don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh god, that takes me back. Used to watch a fair chunk of Games World back in the day, and that tune is very nostalgic.

2. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    It's a shame Games World isn't available in full like Gamesmaster and Bad Influence are, I first became aware of protos being a thing because they did a feature on them being sold illegally!

Plus the more Diane Youdale, the better.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nobody I knew even had Sky in the 1990s. Except for pubs.

Oh and Center Parcs. Because I was watching Cartoon Network there on the day Diana died.

I vaguely remember some debate about whether taping Sky was even possible, but again... nobody had it. Not until it went digital and there was a reason to care, but that was well past Games World's prime.

4. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    I remember Sky One being available via our communal aerial until they started scrambling programmes in.....1993? After that you needed a set top box to receive it (we got one). I've got a few old tapes of Sky recordings (mainly the Simpsons) lying around from 91-92.

Come to think of it, I should have quite a few Cybernet episodes from the late 90s too, although a bit foolishly I tended to just partially tape over them once all the stuff I was interested in had been shown! Pretty sure I've got most of the first series or two of Bits too.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    We had analogue Sky back in the early 90s which is why I remember Games World - it being on 5 days a week meant I watched a lot more of it than GamesMaster and I don't think I ever watched Bad Influence at all... it is a shame that it's not well recorded (and you can VHS from analogue Sky, to answer that question).

6. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
  7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    oh my god, I forgot he did a P3 remix!!

8. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member

At 16:48 (can't figure out how to do timestamps sorry) There's a letter from a tester giving insight on the development of Sonic Heroes.

Main takeaways:
    *There were so many bugs that management said "if a bug doesn't prevent you from finishing the level, it's not to be considered a bug, do not submit it."
    *A single bug "the showstopper" was responsible for delaying the game into January.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So they knew they were dropping a hot turd. I knew it. God I have to wonder what the showstopper bug was though.

EDIT: Oh they say what the bug is. Apparently if Sonic ran at a closed door that required switches to open at full speed, he would clip through the door and then just enters a black void of nothingness and just runs on forever. Also the reason the level design and textures were so flat and bland and why there was like no lighting was due to them not getting multiplatform development, which fair enough but it certainly explains a lot.

I'll never unders why people like that game, but also ffs game grumps way to pick the shittiest version on purpose.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    EDIT: trash plz

11. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    bugs that stop release are called "showstoppers" or "blockers" in general, btw

not even letting them submit small ones is fucking garbage though. they must've been really rushed...again.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Damn the PS2.

13. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    One of the many reoccurring things of the Game Grumps Sonic Heroes play through was that during the bosses, the letters at the start would fade away but the leftmost letter would very faintly stay. I grew up on the ps2 version and had never remember seeing that happen. Is it really the act of having non HD ancient blurred televisions back then that I never noticed?

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I mean, speaking as someone who's been watching Grumps from early-Jon era, Arin takes every opportunity he can to make Sonic games look as bad as possible or worse than they actually are for views, so this is just par for the course. He will have chosen the PS2 Heroes for the exact same reason he chose the Wii version of Unleashed, etc.

I had the PS2 version of Heroes back in the day (infamously, as some here will know), but the GameCube version is the superior one that you should be playing. That said I can't say other than the loading times and some aliasing differences I never really found much difference between the two in play.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh I'm aware of Arin's past with Sonic, and Sonic's Social media's weird relationship with him.

Make your series look good by giving gifts to people who go out of their way to make your games look as bad as possible.

Good

Oh and @SystemsReady, yup. Gotta get that almighty Christmas 2004 dollar. It's funny, I remember getting annoyed when this game was delayed back then. Now I know why.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    This is a lot more common than you think. Developers are always rushed to deadlines, and eventually either the testers are told "don't submit minor bugs", or the programmers are told "don't fix minor bugs". There comes a point where perfect is the enemy of good, and publishers release three months before that point.

17. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom

Jon gets a major thing wrong in this video. He says the game uses horizontal interrupts to squish down a tall image of the screen, which he says explains the weird blocky tiles in VRAM. What Sonic 2 actually does is store 4 variants of the same screen at once, and uses horizontal scrolling per scanline to display which variant to use, which then is what makes it appear smoother. There's quite a few intricacies to how to fully works, but this is the general gist of it.

[​IMG]

upload_2020-7-13_14-29-59.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  18. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    I came here just because I was wondering about that. Thanks for clearing it up

19. nesboy43

nesboy43

Has this been shown before? This channel has a ton of animation prototypes for sonic xtreme that I've never seen before.

20. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    Yes.