don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Well, it's like having Robotnik Winter in Triple Trouble and totally ignoring the name Ivo Robotnik from Sonic Heroes onward. They include western stuff because they feel obliged to or it's convenient for a while, but they ignore that as soon as they can because it's not really their lore. Robotnik Winter could have easily been Robotic Winter and no japanese would have given a damn about it.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Don't they use Robotnik for the name of the Corporation that builds Extreme Gears, run by said villain?

3. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    Robotnik Winter Zone's name is a play on nuclear winter, so in that case I don't think that would've fit the bill either. Eggman Winter probably would have, though, so it's still just weird.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's also in a single line in Generations, albeit not the Japanese dub.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed, which is a shame. I'd have rather they introduce Eggman as a nickname Robotnik likes in Sonic Generations. Like, to him it means Extraordinarily Gifted Gentleman and thus prefers to be addressed as Eggman even by himself.

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

I personally prefer Eggman to Robotnik, despite it being a nickname.
    But SA2's lore and Robotnik family history made me accept it a little.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    In Sonic Adventure it looks like "Eggman" is a mockery Sonic does to Dr. Robotnik, which makes little sense.

8. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    This is old but this is why I thought characters like Mighty, Ray, Bean, Fang, and Bark didn't get Adventure interpertations. Sonic Team had nothing to do with them and didn't consider them canon.

Heck, they only included the Chaotix with the firm reminder that they weren't the actual Chaotix but "reimagined" for Heroes. They didn't want anything to do with characters they didn't even create.

I agreed with dude saying Sonic 2 and 3 don't have to take place back to back but I want to bring up that I agree with you here.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    That was added in the Localisation. The Japanese original just continues with Dr. Eggman.
    Wasn't it also brought up that the 8-Bit games use BETA elements from their 16-Bit counterparts? So Sonic Team must've had some involvement in some form.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I never knew that.

(and I almost skipped the Japanese script you posted because I thought you were quoting someone else :v)

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Maybe it's like the Daredevil series. It ties with the MCU, but it does not belong to it canonically.

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    That could be as little "involvement" as:

Can we sift through your unused ideas for inspiration?
    Sure, here you go. *hands off stack of concept art and leaves*

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I think you're thinking of Venom. Daredevil, as far as I know, is canonical to the MCU, being produced by Marvel and such. Venom, meanwhile, ties itself to the MCU but is separate from it otherwise as far as the MCU itself is concerned, due to being owned by Sony.

Still, that could be the case. Otherwise I think they're floating canon: they can be added or ignored per preference, and don't really affect the greater canon. Even Sonic Triple Trouble, while it has Sonic and Knuckles meet before Angel Island, doesn't really impact Sonic the Hedgehog 3's plot or the overall continuity.
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was when the important parts happened: Sonic Triple Trouble is simply a case of the two meeting each other earlier than thought. Otherwise, it's just not otherwise involved in the overall plot.

And yes, I still maintain Sonic Triple Trouble is a prequel if it were placed in the continuity. I honestly don't see Knuckles doing anything with regards to Robotnik beyond beating him down after his stunt with the Master Emerald in Hidden Palace Zone, Sonic Advance 2 notwithstanding. Still not sure what that was about. Sonic Adventure just has him get confused by Robotnik's claim that Sonic's also going after the Master Emerald and react rashly when he sees Sonic with an emerald, otherwise he opposes the good Doctor same as most other instances.

Reasonable, though with how closely some of these games released, it still makes me ponder. Not to mention Sonic Team were happy to make use of anything they added: Fang the Sniper being added into Sonic the Fighters, for instance. I'd expect some level of observation from them to make sure they didn't damage the brand at such an early stage, as well.

Still, you're probably right.

14. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I seem to recall that Shinichi Higashi specifically asked Naoto Oshima if he could create Fang so there certainly seemed to be an approval process of some sort for those characters. Still, the games listed above were indeed developed by other teams and even other companies in the case of the GameGear games. It's only because of that cute easter egg in Generations that Mighty and Ray were considered at all and it was so they could make DLC of Mania more worth the asking price. Sonic Team won't hesitate to reuse old characters when need be, so long as they can serve a purpose.

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Actually I was thinking in DareDevil. I remember reading somewhere that those Marvel/Netflix series are non-canon to the MCU. But that doesn't matter anyway, you got the idea right.

IMO the 8-bit games would fit the 16-bit canon better if some weird thing happened right before Sonic 2 that split the timeline. Then we would have the regular timeline and a new branch in which the 8-bit games would fit. But I think there is nothing we could use for that purpose.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Which is a shame, since they could all serve a purpose in the modern games. Fang, being a weapon wielding Jerboa, could a Wispon user with a known history of using, y'know, weapons, while reaching higher platforms due to a higher jump. Mighty and Ray have abilities that could be transferred over as well: Mighty grabs a robot and beans another with the flailing machine, while Ray can reach platforms far out of reach of other cast members with his glide.

Of course, this would require characters other than Sonic...

Little Planet? Sonic the Hedgehog CD takes place before Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and that's all about time travel.

Good Future: Robotnik is as pressured to collect Metal Sonic, as the inhabitants of the Good Future would likely deal with the body. He is forced to collect the CPUs and abandon the body. This leads to Metal Sonic Kai in Sonic Triple Trouble and Chaotix.
    Bad Future: Robotnik leaves Metal Sonic there knowing his forces won't impound it, leading to his resurrection as seen in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode Metal. Thus, he has to quickly build replacements: the Mecha Sonic duo.

I'd still prefer to make it one timeline, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Eh, it was just an idea I threw out to give you two branches. Again, I prefer them all on one timeline/world. Interesting reads, however, thank you for these.

19. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Feige never considered them to be canon and had them forced upon him by Marvel Television which was a completely seperate entity. That's why the movies never tried to mentioned the shows, going out of their way to not do so.

This got to the point where he successfully got Marvel Television shut down and now makes TV shows using his own studio, that tie directly to the movies at that.

The guy who made the original analogy comparing the two was right.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  20. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

Isn't that just Silver?

Knuckles?