don't click here

HivePal v2.2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Hivebrain, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    This is complete rewrite of the old HivePal. New features include gradient creation, editing individual bits (including the unused $F111 ones), and editing by assembly (dc.w only; everything else is ignored).

Let me know of any bugs. There are probably ways to crash the program I haven't thought of.

https://retrocdn.net/images/0/0c/HivePal_v2.1.7z

Image2.png

2. Nintorch

Nintorch

Just another programmer. Member
    There are a lot actually..
    Looks interesting IMO, especially the gradient feature

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Wow, wasn't expecting to see this come back, cool! Add little endian support pls.

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I appreciate accurate hardware colours being used, I see Tiido's voltage colours in there, nice~ The "show invalid colours" being off I assume is only looking for words masked to 0EEE? Either way it surprisingly visually masks out non-palettes somewhat well, nice!

A few suggestions:
    • With colour grades in mind, would it be much to ask for a checkbox to display the incorrect $20 interval grades most emulators use, rather than Tiido's colours? (while the latter is great, I still occasionally have some uses for the former)
    • Not sure what use this would be, but I'm sure someone would find a use somewhere, a checkbox for shadow/highlight view of the colours.
    • The palette display area on the left, rather than it being a fixed $10 x 4 for the palette size, mayhaps make this area resize-able, what I mean is, for example if you had a palette cycle of 8 frames of 4 colours per cycle each, you could resize the display to be 4 colours by 8 and see those cycles listed neatly in their respective order/alignment.

5. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    That's exactly how it works, by checking each word with a bitmask. I didn't know Tiido found those colour values (I've had them in a text file on my desktop for years), but I'll make sure to credit him next time.

I can add a menu for different colour schemes no problem. Changing the palette display might be tricky, but I could add a 2nd resizeable palette display in the unused space.

Should be easy enough. When are palettes ever stored like that though?

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    A separate display area would be more than OK, like I said, it's nothing more than a suggestion at best and not necessarily for my needs, but should I need to use the tool, that would be something I'd likely need it for.
    I'd imagine (speculation of course though MainMemory will likely correct me here) the PC ports such as Sonic & Knuckles Collection or Sonic CD might, given they were converted to C and compiled for x86. Regen's savestates store the CRAM section as little endian too though I think that might be an oversight.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Just S&KC, CD uses 24-bit palettes.

8. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Version 2.2 new features:
    • Brightness menu with options for "real", shadow, highlight and Genecyst colour schemes.
    • Little endian checkbox.
    • Export bin and tpl of current palette.
    • Animation viewer. It's not exactly what you asked for, it's better! (maybe)
    https://retrocdn.net/images/f/f3/HivePal_v2.2.7z

Image2.png

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
  10. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Oh wow, I didn't even know there was a 2.x version. This is my go-to MD palette editor, thanks a bunch for developing it further and open sourcing it!