don't click here

Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Unrelated to Saturn, but I sent them a message on Twitter about a week ago asking about the whereabouts of the Dreamcast controller that was announced for Q4 2019. No response.

Sigh.

I hope that comes out. Has six face buttons, an improved analog stick and the Genesis/Saturn d-pad. If they made a dual analog variant that'd be my go-to for all Sega games lmao.

2. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    You simply cannot trust the RetroBit deadlines. They never hit them. They were saying the bluetooth Saturn and Gen dongles would be out by end of the year.. And while we have a few more days left, I very much doubt they'll be out before Jan 1st.

3. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They're teasing the Dreamcast controllers.

6-button layout, extra buttons mirror L/R. New analog stick, D-Pad, and repositioned triggers.

I don't know how I feel about this. The appeal of the Genesis/Saturn models were their authenticity compared to the original run. This feels like a new take entirely on a controller I have few qualms with, mainly because nostalgia. I may pick up one though, depending on the quality.

5. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Probably making it with the DC Street Fighter and VS games in mind to be honest.

The DC has the definitive version of Super Street Fighter 2 X on it afterall!

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    [​IMG]
    Yikes, I hope that's not the final layout of the 6 face buttons.

Mad Catz 6-button controller, for reference:
    [​IMG]

7. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    I'm still waiting for the dual analog version of the Saturn/Genesis controllers, which has been AWOL for the past year. I've been holding out for the past half a year, but it's tempting to snag one of the 2.4 GHz wireless ones for my Saturn/PC, and grab the analog version later for my PC.

In regards to the DC controller, I'm a bit surprised they haven't given an option between the original and the redesigned version.

8. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    My USB Saturn pad bit the dust when I was playing through the SoR games on Twitch earlier. D-Pad started feeling spongy and then the Right input stopped working.

Shame cos it was a very nice thing whilst it lasted (longer than some of the reviews on Amazon anyway), has there been any similar issues happening with the Megadrive USB pad? I got the console one a while back and it's been working nicely.

9. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    Mad Catz 6-button controller, for reference:
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Oh god do I have PTSD from this controller. I don't know what it was about it, but the damn thing would always slice my fingers open after extended sessions

10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Surely, the wisest move would have been to release the original DC controller unchanged, plus the Saturn's 3D controller 6 button dinner plate. :colbert:

11. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    There has to be some reason as to why they haven't given an option to have the original. Maybe it would've cost too much to produce both, at the amount they thought they'd sell?

12. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I asked them this a while back:
    So the original is supposedly to come out first.

Also, I bought my first RetroBit, it's bluetooth and I'm having issues syncing it to my PC. Buttons seem to go haywire trying to assign controls in emulators. But if it's plugged-in USB mode, the controls work fine? I've tried both the X-HOME and B-HOME versions of syncing the bluetooth and neither work well.

13. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Terribly sorry for the bump, but I was thinking of getting the wired Saturn controller, and its reviews are super mixed. You guys are Sega experts; should I bother getting it or not?

14. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I have one of the wired Saturn controllers, and it's... OK. My main gripe (and that goes for Retro-bit's entire Saturn range, be it original wired, USB, Bluetooth or 2.4ghz) is the lack of "clickyness" in the shoulder buttons.

None of my Retro-bit controllers have failed... YET. But then again, I tend to use my OG controllers more and the others usually get given to any second player.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Mmmmh, I see. Thank you!

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    They've fixed the clicky buttons since though, although who knows if you're gonna end up buying old stock or not... The Genesis wired pads definitely do have clicky shoulder buttons though if that's a deal breaker.

17. I just bought the bluetooth Saturn pad and I like it a lot. The shoulder buttons are definitely good n clicky.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So what's the final button order for these pads, anyway?

So far, we've seen that the 8-Button Mega Drive controller is:
    Code (Text):
    1. 0    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9
    2. X    A    B    Y    C    Z    L    R    M    S
    Do their Saturn controllers follow this order, too?

And what about the MD 6-button one? Also, is it the same as the Mega Drive Mini controllers?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  19. Scorched Dreamer

Scorched Dreamer

Tudd Member
    Linz, Austria
    Pier Pressure [Headcannon]
    I own the 2.4ghz Saturn pad and a wired Genesis controller and damn, I am honestly in love. It's really making me miss these d-pads whenever I play on my other consoles, especially for SHMUPs.

That said, does anyone know if a bluetooth Retro-Bit controller could possibly work with one of the 8bitdo bluetooth retro adapters (for SNES and Genesis). I don't own one yet but I've been contemplating..

20. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    It's hit or miss. The mappings don't always line up right.