don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The anthros' shoes are boots!? Whoa, I'd never have guessed. I guess it kind of makes sense, considering Sonic's shoes were inspired by Michael Jackson's boots.

3. Pengi

Pengi

Manabu Kusunoki did create Ray and Mighty.

Naoto Ohshima drew them in that "Sonic's Friends" picture around 1991/1992, which was probably for an internal style guide. Ohshima changed their shoes and body proportions.

4. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Mighty and Ray are clearly rushed, as is Plus overall. To me the most obvious example of the lack of polish compared to the first release was Knuckles' sprites in the Mirage Salloon photo ending- where we found sprites in the files where he's off-model and way too big and roughly shaded, but they were corrected for the final version... by a version that's accurately sized, but still off-model and arguably roughly shaded.

So yeah, doesn't surprise me if they just couldn't afford the time to give Mighty and especially Ray a better set of sprites.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    One from our old buds at SegaDriven:

[​IMG]
    From Harmony issue 154. There is only one page scanned.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Neat! Are those some beta SA1 redesigns?

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    4 is weird as hell (what was with late 90s Oshima and super bendy legs, like his leg wraps around the other).

But in an odd way though, 4 looks like a more "extreme" version of the final movie Sonic.

1 is perfection. Why couldn't we have just had that design.

8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    It's the tail.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh shit that is the tail. That picture is a mess lol.

I swear there was a piece of pre Adventure art though where Sonics legs wrapped around each other. I want to say Sonic's eyes were red in that piece.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yup.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  11. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k

Sonic running on a SNES. Turns out Nintendo can actually do what Nintendon't.

12. Pengi

Pengi

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Bra...t_20th_anniversary_interview_extravaganza.php

https://www.fanbyte.com/features/sonic-hedgehog-satoshi-okano/

1 = Yuji Uekawa
    2 = Satoshi Okano
    3 = Naoto Ohshima

So 4 must be Takumi Miyake (creator of Espio).

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

The Genesis was a piece of shit compared to the SNES lol.

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Pretty sure the MD could do more than the SNES without chips, but was generally more graphically limited (less colors, no transparencies, no hardware-based rotation, etc.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

The SNES’s sound chip shits all over the Genesis’s too, IIRC. I remember David Wise saying in an interview he could have never composed the DKC games if he’d been working on the Genesis.

16. Powpuck

Powpuck

The SNES sample-based music can always sound better given said samples exist somewhere outside the hardware in much higher fidelity; The Mega Drive's sounds can only come from a Mega Drive and as such are both timeless and distinct.

17. Powpuck

Powpuck

Anyways, I came back here because I found a preview of Sonic 3 within an obscure comic, Max Overload! issue 2.

I'm not eagle-eyed to know if any of the screenshots are noteworthy, but here you go.

EDIT: I guess this was already posted in this thread earlier. I used the search function, and nothing came up. Please trash.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  18. SNES audio is normally considered better than Genesis audio, but most of the time the samples sound way too muffled to me, so I generally prefer the crispiness of the Genesis.

In the end, I think both platforms have their pros and cons, and the quality of the games ultimately depends on the competence of the developers more than on the hardware differences. A good coder/artist/composer will do wonders with whatever resources they have, and both the SNES and the Genesis have a lot to offer.

Still, even though I was a SEGA kid growing up, I'm loving the reactions of fanboys who are always saying what's possible and what's not (often without having ever written a single line of code)!

But I find it equality satisfying to see the Genesis running StarFox (without co-processors) or Wolfenstein 3D (with better resolution but less colors).

19. Linkabel

Linkabel

Yep, Okano just confirmed the list.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    4 looks like Archie's Scourge the Hedgehog to me.