don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    New small random video. Harmless fun.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Looking lovely as always. Can't wait to get a chance to play this (whenever that is, take your time of course).

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England

Random clip I had put on Twitter!

4. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I saw this on Twitter, as well as other Sonic engines that were showcased performing similar feats, and it's fascinating how flexible (and durable!) your collisions are! (Tiny loops at high-speeds throw my noggin for a loop.) It's also validating that you're not alone in creating in-game, on-the-fly collision masks for Sonic that can be almost any shape imaginable.

Things like this make me wonder. Nowadays, a point has been reached with fan games where physics "accuracy" is so well-documented, and not as intimidating to replicate from-scratch anymore as a result. The focus for newer Sonic frameworks seems to have shifted from "How close can we get to the original?", to "How can we do it in an entirely new technical manner?", and I love what that answer has developed into with Sonic Studio.

It's given me a higher bar to reach for with a future project, after my current one. My first earnest attempt at Sonic collisions is built like an antique, it's certainly not capable of any of this. Your project has made me seriously re-evaluate how I will attempt collisions in 2D games with editors moving forward, as I see more videos of Sonic Studio in action.

Still looking forward to the day that Sonic Studio is ready for its big debut! Video demonstrations like this are great at keeping up the excitement/conversation around the game.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I definitely agree!

Some new screenshots of Marble:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Marble with organic slopes for once is gonna be hella nice. Can't wait to see what people make with this tileset!

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Green Hill Zone (Night) by Jahn Davis!

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Everything this project produces is just gold.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Chaud

Chaud

I avoid commenting on this post every time I see an update for fear of sounding like a broken record, because basically I would always be repeating how impressed I am with the polish of this project and how incredible everything looks.

So... Yeah, literally what I just said in the previous paragraph. :V

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Massively appreciate the work you're doing brother, look forward to seeing more!

Edit: My son will love this if he ever gets his hands on it heheh

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Interface upgrades (you can customise the colour)
    [​IMG]

Also, a closer look at the lil icon at the right there
    [​IMG]

If you're still wondering what the right is, it's a recently used items area. You can pin items and all that cool stuff.

The top is where context stuff appears, like options for editing a shape or object, or tools depending on what editor you are in.

12. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That's a really cute detail! And the top-part of the screen looks so much free-er, compared to before. This is a nice revamp! Fewer items on-screen at a time, but more clarity.

A recently used items sidebar is something I want to add to my project eventually, as well. When I first saw it in Mario Maker, it just seemed like clutter- then, after a while of making levels, I couldn't believe how useful it was! It'd seem silly to not have it at this point.

And I like the mention of pinning specific items to it. That's something I would have liked in Super Mario Maker 2, as well, because stuff you were still using easily gets lost when you're furiously putting a level together! :V

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Knuckles Artwork
    With thanks to tripplejaz for help with the original sketch
    [​IMG]

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Wallpaper
    [​IMG]

15. Felik

Felik

This wallpaper looks beautiful. You imitated original japanese boxart masterfully.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Some fresh out of the oven screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, reposting a very relevant tweet here (includes a video):
    https://twitter.com/SonicStudioProj/status/1369255797193142272

So, decorations are going to be automatic. In previous vids you might have seen trees being added individually but this is simply no fun to do, especially for an entire stage. Working on ways to be able to customise this as much as possible.

Another huge reason is the swapping of zone themes. If you placed down a bunch of GHZ trees than switch over to chem plant... your trees are going to have to be removed. Same goes for all stage specific decorations. Why not mix and match? Cause...it looks really bad.

But now, any of these automatic decorations, even after you have adjusted them, can be automatically swapped for the correct stage specific decor and back again with no issue and no effort.
    ---
    Additionally here I'll mention a couple things:
    I can't cover all bases by just "adding an option" to place decorations manually, because it would take too long to finish an entire decoration editor regardless.
    And that doing this and not having to store every tree individually decreases filesize too, which is good.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Woah now -- you didn't warn me the plate was hot. Nice work as usual -- I'm stoked to see this in action.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Damn, automatic decorations are a way better idea, and great execution. This is gonna be so much more fun to mess around with than Mario Maker was.

19. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Looking good! Constantly impressed at your spritework.

Also just FYI - your signature has a broken link to your YouTube channel. :)

20. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Additionally, it should have an upper-case letter T in the signature. :eng101: