don't click here

Complimenting Sonic X

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Sep 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    We've done the games, now let's get into the TV shows. Doing X because it's by far the most well-known. Personally? I've started watching X (I need to kill some time and I'm trying to get through the whole series so I can make a review for the YouTube channel I've always dreamed of starting) and it's actually a LOT better than I remember. The overarching story is decent, the animation is good, Gotta Go Fast is a brilliant opening sequence, and there are actually some pretty good emotional moments (e.g., that part where Chris's mom starts crying because she feels like a bad parent... actually kinda made me sad?)

Also from where I am, I think it handles the characters from the games pretty well for the most part. For example, IMO The Last Resort actually has a really interesting look at Amy and her relationship with Sonic.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    My second-favourite Sonic TV show after AoStH. By far the most games-faithful TV show Sonic's ever had. (Boom was a lot lighter in tone than the matching game was, and Boom also wasn't the main series). I watched it at university as it aired every week, and never really had any problems with Chris either - for all the whining you get about him, from episodes 1 to 52 he has a cringe-inducing SONNIKKUUUUUUUU scream exactly twice - aside from that maybe 10 seconds of footage over 52 episodes he's fine.

Really need to go back and watch #53-72 at some point now I have subs for them (can make the same argument for anything TeamArtail/WolfPackProductions didn't sub, either).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Linkabel

Linkabel

The more time passes the more I don't like Sonic X.

Buuuuut, the intro and ending songs are cool though. Still listen to them to this day.

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    I like the art style.

I didn't watch enough of it back in the day to say much else. Maybe I'll watch the whole thing someday.

Wait, no I won't, I'm a lazy fuck.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I binge-watched the first 52 episodes of X properly for the first time this year. Yes, 4Kids dubbed it with a dreadful script and soundtrack. Yes, the animation was terrible. Yes, Chris and the human characters took far too much of the spotlight. And yes, the direct game-plot adaptations of Adventure, Adventure 2 and Battle were painfully rushed. But all that didn't stop the program from being an entertaining watch. Unlike all the other Sonic TV shows out there, X actually felt like the Sonic series I know and love. The characters... Good lord the characters were such good fun. Everyone had their strengths and weaknesses and contributed to the story. There was actually a story. The nay-sayers of the 2000s who were constantly prattling on about "Sonic doesn't need a story" were always wrong. Whilst it seems like SEGA is now, unfortunately, taking the series in that direction, the over-arching plots absolutely made X and the early/mid 2000s games.

Honestly, my favourite thing about X was that the three main protagonists were Sonic (of course), Knuckles and Rouge. Sonic normally took centre-stage with Tails, Amy and Chris to confront Eggman's plot of the week. Knuckles was a rival hero who had his own motivations and usually worked with Sonic whenever he needed to, but the two didn't get along all that well. It was a great dynamic and showed the storyline from a different perspective. And then you have Rouge and GUN... What a brilliant use of Rouge as a character. She's a true anti-hero, but she's made to work for Sonic and Eggman's mutual adversaries and has great chemistry with Topaz. Sonic, Knuckles and Rouge all come together on occasion to tackle Eggman or because they all want the same prize and goddammit it just works. Rouge has always been shackled to Shadow in the games, apart from SA2 kinda and Rivals 2. She's great as her own character and doing her own thing. The three of them together make a great set of leads.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

In case you ever get to it, TMS uploaded the whole series - yes, the entire series - on YouTube for free. Here's the playlist.

7. Pengi

Pengi

The 4Kids version is terrible, especially the noisy replacement BGM that never stops.

The Japanese version is very inconsistent, but overall a decent kids' anime. The characters act in character and it was fun to see actual adaptations of the game stories. The first episode was great, possibly the best of the whole series. If it was all as strong as that one, I think it would be remembered a lot more fondly than it is.

8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Sonic X was my introduction to the series, along the with the myriads of Sonic flash games you could find online (Ultimate Flash Sonic and FF Sonic, among others). I discovered both around... 2005 I think? The show was airing on Jetix at the time.
    I have huge, huge, HUGE nostalgia for it. It's what made me a Sonic fan and shaped my shaped my perspectives of the characters and the world of Sonic. A cheesy anime plot, a world with humans, serious and goofy moments in equal measure... I all learned to love it with Sonic X.
    I haven't rewatched it since 2013 or so, and I should absolutely get back on it soon. But what I remember of the show wasn't bad at all, nostalgia aside. I loved the animation, the characters were consistently written and the music was super cool. I don't remember being annoyed by Chris... in fact most of the human supporting cast was pretty great. Not a masterpiece, but a cool anime and a great time for an Adventure era Sonic fan.

Also, Sonic says "Shit" at one point in the Japanese dub. It's cool.

9. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I grew up with the show, so a lot of fond memories (I especially remember hating Cosmo and cheering when she died at the end :p). When I eventually got the chance to watch the show in Japanese, I definitely found a new appreciation for it (and didn't entirely hate Cosmo or Chris!). Lots of good moments in there, and I love Sonic's portrayal. Very on point to his proper personality most of the time. His laid back tendencies and general indifference to things may have been best exemplified here.

The animation is cheap digital garbage, but it's watchable and manages to look nice when it needs to. Still waiting for a Blu-ray set of the Japanese version.

10. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    When I watched it, it was jetix and it had a repetitive opening that only said "Sonic X" constantly, so I guess I watched that infamous 4kids version, but if I did, I didn't mind it at all. That run didn't show up the Chaotix or the space, so I also guess it didn't got past episode 52. I downloaded the whole series later, but never took the time to watch those extra episodes I was missing as that happened a lot later than I watched the show on TV. That means I haven't had a look at that show since 2005. Since I don't see why anyone would bash this show enough for it to have a "complimenting" thread, I'll just say why I thought then, good enough or not.

I think it was the first good Sonic show, SatAM being a good enough show at its moment but not a really good show in Sonic terms. I still prefer Sonic Boom as it's the one I've had most laughs with, but that's a comedic show, while Sonic X was something you directly identified as the same thing as the main Sonic games (plus Chris, but it's not that bad Sonic adopted a human pet). I had a lot of fun with this show, they did a great job with it. My only real complaint would be it was aimed at kids and I was already 24 or 25 when I watched it, so there was too much family friendly stuff at times (remember when Amy played with chao? So cute it disabled brains), but there were plenty of occasions when it got quite far for a kids' show too, so there was balance and something interesting for more grown-up viewers.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

Despite my gripes with the 4kids music, voice-acting, and a certain young boy, I think it's the best Sonic cartoon. It's certainly the most faithful to the games.

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I remember so well trying to download this one MOV file of the first episode in Japanese. Lol I was super hyped for this show, but eventually lost interest. Never been much of a TV watcher. Last year or so I binged Sonic X on Netflix. Very family friendly. *thumbs up*

13. Xilla

Xilla

It gave us Mike Pollock as Eggman.

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I've always thought Sonic X is miles better than the DIC cartoons FWIW. SatAM is... an okay BTAS rip-off (at least it gave us some fun characters), AoStH is only enjoyable for me because of how brain-dead and cringeworthy I find it, and Underground has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

X actually feels like Sonic (which makes sense, considering it's the show Sonic Team had the most involvement with and, if our thread on continuity is correct, might actually be canon to the games). It just feels like the people making the show actually understood the games and were able to translate them to the screen smoothly.

Kinda funny how it's the opposite for Mario...

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's worth noting btw that you should never watch the dubbed version. Putting aside anything about voice actors, 4Kids ruined the show by removing the fantastic music used in the Japanese original and replacing it with generic crap that never stops playing ever. I'm convinced most of the complaints about Sonic X are from people who've only ever seen it dubbed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    It's not just the music though. I personally find the dialogue changes to be just as objectionable. There many ways in which 4Kids ruined the show, and I find it surprising that people still watch the dub over the original.

Batman: The Animated Series?

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Yeah. People will probably disagree with me, but I always felt SatAM was trying to be like BTAS, whereas X feels like it’s trying to be Sonic.

(Coincidentally, TMS actually worked on BTAS if my memory serves me correctly.)

18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    But SatAM has literally nothing to do with BTAS. They have nothing in common. I'm struggling to even comprehend this comparison.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

It’s been a REALLY long time since I watched SatAM, so my memory may be playing games on me. From what I do remember it was mostly how both went for a darker, more bleak tone compared to other series.

20. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

US
    Neither show has a bleak tone though. SatAM has a bleak setting, but the tone of the show is more just taking itself seriously for the most part. It's still pretty goofy all things considered. BTAS also has a serious tone, and dark visuals, but I think the similarities end there, if those vague descriptions even count as "similarities". I must've missed the Batman episode where Gotham City is turned into a mechanized industrial wasteland ruled by an evil dictator who sends robots into the bordering forests to weed out the secret base of an animal rebellion.

Sonic X is still the closest to the games as far as any of the series' go, though I think a series inspired by the OVA could be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.