don't click here

Art Favourite 2D sprites (Mega Drive / Genesis and add-ons)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by nineko, Jul 22, 2020.

Tags:

Which are your favourite sprites?

1. Sonic 1

15.9%
  2. Sonic 2

32.6%
  3. Sonic 3 & Knuckles

43.9%
  4. Sonic CD

25.8%
  5. Knuckles' Chaotix

23.5%
  6. Sonic Crackers

7.6%
  7. Sonic Eraser

3.8%
  8. Sonic Mania

43.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I went with S3K and SCD, because I think they're both the best at what they were trying to do.

Sonic CD in particular has a few extra sprites from S1 that just help sell Sonic's personality that much more. Sonic 2 whittles that away just a little bit, so I have to go with SCD.

S3K aims for a completely different style, and it absolutely works in S3K itself, so that gets the vote too.

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Sonic 2 was the pinnacle of what has been established so far. In contrast, Sonic 3 was the point where things started to change. It was also the point where levels began to feel more like actual locations thanks to level transitions and in-game cutscenes. It's a lot darker than its predecessors, too. Almost like a reboot, but without breaking with tradition.

I didn't vote for Mania because of two things. First, there are a few instances where I wholeheartedly dislike Mania's graphics (the sprites for the hooligans look bad, and you know it). And second, it's purely fanservice. That's also the reason why I prefer the style of the Advance series.

What makes a good 2D game nowadays, I wonder?

3. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can remember both S3&K and SCD did away with the true cornerstone of the series, which is Robotnik laughing when you get hit. A good 2D game nowadays would have to bring this back immediately before anything else.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The next 2D Sonic game should go a step further and have Robotnik laugh harder if you die/get a game over.

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    2D sprites are the video game equivalent of traditional animation. They've largely been replaced by 3D graphics because 3D modeling is easier to work with, but when someone actually puts a TON of effort into the older, more traditional style, you'll get something that looks infinitely better and far more interesting to look at. A good 2D game, in my opinion, tries to do what hasn't already been done while respecting the limitations of the art form.

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Actually, there is something that's never been done before. I always felt that there is a discrepancy between the title screens and Sonic's in-game sprites. I know it might sound crazy, but graphics with the same quality as Mania's title screen animation would be absolutely mind-blowing.

But good luck finding someone crazy enough to create a whole game in that art style...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  7. I guess I like Sonic's sprites from Sonic 2 better, but I prefer everything else from Sonic 3&K, specially the colors and the shading. Manias's sprites are well animated and all, but they look very shiny/plasticky. I greatly dislike Advance's sprites because of the cell shading. Dark outlines look terrible at low resolutions.

8. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Maybe rehash wasn't the right word but if we're going to get technical I'm not "against" Mania. I like it quite a bit.

I'll do better next time, this is my promise to you.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Yeah I didn't mean to insinuate that your post had any malicious intent with my reply, and I do generally agree with the point you made. It's just that for me, that particular word been an easy term people who want to be disingenuous about the game reach for and that's become a personal pet peeve. IMO it's akin to when people slate Mania as a "glorified ROMhack" when its clearly anything but.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Chaotix absolutely has the best graphics and sprites of any Sonic game. I know Sonic isn’t officially in it - JJFTails’ hack was a lovely way to see what it could’ve been - other than that; Sonic CD stands out to me, he has slightly more attitude than Sonic 1. Also, tiny Sonic is adorable af.

Overall, I know the general preference seems to be Sonic 3/K. I’m not sure why. I don’t really like the shading on the actual sprites. Personal opinion.

I really like the sprites in Sonic Pocket Adventure for the Neo Geo Pocket Colour. Very cute.

My favourite sprites for Tails are from Tails’ Adventure from the GG.

Nobody ever seems to bring up how much character the Sonic Spinball sprites are, especially the GG version is incredibly impressive for its limitations.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I can't believe I forgot Sonic Spinball! And I even included Eraser of all things. I wonder if I should add Spinball to the poll since I do have the option to do so, but I'm unfamiliar with this forum software and I'm afraid it would wipe the existing votes. If a moderator with more knowledge and/or more power than me wants to add Spinball, by all means, by my guest.

I'd rather not include SPA and the 8-bit titles, though. They deserve their own dedicated poll, in my opinion. A poll in which I'd vote for Sonic Triple Trouble of course, but that's something for another day.

edit: added faux quote per new page