don't click here

Fixes for the Sonic CD remaster?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Blue Spikeball, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    New version of the script:
    https://gamebanana.com/scripts/10481

I've implemented a fix for the third zone (act) being the wrong time zone, so no need to hex edit saves anymore. I also tweaked the Faster Time Travel cheat code to behave even closer to the original.

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks again!

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I've added the codes to the mod loader.

4. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    Script updated again. Now warping resets the timer to 5'00''00 if the current time is more than that, like in the original.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox

Is there a frame rate fix yet? The game speed is tied to fps but there's no frame limiter, so e.g. I have a 100 Hz display and the game runs almost twice as fast. I need to use Nvidia Profile Inspector to manually cap the fps at 60.

Also the game seems to do the scaling twice, it first scales to 720p or so (probably the OG resolution on the console releases) then whatever is your display, resulting in a lot of scaling artifacts. Can't really make it as crisp sharp as Mania.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

*facepalm*

So that's why I kept running out of time in some of the levels when doing a good future run in the remaster! I completely forgot that this was a thing in the original version.

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Sort of a bump, but is there a mod that can enable a "New Game Plus" where it's possible to restart the game with every time stone?

It would make collecting the Time Stones less frustrating :V

8. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    How about the control bug that constantly presses up+left and doesn't let you actually play the game?

9. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I was looking for the original hacking thread for this game to reply there, but I couldn't find it. This is close enough since I promised more details.

Given the events that happened earlier this year, (which I detail in the readme on the repository) this project is now public:
    https://github.com/Sappharad/rvm_soniccd/
    In short, someone else figured out earlier this year that none of Sega's Windows Phone 7 games were protected and posted decompiled source code to both Sonic CD and Sonic 4 Episode 1 on GitHub. This is not that, this is a rewrite of the game back into C which was necessary for the Dreamcast port to be possible. Since that information is now public though, anyone could reproduce what I've done in a couple weeks which gives me incentive not to keep this private anymore. Both of said repositories are pretty crappy though, from what I gather both are not 100% correct and Sonic CD of course would be missing all of the changes I have here such as the ability to read raw files in place of (or on top of!) Data.rsdk.

Included on the releases tab are work in progress Mac and Windows builds. I don't recommend using game data from the PC version but instead use mobile. The format changed and I've added code so PC is partially compatible, but further compatibility a low priority (saving for last?) since the mobile ports are better due to the fixes PC never got.

I still intend to finish the Dreamcast port, but that's not in a buildable state right now. It could still happen before the end of this year, but I'm not sure yet.

10. Jeiku

Jeiku

Just tried this out with my own backed up copy of version 2.0.1 and it's fantastic work so far. I'm really glad to see someone working on bringing the mobile version to PC since I've always had a chip on my shoulder regarding Sega's outsourcing of the Steam and console versions.