makes you feel better

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    You guys really argue about the stupidest things.

6. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    He started it. :specialed:

I mean back on topic I am super excited for the janky prototype, but far more excited for the SoR hack. Gotta get me some 16 bit RGG action. Also the Japanese version of this event had a bit of a Segata Sanshiro revival through his son (both the character and the actor's son).

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
  8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Of note, the steam releases of Genesis games from experience always include the uncompressed ROMs in the files, which is good because the Classics emulator is awful.

9. The Guv'nor

The Guv'nor

Local Game Enjoyer Member
    Out of curiosity, has anyone else's Steam library had a number of their SEGA games just rid of the GO SEGA borders (the only exception in my case is the Mega Drive Classics because I'm using the pseudo-GIFs they released for the sale)?
    GO SEGA borders.JPG

10. MH MD

MH MD

streets of Kamorucho is out, it's like 30 MB and i think just one level

11. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    Yeah, Bare Kamurocho is a score attack loop of Streets of Rage 2 stage 1, and all three playable characters are Axel reskins.

12. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Unlocked the secret character in Streets of Kamurocho....

Nice to play as Ichiban in a game with a good combat system :P

13. farmerbb

farmerbb

Noticed a few familiar names in the credits for Streets of Kamurocho: (this is in the special thanks section for Empty Clip Studios)

Screenshot_20201017-212520.png

And also, just below that:

Screenshot_20201017-212534.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Does it just continue until you get bored or is there an end?

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I genuinely wonder if Sega would even know they were 60 if it wasn't for us.

Ignoring the fact that they're not. Kinda. It's a bit messy.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In other limited time Sega anniversary news:

Go Sega Icon Present Campaign

Over the summer, Sega's Japanese arm made a fuss over some Go Sega Twitter icons. They made 424 of them... before taking them all down earlier this month, never to be seen again. Except no, the Wayback Machine exists.

These are almost certainly useless, but it's a good indicator of how much of the company's history is documented on Sega Retro (spoilers: pretty much all of it). I haven't translated everything - I can only apologise for not being able to name all the JRPG anime girls.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I highly prefer the original over Endless Zone, but man, the appreciation for the classics has no end, it seems.

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nice to see those familiar names in the credits there - and Sega Retro specifically as well!

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    If Sega had just waited until 2021 they could be celebrating their actual 75th Anniversary.

Nice of senpai to notice us, though.

20. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Golden Axed seemed to have a kind of fun core but I mean they end it right before what looks like a first fight. Not even sure what the fuss was about if that was all that was done. My thoughts before realizing how disappointingly short it was were that the mechanics were fun but the combat was easy, and yes there was one door that was more difficult to get through than it should have been, which is a bug I would not overlook if it were not free. Still, of what was there the enemy deaths were satisfying. Shame the guy gloating at you in the short gauntlet fight wasn't even implemented, assuming that is as far as the content goes.

They did have the beginnings of something good, and I say this as someone with no nostalgia for the original, but, of course, the janky adjective is deserved in is current state and the severity of the unfinishedness makes the twitter drama that much more annoying. Oh well.

I was never good at Defender or Fantasy Zone, but I do rather enjoy Endless Zone, and I am horrible at it. I like that it is more than one level. I am wondering if this is a cut Yakuza minigame or what the idea here was. In general this week it feels as though Sega went and did a game jam. I know this isn't the case but that is for the most part (emphasis on most part) the quality we are seeing and it is pretty fun.

(Sega should do/host a jam. lol)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020