don't click here

Hack Elemental Shields in Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Clownacy, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Back in 2014, I made a video showing off a hack of Sonic 1 that featured the Elemental Shields. It never had a download link, leading to a lot of miffed comments.

After all these years, I decided to remake the hack, and start a video series showing the process of creating it.

Now that the series has concluded, the hack is complete and ready to be released.

As you can imagine, it's just Sonic 1 with the Elemental Shields: it has the graphics, sounds, Sonic can use the shields' abilities, the Lightning Shield attracts rings, the Bubble Shield lets you breathe underwater, the shields deflect projectiles and make you immune to fire/electric attacks, etc.

Download link:
    http://www.sonicresearch.org/clownacy/Elemental-Shields-in-Sonic-1-v1.0.zip

Last edited: Jul 18, 2020
  2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Apologies as I have not played the rom yet, but how are the shields distributed throughout the levels? Did you follow the same placement as the Mobile remakes with the shields enabled, or are they of your own placing?

3. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    They're kind of random, but also not: the shield monitor cycles through all three shields, and depending on which icon is showing when you break it, you get that shield. This allows a player with enough skill to get whatever shield they want - otherwise, they have to make do with random shields.

The only exception is Labyrinth Zone, where all underwater monitors contain a Bubble Shield, because Lightning Shields and Fire Shields are lost when Sonic touches water.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Thank you for that. I always thought it was a dick move for the S3K version of Launch Base Act 2 to put a fire shield right before a massive pool of water.