don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It's compatible with all the prototypes.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Ah fair enough.

The trick also works on the final game with SonED too it seems. Thanx everyone. Now I can fix up all of my Sonic 2 hacks. :D

3. Is there a way to build Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Alone with the S3K GitHub? I'm thinking of doing a hack but I don't want the complete game.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Edit s3.asm, then use buildS3.bat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Okay so I've been trying to use my HTZ 2P tutorial on one of my hacks, but it's not really performing well.

The game really chugs in certain areas (even more than the level normally does in 2P), the game slows down dramatically and the players sprites flicker. Also some path swappers seem to not behave properly, some blocks/plugs won't break and loops can't be passed through, something that seems to be processed at random. I feel like this might have something to do with extra objects I've added, but the thing is NONE of these problems seem to happen in 1 player mode or any of the other 2P levels. Any idea what might be wrong here?

Also is there any way to make a level's title card read just 'ZONE' instead of the actual act number, since I wanna make new levels but only add one act for them?

EDIT: Ignore the Act/Zone request, found it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yeah, by default 2P mode has fewer object slots available than 1P mode, so you can't have as many objects per vertical slice as in 1P, plus, it potentially has to load objects from two areas at once. It may be possible to expand the 2P mode to use the full dynamic object RAM area, but I'm not sure.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Hey guys, random question time. It's not related to hacking, but here goes.

I'm attempting some random challenges, and I don't think it's possible to defeat the final boss in Sonic 2 (or Knuckles in Sonic 2) without pressing left, can you prove me wrong?

8. It's possible to do with Knuckles, if extremely difficult:

9. nineko

nineko

italy
    Damn it, I just spent all night trying to make a "no left button" challenge of Knuckles in Sonic 2, for nothing :(

At least, that video gave me motivation to TAS the final boss, because I was ready to give up the challenge thinking it actually was impossible. I'll upload my own video soon.

edit: done'd.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  10. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Not a traditional E&RE question, but one that's adjacent enough IMO: when a game ostensibly has the same ROM for both the Master System and Game Gear version of a game (Olympic Gold and WWF WrestleMania: Steel Cage Challenge come to mind), how exactly do you emulate the game in Game Gear mode and not as though it's running on Master System hardware? Is there a discernible difference in resolution and how it's rendered on GG? I mean, I presume there is but don't know for certain.

11. nineko

nineko

italy
    This might be a starting point towards what you're looking for.

edit: damn it, I keep on starting new pages; added quote

12. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This is definitely the right direction, but has anyone actually ever implemented Maxim's notes? The first place I actually attempted to get a real screenshot from was MEKA and its newest beta, figuring that team would be on top of this--and while their ROM library correctly picks up that it's SMS-GG, even swapping extensions to .gg doesn't force the ROM to load as though it's on Game Gear hardware.

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    Sadly, I can't answer that question, that topic is the only one I could remember, and I don't think there's ever been any follow-up to it. Your best option is probably to just ask there (they don't mind about bumps very much).

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Is anyone here experienced with adding third characters to Sonic 2?

I'm having an issue with the special stage results, where losing one as the third character in player_mode leaves the total score tallying up the rings, and then when there's none left.....it just keep going on....forever. Any idea what's causing that?

15. BlueSpeedsterYT

BlueSpeedsterYT

Now rendered in full 3D Member
    Hey so uh, I have something to do, how in the actual fuck can I remove the ending cutscene? Ontop of removing access to the 2 Player options in both the options menu and the Title Screen? (This is for Sonic 2 btw, using MM's S2 Sound Driver Plus)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Anyone here good with making platforms in Sonic 2? Right now I'm trying to learn how to make one from scratch:

Code (Text):
    1. ObjD1:
    2.    moveq    #0,d0
    3.    move.b    routine(a0),d0
    4.    move.w    off_HPZP(pc,d0.w),d1
    5.    jmp    off_HPZP(pc,d1.w)
    6. ; ===========================================================================
    7. off_HPZP:
    8.    dc.w ObjD1_Init-off_HPZP
    9.    dc.w ObjD1_Check-off_HPZP; 1
    10.    dc.w ObjD1_Stand-off_HPZP; 1
    11. ; ===========================================================================
    13. ObjD1_Init:
    14.    addq.b    #2,routine(a0)
    15.    move.l    #ObjD1_MapUnc,mappings(a0)
    16.    move.w    #0,art_tile(a0)
    17.    jsr    JmpTo10_Adjust2PArtPointer
    18.    move.b    #4,render_flags(a0)
    19.    move.b    #$20,width_pixels(a0)
    20.    move.b    #4,priority(a0)
    22. ObjD1_Check:
    23.    move.w    #$20,d1
    24.    move.w    #$10,d2
    25.    move.w    #$10,d3
    26.    move.w    x_pos(a0),d4
    27.    jsr    SolidObject
    28.    move.w    x_pos(a0),d0
    29.    andi.w    #$FF80,d0
    30.    sub.w    (Camera_X_pos_coarse).w,d0
    31.    cmpi.w    #$280,d0
    32.    bhi.w    DeleteObject
    33.    jmp    DisplaySprite
    35. ObjD1_Stand:
    36.    lea    (MainCharacter).w,a1 ; a1=character
    37.    bsr.s    ObjD1_Player
    38.    lea    (Sidekick).w,a1 ; a1=character
    40. ; ||||||||||||||| S U B R O U T I N E |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    42. ObjD1_Player:
    43.    btst    #3,status(a1)
    44.    beq.s    ObjD1_End
    45.    bset    #1,status(a1)
    46.    move.b    #2,routine(a1)
    47.    move.w    y_vel(a0),y_vel(a1)
    48.    jsr    CalcSine
    49.    move.w    #$100,y_vel(a0)
    50.    jsr    ObjectMove
    53. ObjD1_End:
    54.    rts
    Right now, this code works in terms of making a solid platform the player can stand on, but does nothing else. I've tried looking at similar objects but I have trouble figuring out what means what.

My final intent is to make a platform that moves one direction when the player is on it, and then reverts back to its normal position when they come off it, but right now I'll settle for learning how to make one that moves AT ALL.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    So I'm going to try doing a simple hack of Sonic 1 using Flex 2 (just changing Sonic's sprites into Donkey Kong, cause why not)... so how do I get to editing the sprites? Do I have to rip them?

18. Tanman Tanner

Tanman Tanner

You can do Silver Sonic without pressing left, but you're going to get hit if you don't move left during the Eggman boss, there's no way around it as far as I know.

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    It actually turned out to be doable with Knuckles, I didn't try with Sonic, though.

20. Rufus_Iskv

Rufus_Iskv

Russia
    Hello! I have a problem that I've been trying to solve for about 2 hours now. I wanted to edit the title screen of Sonic 1 using Flex 2, but the catch is that the mapping for that is compressed using Enigma.
    I've tried many, many decompression tools - from purposefully crashing PlaneEd to some obscure python scripts to programs featured on info.sonicretro, and they all seem to output this same result. Judging by the fact that I got the same thing from all decompressors I used, I'm guessing I somehow used the wrong type of decoding or something along those lines.
    How do I fix this? And is there any way to avoid things like that in the future? Thank you in advance.
    [​IMG]